New Runner - Achilles Pain

MapleGirl

Perpetual Planner
I just started the C25K training program 2 weeks ago with the plan to run/walk the WDW half marathon in January. During the first few runs I noticed that my right achilles was feeling tight. I've been stretching it pre and post run but it is getting worse. It now feels sore/tight all the time - not just when I'm running. I went to a running store and got new running shoes and I'm planning on taking a day or two off from running this week. I'll run again when the pain is gone.

What is going on and how can I train without worrying about injury? I have a dr appointment with my PCP next Monday but I'd like to hear from other runners.

TIA!

First, since you are new to running, are you sure that it is the Achilles? If you are, here are my recommendations:

Make sure that you are wearing the right shoes. Most Achilles injuries result from foot instability or tight tendons. So, shoes matter. Shoes can really help if you have instability problems. Shoes can also present a problem if the heel drop in your running shoes is dramatically different from the shoes that you generally wear. Zero drop running shoes have injured too many Achilles to count because the runner does not transition gradually enough to allow the tendon to stretch out under stress. So, shoes are important.

Next, stretch. If your problem is simply from having started with tight tendons, some stretching before and after runs may be all that you need. But you need to rest it and follow basic RICE measures until you feel better.

Good luck!

I just started the C25K training program 2 weeks ago with the plan to run/walk the WDW half marathon in January. During the first few runs I noticed that my right achilles was feeling tight. I've been stretching it pre and post run but it is getting worse. It now feels sore/tight all the time - not just when I'm running. I went to a running store and got new running shoes and I'm planning on taking a day or two off from running this week. I'll run again when the pain is gone.

What is going on and how can I train without worrying about injury? I have a dr appointment with my PCP next Monday but I'd like to hear from other runners.

TIA!

I have dealt with Achilles soreness on and off for the last couple of years. It seems to flare up when I wear low drop shoes, either "dressier" shoes to work or cleats to play Ultimate Frisbee. Sports like golf/disc golf where there is a lot of walking and standing on uneven terrain also contribute to flare ups. @BuckeyeBama has given some good advice already, so I'll just add one more little piece. I found these foot compression sleeves which are designed for plantars fasciitis relief also provide a lot of support to the lower Achilles area and have been incredibly helpful providing relief both running and for spot use during the day for a flare up:

https://www.amazon.com/OrthoSleeve-...foot+compression+sleeve+for+plantar+fasciitis

Some great advice already, but I'll chime in with my dos pesos ... if it's bothering you enough that you've already made a doctor's appointment, I'd stay off it until then. Rest, compression, ice. Missing one week of training won't set you back at this point, but pushing through an injury will.

Following up on the I part of RICE: Use the Styrofoam cup method of icing.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/2017/11/20/injured-ice-massage-the-right-way-to-do-it/
THANK YOU for posting this! I’ve been having Achilles on and off for a couple of years. It started with my right Achilles and after my March race it was in both Achilles. After reading this post I tried the styrofoam cup thing Immediately after running and stretching and it was the most relief I’ve gotten. The tendons actually felt normal and pain free for a while.

I now have several frozen styrofoam cups in the freezer to keep this going.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter