New Survey??

I got the survey over the weekend as well. Ranking perks in order of which you liked, which you could do without etc., can you book what you want when you want, do you use your 11 month window, etc.

I'm not feeling quite as cynical as some of you seem to be today. Perhaps they are just trying to find out what Members value the most so that they can introduce (and maintain) those that would encourage more direct purchases. I have no problem with them doing away with perks that aren't especially valuable to members and look forward to seeing more that are.

FWIW, I wish they gave us an opportunity to "free form" some thoughts instead of just choosing from the answer options they provide. For example, I would tell them to spend the perk money on whatever is needed to make the DVC booking engine consistently available and reliable. :teeth:

The fact that they're surveying members suggests they're interested in keeping the more popular perks--not just slashing whatever happens to be the most expensive line item.

There doesn't seem to be anything that indicates that. If they said - "choose carefully because the lowest rank is going way" then yes. What they take from the survey will only be known by changes that are done. They could be using the ranking just to determine how bad the feedback will be and perhaps what less expensive perk they could sell as the replacement and to get their marketing spiel in place.

The fact that they're surveying members suggests they're interested in keeping the more popular perks--not just slashing whatever happens to be the most expensive line item.

Over our 15-ish years of ownership, perks today are arguably as good as they've ever been. Only noteworthy thing eliminated was valet parking. We did the Typhoon Lagoon bash last year and will attend again this year. 20% shopping discount, Epcot lounge, similar random sampling of restaurant discounts, continued AP discount plus other occasional ticket offers.

If they make changes we'll reevaluate, but I'll save that for when (if) it happens.

I agree, I don't understand complaining about so many perks that went away. The only big one was valet parking and that happened because Disney decided to outsource. I consider the Gold AP a great perk, saving me $220 over a regular price AP (granted, I don't going during the blackout dates).

I don't read a lot into surveys. Remember the one a couple of years ago about resort fees? That never happened.

I'm not feeling quite as cynical as some of you seem to be today. Perhaps they are just trying to find out what Members value the most so that they can introduce (and maintain) those that would encourage more direct purchases. I have no problem with them doing away with perks that aren't especially valuable to members and look forward to seeing more that are.

FWIW, I wish they gave us an opportunity to "free form" some thoughts instead of just choosing from the answer options they provide. For example, I would tell them to spend the perk money on whatever is needed to make the DVC booking engine consistently available and reliable. :teeth:

Since the "perks" are a marketing item and used to increase sales, DVD wants to get maximum cost benefit. Spending money on software improvements doesn't increase sales and buyers never ask about MS availability and website down time, they assume as we all did that Disney would never let these issues happen.

:earsboy: Bill

There doesn't seem to be anything that indicates that. If they said - "choose carefully because the lowest rank is going way" then yes. What they take from the survey will only be known by changes that are done. They could be using the ranking just to determine how bad the feedback will be and perhaps what less expensive perk they could sell as the replacement and to get their marketing spiel in place.

In reality it may not lead to the removal of any perks...but won't stop anyone from openly suggesting that's the next move.

Thank you...that's my take on it. Yes too making booking more reliable!

These surveys have a habit of confirming what Disney already wants to believe.

Hint: Big, flashy perks sell better than mundane perks.
  • Free water park night that less than 2% of members can take advantage of? WOW!!!
  • 10% off food and merchandise that almost every member benefits from? Eh.
But I'm the cynical type.

These surveys have a habit of confirming what Disney already wants to believe.

Hint: Big, flashy perks sell better than mundane perks.
  • Free water park night that less than 2% of members can take advantage of? WOW!!!
  • 10% off food and merchandise that almost every member benefits from? Eh.
But I'm the cynical type.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I do not think you have to be cynical to see it that way. Pretty much every major survey sent out by Disney, starting about 1 year before the current FastPass system came into play, resulted into something... Something came to fruition from it. Anybody with a brain can put that together. (not pointing that at you, Supersnoop, just sayin')

Fastpass system, magic bands, pre-ordering meals on your computer first (BOG) and now pre-ordering meals on your mobile device, etc. They have even done it with non-DVC renovations. (what the guest wants to see) You can bet those Star Wars rooms they are surveying about will be around in a few years. ;) I believe it has become quite predictive that a survey means something is already in the works and they are curious what the feedback/uproar will look like.

As far as discounts are concerned....offering DVC members 10% is a joke when they also offer that to somebody who has a Disney Visa chase card...and they offer 20% off merchandise to anybody who eats counter service and then shops before a certain time....which is pretty much everybody. LOL

Disney doesn't spend money on surveys unless they have a reason. Get ready for "based on member feedback".

