New security measure: Do not disturb signs being Removed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seen that site, makes lots of sense to help. I just think there has to be so much more, something so "big" and maybe timely, that Disney is willing to alienate so many. I have two trips booked this spring ... both off-site now after having my trip disrupted every day.

I could be wrong, but if they are truly doing this because of LV, they are wasting lots of time, money and maybe losing guests in the process. This makes more sense given the process Disney is following. And honestly the hostility of so many CMs at the door and front desk .... just screams to me that this is something else.
I agree. My family make 4 trips per year for about 5 to 7 weeks total depending on points and cash availability. Mostly onsite as DVC but several offsite nights. This makes more sense as a daily check. We will adapt to the rules as needed but I will refuse entry while we are in the room until we are decent and ready. Btw love your posts and avatar.

And honestly the hostility of so many CMs at the door and front desk .... just screams to me that this is something else.

I agree- why are the CM's not politely informing people of this policy? Yes, they could always come in your room if necessary but now they ARE coming in no matter what. They pay people to opt out of housekeeping- now the guest believes no one is coming in their room and then WHAM- banging on the door begins. Just ridiculous! Even if there is a real good reason to do something like this, Disney sure has a way of implementing a policy in a ridiculous way and with no regard to the 99.999% of the innocent paying guests.

Seen that site, makes lots of sense to help. I just think there has to be so much more, something so "big" and maybe timely, that Disney is willing to alienate so many. I have two trips booked this spring ... both off-site now after having my trip disrupted every day.

I could be wrong, but if they are truly doing this because of LV, they are wasting lots of time, money and maybe losing guests in the process. This makes more sense given the process Disney is following. And honestly the hostility of so many CMs at the door and front desk .... just screams to me that this is something else.

HopperFan: You had your trip disrupted every day? Ack! That's awful. (Sorry if this is mentioned earlier in the thread, but I haven't read all of it yet.) I contacted WDW with my concerns when this policy first came out and a CM actually called me and spoke to me about this. She assured me that if you have housekeeping, that no one else would come to your room, and since I always have housekeeping when I'm there, I figured everything would be fine.

But--is it fine? Our trip's in 3 weeks and I'm starting to worry about this. Because, you know, it's my vacation. I want to enjoy it on my terms, especially regarding my hotel room.

I agree - that is a thought that had crossed my mind - although I didn't realize what a widespread issue it was in Orlando in particular. But it makes sense to me for the reasons you mention, but also just like you said about training Mousekeeping, because if it's for "security" in the other sense, it just hasn't jibed with me that they would expect Mousekeeping to be the first line of "defense" in that sense. But it could be more in keeping with what's been happening in terms of training/education for people in the trucking industry to look for signs to combat trafficking.

You mention the hostility of the CMs - not sure if you read my post in the sticky but I definitely experienced that! Like I said, it was strange that he kept insisting that the "world had changed" (I wasn't arguing this point - I wasn't arguing any point, actually) but he also said multiple times it was not for security reasons that they made the change in policy. :confused3

We stayed 1 night at ASMU. I couldn't find a DND sign or an Off to Neverland sign but it didn't matter anyhow because we got in late and left early.

At AKL we had an Off to Neverland and I had it on the door when we were in the room. We were never disturbed.

Now we're at POFQ and there isn't a DND sign or an Off to Neverland sign. This morning at about 9:10 I woke up to some very light and quick tapping followed immediately by our door being opened. They couldn't get in, they tried, but I had used the latch/arm thing (I can't remember what it's called). That any of us heard, nobody announced themselves.

In all honesty, it gave me a quick scare. We had been out until midnight so we were tired and still sleeping. I don't know who it was for certain because by the time I could find my glasses and look out the curtain there was no one there. I thought maybe housekeeping but there weren't any carts up there and they usually annohnce themselves.
Just want to say THANK YOU for taking the time to share your experience! As a woman traveling alone, I always use the bar latch (plus a door stop) when I'm in a hotel room and I've been wondering how they're handling things when the latch is engaged. I've had that same experience a few times over the years and I agree - it's a little freaky. But I'm glad to hear they handled it as they should: by recognizing the latch means someone's in there and going away.

I don't think this has anything to do with the Las Vegas shooter ....
I agree, and have questioned that line of reasoning from the beginning.

HopperFan: You had your trip disrupted every day? Ack! That's awful. (Sorry if this is mentioned earlier in the thread, but I haven't read all of it yet.) I contacted WDW with my concerns when this policy first came out and a CM actually called me and spoke to me about this. She assured me that if you have housekeeping, that no one else would come to your room, and since I always have housekeeping when I'm there, I figured everything would be fine.

But--is it fine? Our trip's in 3 weeks and I'm starting to worry about this. Because, you know, it's my vacation. I want to enjoy it on my terms, especially regarding my hotel room.
Housekeeping is your security check.

But if you aren't out of the room early enough or you are back before housekeeping comes, you can't turn them away. If you do, you chance a visit from Disney's rent a cop.

Our housekeeping visit was before 9. Once just past 8:30.

We did contact housekeeping and told them to please let us sleep in. They let us know that they would make a note, but nothing was guaranteed. They only knocked, before 9, once after that call.

So, yes, your trip could be disrupted every single day.

Housekeeping is your security check.

But if you aren't out of the room early enough or you are back before housekeeping comes, you can't turn them away. If you do, you chance a visit from Disney's rent a cop.

Our housekeeping visit was before 9. Once just past 8:30.

We did contact housekeeping and told them to please let us sleep in. They let us know that they would make a note, but nothing was guaranteed. They only knocked, before 9, once after that call.

So, yes, your trip could be disrupted every single day.

I'm sorry to hear this. When on vacation, I like to do what I want to do. We often go to breakfast then come back to the room for a while--to do things I don't want to be interrupted doing, like going to the bathroom, for example. In the past, simply hanging the DND on the door saved one from intrusion at those times. Now I wonder. And I'm thinking about switching to an offsite hotel, although there's no guarantee that they won't've implemented a similar policy before we check in.

We're very used to the Disney bubble. And we don't rent a car in Orlando. Ugh . . . I can't even believe that this has turned into something for me to be concerned about so near our trip. Our not exactly inexpensive trip.

Has there been any social media/youtube video of any of this? I mean more of the negative impact types etc-stuff is usually everywhere.

Sorry didn't read the whole thread if so.

We didn't get any visits at the BWV last week, but we were out a lot.

I'm sorry to hear this. When on vacation, I like to do what I want to do. We often go to breakfast then come back to the room for a while--to do things I don't want to be interrupted doing, like going to the bathroom, for example. In the past, simply hanging the DND on the door saved one from intrusion at those times. Now I wonder. And I'm thinking about switching to an offsite hotel, although there's no guarantee that they won't've implemented a similar policy before we check in.

We're very used to the Disney bubble. And we don't rent a car in Orlando. Ugh . . . I can't even believe that this has turned into something for me to be concerned about so near our trip. Our not exactly inexpensive trip.

Stay the Swan and Dolphin. You won't need to rent a car, but you will need to pay to get to the resort. You still get many Disney perks without the daily room check.

The lawyers may have given their blessing but the accountants may not like all the comped room charges when the multitudes of complaints come in. And then there's the lost revenue from those of us that will stay elsewhere where we can sleep in and get privacy in our hotel rooms.

The lawyers may have given their blessing but the accountants may not like all the comped room charges when the multitudes of complaints come in. And then there's the lost revenue from those of us that will stay elsewhere where we can sleep in and get privacy in our hotel rooms.
It doesn’t sound like this is deterring many from staying property. Many days are sold out or selling out. I also haven’t heard that Disney is comping rooms because of this policy. Disney will just point to the fine print and say we reserve the right to do this.

Last edited:
It doesn’t sound like this is deterring many from staton property. Many days are sold out or selling out. I also haven’t heard that Disney is comping rooms because of this policy. Disney will just point to the fine print and say we reserve the right to do this.

I agree in the short term but the policy is new and the backlash is just beginning. Unless they quickly come to their senses and adjust it to be more guest friendly.

It doesn’t sound like this is deterring many from staton property. Many days are sold out or selling out. I also haven’t heard that Disney is comping rooms because of this policy. Disney will just point to the fine print and say we reserve the right to do this.
I think just like the dog policy it will take time for numbers to show. Disney is a place that so many pre-plan and book vacations and likely a portion are unaware especially if they book 1+ year out (since you can book up to 499 days in advance). I think it's also a transition time for the next couple of years in terms of resort availability with all the construction going on in the various resorts plus the All-Stars starting up-that takes blocks of rooms out too leading to days being unavailable.

IMO it's sorta a up in the air whether we can really pinpoint how many people are going off site unless they actually tell you personally. On a side note does resort occupancy percentage gets adjusted when a resort(s) is/are undergoing refurbs which take rooms out of availability plus the removal of portions of resorts reallocated to DVC or taken completely away to be used for some other purpose.

Sorry didn't mean to freak out and didn't really want to type it. Orlando is #3 in the US for this problem and there has been a lot of news lately reporting on the issue and the ties to the Disney resorts, as well as other tourist locations. It seems to be growing and it's complicated ... And while the issue is big in Orlando, it sounds like it's more narrow on the ground due to the tourist industry. Hopefully it is something they can get a grasp on due to that.

It certainly makes more sense in terms of these checks, it would be easier to train folks to look for specific items ... items that would not have to be hidden, why they might surprise you early in day or later in day ... not that any of this is Disney's fault, again it's complicated why, but authorities have to be working closely with Disney on how to get a handle on this.

Yeah this makes a lot more sense (human t. concern as the reason for the daily room checks, in morning, swiftly after knocking) than LV concern. In a feb. 8, 2018 Orlando sentinel article it mentions proposed state laws for hotel liability (h.t. issue) and also self policing hotels can do - training employees to know possible clues such as DND sign left on door for many days (among others).

Last edited:
I can’t shake the thought of human trafficking happening right under our noses in the happiest place on earth. I always pictured this going on in seedy motels, not beautiful magical Walt Disney World. The idea of a child or adolescent being held against his/her will and violated makes me ill. It’s all so disturbing.

I really want my privacy. I really don’t want to be inconvenienced. I really don’t want to be bothered. These are “first world” problems.

Now that it’s pretty obvious that these checks really could save someone’s life, I’m willing to do a 180. Let them check my room. Let them interrupt, inconvenience, and even bother me. If it saves a person’s life, so be it.

Yeah this makes a lot more sense (as the reason for the daily room checks, in morning, swiftly after knocking) than LV. In a feb. 8, 2018 Orlando sentinel article it mentions proposed state laws for hotel liability, and also self policing hotels can do - training employees to know possible clues such as DND sign left on door for many days (among others).

Yes and these articles have been going on almost a year.

There are quite a few things that match up perfectly with this scenario. These checks can flag rooms for something like this. The one thing that upset me is it seemed like they were not just checking rooms but actually checking guests. This makes more sense than assuming we are all the LV guy. We honestly don't know if folks who are being checked while there .... aren't being checked in person because they already looked at your room and a red flag popped up. This makes perfect sense for our second "checkup".

My DS1 is disabled and while very much an adult, functions as a young child. Our room had 3 adults registered, adult clothing etc .... but children's books, hot wheels lined up perfectly, a stuffed critter, toy story blanket ...... none of which matched our registered group.

The second day we left early, they had HOURS to check our room. All other checks had been early in morning, but that day we left early so I assumed they came while we were gone. We returned late afternoon because he needed to rest. As we walked down the "hall" towards our room a man popped out the other end coming from stairs area ... walking towards us. We met at our room. I said that is our room. He gave us the long spiel of checking (I couldn't understand a word but had heard it the day before). I told him I would not open the door but he could. He did. He set the lock so I watched. He walked through looking around, in the bath and disappeared into shower area. Came out shutting door (as he should), walked away and disappeared. He did not check any of the other 12 rooms on my row or the 12 I could see on other wing. With a shortage would it not be more efficient to check all the rooms he needed to at once ........... or was it me he was checking? It was unsettling at the moment because I felt confident he was showing up because we did .... MB.

I have NEVER had issue with MB, I know they track and I think in the long run it will be good for both guests and Disney. It hit me ............... he was meeting me there. He was checking no one else, just us and he met us at the door. His whole mannerism was strange. I really do think these checks with people are on purpose to put eyes on guests, not just rooms. Maybe our room contents had been a red flag in the morning; that they had come before. Our first day's check they did not enter but looked past us at a glance. Now our second day I think they had entered since we left early, and then returned when we did to put eyes on us. He got his eye-full and saw DS (it's obvious) .... room contents now matched guest.

Whether or not human t. ever happened at a wdw resort - let’s hope not- seems FL hotels now have do something to help prevent liability in a suit where they were not at fault:
Apparently the FL legislation to permit h.t. victims to sue hotels passed a FL senate committee Monday. There’s a new-ish amendment that says no liability if the hotel took reasonable measures such as training staff and had a system in place to report suspected incidents. The sun sentinel wrote about this yesterday.
(Of course hotels will also do these things because it’s the right thing to do.)

3 adults registered to a room, with child toys. I fully understand (see below) but that has a red flag the hotel industry is told to look for (re h.t. not LV) - and if they guess wrong will be held liable for. Hotel personnel shouldn’t be talked out of closely checking such rooms imo.

My DS is adult sized, cognitively disabled and brings to our hotel room prek age toys. I intend to explain this in detail at check in with DS next to me and his IQ test and handicap placard and photos of him meeting princesses. And still expect to be answering the door morning or late afternoon (the times the news articles says hotels should check for activity). And expect them to search our room. Frankly I’d be concerned if they didn’t now knowing this horrible situation. (Thanks to pp - I now can be prepared for this.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!