New, need your help!

Cilla

Earning My Ears
Aloha all!

It's been 20 years since I've been to DL...our family of five will be coming on 7/30-8/3...a friend suggested CCI so may stay there. Guess a city pass for a 3-day park hopper bonus would be the way to go...did not understand why other threads mentioned a need to upgrade?
I only remember Space Mountain any other great rides you can suggest? Kids ages are 15 and twins at 13. My daughter loves Narnia, any Narnia stuff for her?

Also suggestions on where to stay for 2 nights (just 3 of us) that is near the John Wayne Airport. Not planning anything except for shopping...where's a great mall? We'll have a rental car.

Other suggestions for 8 night stay at SD, here's my choices:
Inns of Am. Suites
Holiday Inn SD Seaworld or Bayside

Oh, last thing...we always look for food type of gifts to take back home. Any recommendations and where to get it? Our trip goes to OC, then SD, then DL (due to prior commitments).

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

On the food gift, we like to bring See's chocolates if the place we are going doesen't have them.Just last month my DH took some to South Africa!

I saw that this mall is close to DL. It has a Dave and Busters ! I love that place. went there when visiting daughter in Ohau. And a Hillo Hatties!
Movies too. Mall - Block at Orange

Cilla said:
Aloha all!

It's been 20 years since I've been to DL...our family of five will be coming on 7/30-8/3...a friend suggested CCI so may stay there. Guess a city pass for a 3-day park hopper bonus would be the way to go...did not understand why other threads mentioned a need to upgrade?
I only remember Space Mountain any other great rides you can suggest? Kids ages are 15 and twins at 13. My daughter loves Narnia, any Narnia stuff for her?
Here is a map to local hotels:

http://www.geocities.com/ashpsyche/DisneylandLinkMap.html

We stayed at Best Western Park Place Inn twice last year, Howard Johnsons in 2003, and the DL hotel in 2000. We like the BWPPI because of location - shortest walk to the DL gates, and the walking adds up if you take afternoon breaks.

Take the time to learn about a line reservation system DLR began in 1999, I believe, called FastPass. I wrote up an exhaustive topic on it last summer. If you use FP effectively, it will double the number of rides you can get on in your three days. Here is a link:

Getting the Most Out of FastPass During High Season
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=885132

Also read the link in my FastPass thread by Darkbeer
http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=43193

If you get really bored, you can read my lengthy trip report which will give you a lots of tips and strategies we used for touring, shows, parkhopping, etc. Here is a link:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=886607

If you want help scheduling rides I would recommend you take a look at RideMax (www.ridemax.com). See my writeup here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=885134

OK, to your question. My kids last summer were 13, 12, 10 and 9, a little younger than yours but thrill ride fans. Here is a good starting list for them:

At DL

1. Indiana Jones - do not miss this - use FastPass (FP)
2. Splash Mtn - use FP
3. Space Mtn - use FP - very popular, just reopened in 2005 after 2.5 year refurb that really improved it, IMO
4. Big Thunder Mtn Railroad - has FP, but you often do not need it
5. Haunted Mansion - still fun
6. Pirates of the Caribbean - still fun - reopening in June with ride redesign
7. Buzz Lightyear - use FP
8. Matterhorn - still fun - go early morning or late at night if possible
9. Star Tours - a Star Wars simulator - go early morning or late at night if possible

There are a host of others you might like, including old reliable Tiki Room, Small World, the FanstasyLand rides, etc.

At DCA

1. Soarin Over California - use FP and do not miss this ride - very original
2. California Screamin (roller coaster) - use FP
3. Grizzley River Run - use FP - prepare to get wet
4. Tower of Terror - use FP

Depending on your kids, they may like Animation Studios, including Turtle Talk with Crush which will have you scratching your head and saying "how did they do that?".

You will probably want to do the new Monsters Inc ride, which just opened.

Now for shows:

1. Remember Dreams Come True (at DL) - fireworks/laser/special effects extravaganza - jawdroppingly fabulous - don't miss it, it is not just another fireworks display - see it from the hub if at all possible - you will need to arrive 60 minutes early to get a decent spot - you need to have a clear view of the castle because most of the special effects are there.

2. Fantasmic! (at DL) - another "not to miss" - fabulous show on the Rivers of America in front of Pirates of The Caribbean. There should be two shows each night you are there - go the second one, it is less crowded and easier to get a good seat. If you try hard, you can do both Remember and Fantasmic! on the same night if you go to the late Fantasmic! We did it last August.

3. Aladdin (at DCA) - broadway quality show that is excellent - inside a nice air-conditioned theatre. If you have time, do not miss this show.

4. Parade of Dreams - I would not rate this "not to miss", but it is good and you should do it if you have time

Others you may want to do: Electrical Parade at DCA and Snow White at DL. Both fine shows.

Another good mall very close to John Wayne is www.southcoastplaza.com

It's about 5 minutes from the airport and there are many good places to stay in Costa Mesa or Newport Beach. Although DL is about 12 minutes from there so perhaps if you are renting a car, you could just stay at your DL hotel and drive to the mall(s) one day.
As far as food goes, I guess it depends on where you're from.
California is famous for its avocados, oranges, and wines of course.

HydroGuy:
where was this photo taken? It is a great shot.........
31909308-M.jpg

Hermosa11 said:
HydroGuy:
where was this photo taken? It is a great shot.........
31909308-M.jpg
Oops, missed this question to me last week. The photo was taken from the top level of the Hyperion Theatre at DCA right after we exited the Aladdin show.

HydroGuy:

Wow, what gorgeous boys you have. And FOUR of them, whoooo! I'm just barely keeping up with my TWO! My DH jokes that testosterone drips from the walls in our house. I can't imagine having four of them! :worship:

I love their t-shirts! Where did you get them? Or did you make them??? NICE.

Alex2kMommy said:
HydroGuy:

Wow, what gorgeous boys you have. And FOUR of them, whoooo! I'm just barely keeping up with my TWO! My DH jokes that testosterone drips from the walls in our house. I can't imagine having four of them! :worship:

I love their t-shirts! Where did you get them? Or did you make them??? NICE.
DW bought them tie-dye shirts before our trip. Can't remember where. When they were younger there was no other way to keep track of them all at a place like DLR. Now it is not so hard. The similar shirts are a tradition now more than a necessity.

My DW had only one sister, and for a long time was constantly shocked by certain boy behaviors. I had to reassure her everything is normal. You know, bodily sounds and smells are a very important part of a boy's life! She is definitely outnumbered and outgunned, but she has adapted.

The two oldest are teenagers now, and I guess I can say the only thing that would scare me more than having teenage sons would be having teenage daughters!

I know I shouldn't be laughing (since this is a glimpse into my future), but I can't help it. I wonder if all mothers go through a bit of culture shock with their sons? So much energy, good grief! And what is DSnearly2's clearest spoken sentence? "I farted!"... learned of course from DS5... :rolleyes2

I think I was made to be a boy mom....after being 1 of 2 girls and my sister had 1 girl.........boys are so refreshing! I love being the only princess in our house, even the 2 dogs are boys! :love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter