abc

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone New member here. I have been to DW before but have never driven. Leaving from Niagara Falls on Aug 1. Going to go through Pittsburg. A little nervous about the drive with two kids ( 10 & 8 ). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Should I try and drive straight through or stop overnight and how is the drive this time of year. Thank you in advance

Hiya! Welcome to DIS :p ... The last time I drove to WDW ... well that was many years ago with my dad. He was the only driver so we took our time getting there ... If you're the only driver, you should probably take your time... I know lots of other people here have driven down so they'll probably have some advice for you :)

Welcome abc. My advice would be to stop overnight somewhere. We always drive a little father than half way the first day while we're all fresh, plus it allows us to arrive at WDW a little earlier the next day...in time for a Character Meal to get our stay off to a great start. When the kids were little we took a rubbermaid container with surprises in it for long trips. Game Boys were a great tool (we let the boys buy a new game before the trip back) & we bought DD a new Barbie & some clothes...worked wonders. :)

I love the drive to WDW...it's not that bad as long as you enjoy driving (which I do). I've driven it the last 3 summers. Enjoy the trip & happy planning. :) If you have any questions about the drive...just ask.

Hi there and welcome to the DIS! WE have driven a few times - down I-75 - and never have had a problem. If you can get a tv/vcr combo for in the car, that is a great diversion for the kids and really seems to help pass the time for them.

Just wanted to add my WELCOME to the ones above. We've always driven and (for the most part) the kids are fine. They usually take a backpack of books, activities (gotta go run off the puzzles below) and their GBA. When we have the time, we make the drive part of the vacation. (Gotta love Dave Hunter's Along I-75 book!) This year it's a quick budget trip, and it is going to have to last for a while. :(

Hi abc, we drive every couple of yrs. The last time was Nov 02. We take a tv/vcr combo. I have 7, 5, and 3 boys. We crossed at Fort Erie and stayed south of Pittsburgh the first night, as we left at rush hour from Toronto. We got to Pits, at midnight, stayed at a Quality Inn. We left the next morning at 8:30am and got to Jacksonsville, Fl that night at 10pm. The next day we were in Orlando by noon! Coming home we did I-75, couldn't believe we actually could have Tim Horton's coffee in Cincinatti!
Any questions, just ask! We are flying this September to save on vacation time taken from work! Marilynn

Originally posted by cabmom
Coming home we did I-75, couldn't believe we actually could have Tim Horton's coffee in Cincinatti!

Where? Where?
It's so funny, we are driving down in Nov of this year and were saying about 10 minutes before I read this post that the only thing we will miss is the Tim's coffee... then I saw your post... we are driving I-75 both ways and Cincinnati will be a rest stop FOR SURE now!

abc.. the best idea for little ones would be to leave when they are about to sleep.tuck them in with lots of pillows, seatbelt snug, maybe a drink box or a cookie.. and then poof... get the majority of the driving in while they are sleeping to avoid the "are we there yet" attacks....of course other suggestions like TV/VCR, GBA's, colouring books, driving games like punch buggy or blinky also work.. I prefer the much quieter.. "thank goodness he's still sleeping" method.

Doing this we tend to get much farther south before stopping for the night and are able to arrive at WDW well rested and ready to play!:teeth:

Just wondered if anyone here had driven from BC or similar to Disneyland, CA. I met an elderly couple from Vancouver (orginally actually from Wick in the North of Scotland which is really remote!!!) who drove down to Anaheim, but I can't remember how long they said it took them. I see you can get a greyhound coach down to Anaheim for around $100 one way and it seems to take over a day, but I wasn't sure if they were constantly driving or stopped for a rest.

John

Originally posted by #1MMFan
Just wondered if anyone here had driven from BC or similar to Disneyland, CA.
My Uncle lives in BC, just outside Vancouver, and he drives to Disneyland every chance he gets. It takes him about a day - he normally drives right through and stays with family in SanDiego.
We haven't done it though. Too far for us- probably take us about a week to get there, at least.:Pinkbounc

Hi ABC
We are also driving down from NS and leaving on the 1st of Aug. We have never
been there before and I'm hoping the ride will be good. Another coincidence is
that we have the same age kids..BS10 and BS8. How long are you staying and where?
We are going to be at the ASMo from 5 to 12. We gave ourselves enough time to
get down there. We are not taking the ferry over but driving around to NB.
Anyway, could keep rattling on. I'm really excited about going. It's all I want to talk
about. I'm also fairly new here about a month or so. People are great here and very
helpful.
Tina

My family went down to Anaheim from Alberta and we drove down. The only mistake
we made was driving down by the coast. Very sharp and curvey. We drove back up
we were going to BC to visit DH family and it only took us a couple of days. Very
quick on the highway. We had a great time at DL. I'm sure you will too.
Hope this helps..
Tina

Hi abc, welcome to the DIS! Your trip is almost here! :bounce:

We have driven down many times ~ we usually take two nights down and one back. I would plan on at least one night because it is a long journey and you should take short breaks every now and again to stretch and for your sanity. ;) You don't want to be absolutely exhausted when you get there either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter