New Lockers- standard size now $2

I find it aggravating that the parks encourage the purchase of refillable buckets/cups, and then make you use a locker that won’t fit these things.

THIS. I'm debating not even bringing my cup back for our one day this trip because I don't feel like cleaning it out before rides, sitting it on its side and hoping it's clean enough, refill, over and over. Not to mention sitting that straw on the side. :crazy2: No more popcorn buckets for us, that's for sure.

I guess it remains to be seen for me how this will work. I worry about small lockers not being available since regular locker now incurs a charge. Family or friends who were able to share 1 regular locker will now require multiple small lockers. Lessening availability.
I pack light at the parks with a small crossbody for phone, a few cards, cash and chapstick. Sometimes in cooler weather I use a string bag in case I need to carry a light jacket. I think this would fit. But if I’m with both daughters we’d prob need multiple lockers if we all had small crossbodies and light jackets, where as if larger locker were free we could share.

I’m glad to hear they are operating on something other than fingerprints! I still have memories of Tropical Storm Fay. Everyone’s fingers were waterlogged and lockers wouldn’t work!

Last edited:
In the link below, it talks about "bag swap", same as "child swap". I didn't see anyone doing a bag swap when we were there. Is there a separate line? How does that all work?

http://universal.wdwinfo.com/universal-now-charging-2-for-large-lockers-while-riding/
It's the same thing. There's no 'line' for either "child" or "bag" swap and you won't see bag swap talked about anywhere around the parks.

If you want to use child swap, you get in line (either standby or express depending on your situation) and tall the CMs along the way you want to do child swap. They will point you in the right direction.

The same will work for a bag swap. Just explain that 1 (or more) of your party will split off to hold the bag(s). The bag holder(s) will be taken to the child swap area. Once the first part of the party rides, you can meet the others in the child swap area and trade off.

At some point, Universal might decide to eliminate this option, who knows.

I guess it remains to be seen for me how this will work. I worry about small lockers not being available since regular locker now incurs a charge. Family or friends who were able to share 1 regular locker will now require multiple small lockers. Lessening availability.
I pack light at the parks with a small crossbody for phone, a few cards, cash and chapstick. Sometimes in cooler weather I use a string bag in case I need to carry a light jacket. I think this would fit. But if I’m with both daughters we’d prob need multiple lockers if we all had small crossbodies and light jackets, where as if larger locker were free we could share.

I’m glad to here they are operating on something other than fingerprints! I still have memories of Tropical Storm Fay. Everyone’s fingers were waterlogged and lockers wouldn’t work!

There seemed to be a lot of small lockers. I have heard that 2 small lockers make 1 big locker volume-wise, ignoring structure. So, it may increase availability. I know for the 3 of us, we always have to use a big locker for the water bottles and camera bag. My little bag won't fit with that stuff, so I would have to use a big locker for my stuff too. Over Thanksgiving, when lockers were still free, we were using 1 large and 1 small. I guess we will see. It was really busy over Thanksgiving, and there were plenty of small lockers available at the non-WWOHP rides. Gringott's hadn't switched over yet. One day there was a 20 minute wait for a locker, not to mention the wait afterward. The large lockers were fairly full though. I have been at the park when it was hard to get a locker at Mummy, but we didn't have any issues over Thanksgiving. Also, there is only 1 or 2 banks of large lockers and at least 3 or 4 times as many banks of small lockers at each ride. I think we will just have to see how stuff plays out. It may end up being a wash, and the locker rooms will be as crowded as usual. However, using the ticket should help speed up the recovery process. I usually have to try at least twice and sometimes more. Scanners don't like my fingers:(

I wasn't a fan of the new lockers. I always bring my DSLR to the parks but I just carry it in my purse (I don't bring multiple lenses or other gear). I could get my bag and camera in the new lockers but I had to take my camera out of my purse, put it in separately and then really squish my bag down. It took me longer than the old lockers, where I'd just open the door, toss my bag in and go. It was very quiet the day I was there so I don't know if the new lockers succeed in making things less crowded (the ones near Escape From Gringotts were still a disaster - totally crowded and wayyy too many people in a small area). I do like using your ticket instead of your fingerprint, that's the only positive I could see.

We did FJ yesterday and used small locker-we got dd med size purse (with souvenir glass in it from dinner), all our phones, a bag with bulky sweatshirt, and DH’s light coat in the small locker. Guess we had smooshable items? We will see what happens when dd wants to bring her Hogwarts backpack with Fawkes in it if well still get to use one small locker-or have to get two small lockers.

We were down a month ago and they had the new lockers at MiB. I managed to get our smallish backpack with HP wand box and a small purse in without too much difficulty.

It was also nice to scan a park ticket and not have to recall a locker # upon return.