Isn't that preferable to simply guessing member response to specific perks and events? Knowing which items are least popular allows them to be eliminated and replaced with something which has greater appeal.

Isn't that preferable to simply guessing member response to specific perks and events? Knowing which items are least popular allows them to be eliminated and replaced with something which has greater appeal.

I would expect them to do surveys. My post is directed to those that think that Disney does surveys for no reason and that nothing ever comes from them.

I do not think you have to be cynical to see it that way. Pretty much every major survey sent out by Disney, starting about 1 year before the current FastPass system came into play, resulted into something... Something came to fruition from it. Anybody with a brain can put that together. (not pointing that at you, Supersnoop, just sayin')

No question Disney has goals for every survey...but they aren't always the doom and gloom scenarios that seem to be implied here. Not every survey has ulterior motives.

A few years ago DVC asked for opinions on things like pet friendly rooms, putting fitness equipment in rooms and dishwashers in studios. Of course, the same survey also asked about studios accommodating 5 guests and larger TVs.

http://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-program/owning-dvc/1321-dvc-surveys-members-on-amenities

Another survey asked for feedback on communicating with Member Services via text message and Skype/Facetime. And it also asked about having assigned Member Services reps, a feature that DVC did implement.

http://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-pr...ey-suggests-possible-member-services-features

If certain perks like the Moonlight Magic events are too expensive, Disney doesn't need our permission to end them. Though I think they are wise to make sure an overwhelming majority of members still favor the most expensive perks offered. I realize that only about 20-30% of members may be able to attend a Moonlight Magic any given year. But even if that means the average guest can only attend a Moonlight Magic once every 3-4 years, personally I favor that over a handful of 10% restaurant discounts, most of which I'll never use.

Keep the perks which are popular. Replace the ones which are not.

I would expect them to do surveys. My post is directed to those that think that Disney does surveys for no reason and that nothing ever comes from them.

Don't see anyone on this thread suggesting otherwise.

My DVC membership would be better for me if I could have more than 2 waitlist and if walking was penalized if not totally disallowed. Others feel differently. The survey asked how I felt about my membership and asked why I said "good." I feel I had a chance to get some things off my chest, and I know I am only 1 out of how many, 500,000?

I got the survey the other day as well. I realllllllly didn't like having to rank things only with the only options as most liked and least liked. I would rather rank everything in-between in order of importance too. A comments box to explain choices would have been nice. FWIW I pretty much gave more priority to those things like discounted tickets and shopping discounts over things like member events. Yes. I bow to the almighty dollar.:rolleyes1 I really like the idea of offering member events but had to pick SOMETHING to go on the bottom and since they're so few & far between and RARELY ever coincide with a trip for us they're of the least value to us as a perk. We just happened to hit a date for one of the Tyhpoon Lagoon events in July for our upcoming trip but I strike that up to sheer luck for a change. But that's the first time for something like that. Oh. And one question mentioned that stoooopid Soarin' behind the scenes tour - I wanted so badly to say what a joke that is because only 15 or 20 lucky souls can do it once a week. HA! Worthless. Can it for all I care. (Can you tell I tried to book it and failed miserably more than once?!?!) :rotfl:

I do not buy many things, shopping discounts mean next to nothing to me. I am all about experiences!

DVC has quite a job, to make sense of these answers in a way we all feel some satisfaction, I think. I admire them for trying.

We got luggage belts on last year's Member Cruise, we had asked for them specifically when chatting with him previously. He knew that Castaway Members had gotten them in past. So, Tom and I were very surprised and pleased to get them on the next Member Crusr. I did notice lots of them on luggage for our recent Transatlantic cruise.

Mostly I am happy with DVC.:)

I haven't received the survey yet -- but *love* the experiences. While I have yet to get a Soarin' tour ... I have been fortunate to attend the Member night at Disney's California Adventure last year and a movie sneak-peek this year. I've also enjoyed the Christmas party events at/near Epcot over several years. Love the events!

Food discounts are nice ... but shopping discounts mean almost nothing to me.

The perk I'd really love: discounted park admission! Yeah, DVC's WDW-AP is nice ... but I sure wish there were regular discounts on daily admission at any/all parks around the world. Specifically I'm referring to California, Japan, China, etc. (Just in case "around the world" was interpreted as "around the World Showcase" to some?)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter