New Lockers- standard size now $2

Anyone know how you pay for these lockers? Canadian here who wasn't planning on traveling with a ton of American change.

Hopefully someone can confirm with the new ones, but the times I've paid for them, I used my credit card. I'm not sure they take change? Might just be cash and card.

Hopefully someone can confirm with the new ones, but the times I've paid for them, I used my credit card. I'm not sure they take change? Might just be cash and card.

Okay so long as there's card. Sorry about the change - I derped and forgot I need dollar bills and not toonies.

I don't think it was to make money necessarily. I think the large lockers were filling up, and then people who had large items couldn't get a locker. Over Thanksgiving, we saw that the large locker banks were pretty full, if not full. However, we were always able to get a large locker. I used a small locker for our smaller items, but our camera bag and 3 water bottles were not going to fit in the small locker. They were all free over Thanksgiving.

Agreed. I think the fees are there to match supply with demand. Large lockers are in limited supply now.

Of course the scarcity was artificially created by Universal. One has to wonder why that decision was made. How on earth did they decide that the ideal shape was that of a post office box knowing that refillable cups are a thing? Someone really didn't understand guest behavior when they made that design decision.

I'm not happy about this, but ill wait and see when I go next time.
If my small SLR bag does not fit that will be a big issue for me.

Seaworld charges you for even the small lockers - and that was something that really annoyed me.

That being said you cant compare the requirement to lock things up for the coasters to being able to carry bags on at Disney- the Disney coasters are in no way in the same class as say the Hulk.

Can someone list all the rides that require lockers?
I’m wondering if it is really as big an expense as we are imagining.

Seaworld charges you for even the small lockers - and that was something that really annoyed me.

That being said you cant compare the requirement to lock things up for the coasters to being able to carry bags on at Disney- the Disney coasters are in no way in the same class as say the Hulk.

Do you have a picture of your SLR bag? I was using the following bag, not full, over Thanksgiving. I really had to squash the bag flat to get it in, especially on the top most lockers, which seem to have even less room than the rest. I don't think our Nikon 810 will fit in the small lockers with a lens attached. The body itself would fit flat on its back but maybe not upright.

https://www.shopdisney.com/pineapple-swirl-mini-backpack-by-loungefly-1481957

1 agree, but at DLR you can take a backpack or whatever you want on the Incredicoaster (formerly California Screamin). Just because Disney lets you do it doesn’t make it a good idea. I had a water bottle come out of its pocket in the backpack that would have likely flown out as a projectile had I not put my foot on it.

1 agree, but at DLR you can take a backpack or whatever you want on the Incredicoaster (formerly California Screamin). Just because Disney lets you do it doesn’t make it a good idea. I had a water bottle come out of its pocket in the backpack that would have likely flown out as a projectile had I not put my foot on it.

We usually ride FJ, Gringotts, and Hulk several times a day. MIB at least once a day

Do you have a picture of your SLR bag? I was using the following bag, not full, over Thanksgiving. I really had to squash the bag flat to get it in, especially on the top most lockers, which seem to have even less room than the rest. I don't think our Nikon 810 will fit in the small lockers with a lens attached. The body itself would fit flat on its back but maybe not upright.

https://www.shopdisney.com/pineapple-swirl-mini-backpack-by-loungefly-1481957
Thanks
The bag I have looks a bit more squishable, but it is slightly larger - so I guess I'll find out when I go.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/676052-REG/Lowepro_LP36172_PEU_SlingShot_102_AW_Camera.html
The measurements are 8.7 x 8.3 x 15.9 inches - you bad is 10 1/2'' H x 7'' W x 6 1/2'' D

If it does fit it will be very tight - it may end up that I have camera days and non camera days.
I still have a really nice large sensor pocket camera for the on camera days and as others said it is freeing to not have a bag

Thanks
The bag I have looks a bit more squishable, but it is slightly larger - so I guess I'll find out when I go.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/676052-REG/Lowepro_LP36172_PEU_SlingShot_102_AW_Camera.html
The measurements are 8.7 x 8.3 x 15.9 inches - you bad is 10 1/2'' H x 7'' W x 6 1/2'' D

If it does fit it will be very tight - it may end up that I have camera days and non camera days.
I still have a really nice large sensor pocket camera for the on camera days and as others said it is freeing to not have a bag

We have wand days and non-wand days. Cup days and non-cup days. Camera days and non-camera days.

This is where staying on site is very convenient. We're able to just bring what we need for a 4 hour park visit and then head back to the room. Wands in the morning, camera at night or vice versa. Traveling light has always been beneficial, but now it is more important than ever.

We are here now and have found the locker situation to be fine. The ticket thing is super quick and the messenger bag I take to work, stuffed with phones, umbrellas, snacks fit just fine in the free lockers with enough room to fit the refillable mug in in front of it. One thing that did surprise me in a good way and I wonder if this is new is that every time we've used a free locker it was good for two hours--even when the rides only had five minute waits. We used a Hulk locker to do Jurassic Park, Ripsaw twice and the Barges four times and still had plenty of time to spare, despite Hulk having a posted wait time of ten minutes.

We are here now and have found the locker situation to be fine. The ticket thing is super quick and the messenger bag I take to work, stuffed with phones, umbrellas, snacks fit just fine in the free lockers with enough room to fit the refillable mug in in front of it. One thing that did surprise me in a good way and I wonder if this is new is that every time we've used a free locker it was good for two hours--even when the rides only had five minute waits. We used a Hulk locker to do Jurassic Park, Ripsaw twice and the Barges four times and still had plenty of time to spare, despite Hulk having a posted wait time of ten minutes.

:thanks:
for sharing your first hand experience!

It will help others trying to visualize what all the locker will hold

How do you know how much time you have for your locker?

Thanks

Even though my bag is technically 6.5" deep, it squishes down at least an inch or so. We think all of the lockers are about 20" deep. Our camera bag plus 2 water bottles in the side pockets fits into the lockers. The depth might be an issue on yours if it doesn't squish down a lot from the ~8". We might do non-camera days next trip too.

I’m here now, and I hate the new locker system. While I appreciate the ease of using them, this trip is just my daughter and myself, and we are spending a lot of money on the lockers. We don’t carry a lot (2 strings bags, wand) but I do take advantage of the refillable cup and popcorn bucket. Even if we are careful to only have an empty cup, the popcorn bucket will not fit in the smaller locker (even with the top off), and by less than 1/4 of an inch. I tried with the top off, but the lip doesn’t fit without feeling like it will crack. The money we save on snacks by getting popcorn refills is getting sucked up by locker fees. The lockers at FJ we’re still free.

FYI, I find that the time allotted depends on how long the posted wait time is- we had some say they expired in 1 hr 40 minutes, 1 hour, etc. they only take credit cards at most terminals, if you pay cash you use a cash station.

I find it aggravating that the parks encourage the purchase of refillable buckets/cups, and then make you use a locker that won’t fit these things.

I don’t think a regular DSLR bag will fit in the small lockers. Mine would not, as it is not “squishable”.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!