I apologize if this has been asked before - are the free lockers the old lockers? We will be a party of 9 in January - and last November we went fairly light (only one small backpack, 2 drawstring bags and a fanny pack), but we still have girls who use wands and want to bring wands every day. We already had one wand broken last year because it was "shoved" a little non too gently into the lockers last year by a brother. If the free lockers are the old lockers, I know they'll still fit, we just have to be careful, but if the free lockers were reduced in size, we'll have to re-think our strategy. Thank you!

The new free ones are smaller than the old free ones. I think the two major coasters switched before your last visit. The new ones are the same width and depth, but barely taller than a park ticket.

The new free ones are smaller than the old free ones. I think the two major coasters switched before your last visit. The new ones are the same width and depth, but barely taller than a park ticket.
thanks. yikes. that might have been where we broke a wand. I'm trying to figure out if we need to plan partial days where we walk back to the hotel and ditch the wands for the rest of the day before tackling some of the bigger rides. I guess if I break one I'll just have to take it to the "repair" shop we've used before and blame it on the lockers. ROFL. :rotfl2: See what they do with that!:laughing:

thanks. yikes. that might have been where we broke a wand. I'm trying to figure out if we need to plan partial days where we walk back to the hotel and ditch the wands for the rest of the day before tackling some of the bigger rides. I guess if I break one I'll just have to take it to the "repair" shop we've used before and blame it on the lockers. ROFL. :rotfl2: See what they do with that!:laughing:

The free lockers are as deep and wide as the old lockers, just not as tall. So you should be find laying them down flat.

Are small fanny packs or a small flat cross body purse allowed at all on these specific rides, for wallet/iPhone/meds? Or does everything need to go into a locker? This will be our first time at UO/IOA.

Are small fanny packs or a small flat cross body purse allowed at all on these specific rides, for wallet/iPhone/meds? Or does everything need to go into a locker? This will be our first time at UO/IOA.
No
Only specific rides have no carry on restrictions
Believe it has 6 rides on the list on the UO website

The small lockers will work for me but...does it fit an interactive wand that I may purchase?

It should, we fit my son's new wand in it's Olivander's box in the small locker, had to kind of angle it but it did fit in addition to my Eddie Bauer daypack and a large pullover fleece. The lockers are deep.

That is definitely an exaggeration.
We used the free lockers with my DD stuffed Hogwarts express backpack all day without issue until the very last ride of the day-when she had a mug, spiderman piggy bank and lots of other purchases, plus some spare clothes (water rides) stuffed in. Only time it wouldn't squish enough to fit.

That is definitely an exaggeration.

We used the free lockers with my DD stuffed Hogwarts express backpack all day without issue until the very last ride of the day-when she had a mug, spiderman piggy bank and lots of other purchases, plus some spare clothes (water rides) stuffed in. Only time it wouldn't squish enough to fit.

It is not an exaggeration or lie. I held my annual pass inside the new locker and there literally was maybe 1.5 inches of clearance above it. I was holding it with the short side of the pass on the bottom of the locker.

This has me worried about my upcoming trip. As the planner of the group, how should I tell people to pack for the day? Will a pair of shoes fit in the new lockers? I thought about us taking a change of clothes or at least shoes for the water rides. What rides do they force you to use the locker for EVERYTHING including cell phones other than Hulk, RRR, and FJ? I think those were the only 3 I remember ever having to use. I usually go bagless. I really do feel like having to use lockers is a big negative compared to Disney, and now that they are charging for it it's even worse. Maybe I'm worrying about nothing, but this just seems so much more complicated than planning for the day than I'm used to.

As the planner of the group, how should I tell people to pack for the day? Will a pair of shoes fit in the new lockers? I thought about us taking a change of clothes or at least shoes for the water rides.

Lockers for the water rides have always been optional and for a fee. No one is forced to use a locker on the water rides, and those that want to will have to pay for one which is how its always been. To my knowledge, these lockers haven't been changed and a large enough to hold a backpack with shoes or a change of clothes. They can also rent a locker (for a fee) at the front of the park to store those things in for the day so they don't have to carry them around.

What rides do they force you to use the locker for EVERYTHING including cell phones other than Hulk, RRR, and FJ?

Hulk and RRR have metal detectors and you are not permitted to have anything on your person except for a lanyard. Forbidden Journey, Gringotts, Mummy, and Men in Black do not have metal detectors so you can have items in your pocket but you are not permitted to bring a bag on. The only exception to that is if the bag has a three prong clasp, such as a fanny pack.

Personally, I don't think there's much to worry about. If someone has enough stuff that they can't fit it in the small locker, the worst case scenario is that they'll have to pay $20 for an all day rental. Less if they don't need it all day. Frankly, I think its easier than schlepping that stuff all over the park with you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter