New plan for next year: So California National Parks?

Donald is #1

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! If you remember from my previous thread, I was debating between a National Parks trip to either the South Dakota region or Grand Canyon/Bryce/Zion. Well, when I was on the DVC members cruise last week, I added on points at DL. :rolleyes1

So, now I am thinking about changing plans and heading to Southern CA. If I do this, I would do DL for a few days and then go to some combination of Kings Canyon, Sequoia, Death Valley and/or Joshua Tree. So here comes my questions:

1) I am still thinking about traveling at least part of the trip over Memorial Day weekend. Well, I don't think that I want to go near DL on that weekend, so are any of these parks "ok" on Memorial Day weekend? Or will I jsut be too frustrated?

2) If you only had a week to spend visiting the national parks (DL would be extra days) which would you recommend?

Thanks!

In 2008 they had a DVC members event at DL that was on Memorial Weekend. I went down for Sunday and Monday. Monday was just fine and I really didn't think Sunday was all that bad either. Definitely more busy, but Sundays always are at DL. If Memorial Weekend were my only option I wouldn't let it scare me away. And - if you're staying at GCV you'll get early entry on Sat and Sun if they are still doing that so it helps. Also - that may be a blackout weekend so many passholders may not be able to go - I didn't check the calendar to verify though.

While Memorial Day is a holiday, most, if not all, California schools are still in school that week, so crowds should be reasonable Tuesday - Thursday after Memorial Day.

In 2008 they had a DVC members event at DL that was on Memorial Weekend. I went down for Sunday and Monday. Monday was just fine and I really didn't think Sunday was all that bad either. Definitely more busy, but Sundays always are at DL. If Memorial Weekend were my only option I wouldn't let it scare me away. And - if you're staying at GCV you'll get early entry on Sat and Sun if they are still doing that so it helps. Also - that may be a blackout weekend so many passholders may not be able to go - I didn't check the calendar to verify though.

While Memorial Day is a holiday, most, if not all, California schools are still in school that week, so crowds should be reasonable Tuesday - Thursday after Memorial Day.

Thanks for the insight! :thumbsup2

Now to figure out my more detailed plans. I am still oscillating between the 2 weeks before Memorial day weekend and the week before + Memorial day week. The difference for me is that the second option is 1 less vacation day.

KAT4DISNEY, you are correct, Memorial Day weekend is a blackout period.

The week after Memorial Day is our favorite time to visit DL. No crowds at all on Tue/Wed.

OK, so I now have a plan. At least until I decide to change it. :rotfl2:

5/20 Fly to CA, overnight in Palm Springs (?)
5/21 Joshua Tree, overnight at VGC
5/22 Mission San Juan Capistro (spelling) + ?, evening at DL to see fireworks, VGC
5/23-25 DL & Cal. Adv. , VGC
5/26 - Either DL or something else in the area, VGC
5/27 Drive to Sequoia NP, maybe visit park, Wuksachi Lodge
5/28-29 Sequioa & Kings Canyon NPs, Wuksachi Lodge
5/30 Drive back to Anahiem area, visit TBD, overnight near which ever airport that I fly out of
5/31 Fly home

Yes, that plan sounds fairly reasonable, though it's a lot of driving. You will drive by a lot of sights in Sequoia National Park on your way to Wuksachi Lodge, like Moro Rock, the fallen tree that you can drive across, and of course the Sherman Grove. You don't really have to spend a lot of time at any of those - Sherman Grove would be the most time-consuming, and even that one is pretty easy to do in an hour or two, depending on how fast you walk.

On your departure day, are you planning to drive north from Wuksachi and go out through the King's Canyon area? It makes for a longer trip, but you'll see a few things that you might otherwise miss. One of the things I enjoyed was the Big Stump Trail - which is just that. You can climb up on some of the stumps, and that's fun. There are still some living trees on it, too. There aren't so many people who do that one as compared to Sherman Grove, Grant Grove, etc.

Not sure how much hiking you want to do, but another trail we enjoyed was the Muir Grove - that's easy to do as a day hike if you're staying at Wuksachi - the trail head is a drive, but not too bad, especially if you plan to do other things, too. Lost Grove is small, and right along the road - it's a pretty short stop.

Yes, that plan sounds fairly reasonable, though it's a lot of driving. You will drive by a lot of sights in Sequoia National Park on your way to Wuksachi Lodge, like Moro Rock, the fallen tree that you can drive across, and of course the Sherman Grove.

Unless there's one in the park Morro Rock is in Morro Bay (near SLO). It's easily a good 5 hour drive from SNP. Still impressive to see, and a nice coastal community to visit (DH's hometown).

If your staying in Palm Springs without kids the Desert Riviera is a fabulous place to stay!:love:

Unless there's one in the park Morro Rock is in Morro Bay (near SLO). It's easily a good 5 hour drive from SNP. Still impressive to see, and a nice coastal community to visit (DH's hometown).

ScooterL was talking about Moro Rock @ Sequoia, not Morro Rock. :)

This is Hwy 198, which is the Hwy you'd take when coming from the LA area. You get great views of Moro Rock from here.

664507-Moro_Rock-Sequoia_National_Park.jpg

108%20Moro%20Rock,%20Sequoia%20NP.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter