New to DVC renting, I don't know where to start.

Chances mom

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone, I am not new to the boards but don't often surf. I am very new to posting and was not sure where this question should be posted. So I apologize in advance if this question has already been asked.

I have some vacation points that will expire soon and wanted to offer them to a couple of friends. I have never given points away to anyone so I have no idea how it works. I have read some of the post but quite honestly don't understand exactly how it works. Any help would be greatly appreciated
What I really need to know is how much to charge for points. My home resort is Saratoga springs. Thank you so much.

You can charge what you want, but most people fit into the following categories:

1. Free (generally reserved for good friends/family and for those owners that can afford to gift the use of the points)
2. Enough to cover management fees ($6-$8/pp)
3. Enough to cover management fees + a prorated amount of initial buy in costs ($9-$11/pp)
4. Enough to cover management fees + a prorated amount of initial buy in costs + a reasonable mark up ($12-$14/pp)
5. Full market value ($15-$18/pp)

This assumes that points aren't distressed. You mentioned that the points are expiring soon so they are likely to have a lower value than what I have outlined above.

I agree with what W Nielsen said. And I want to emphasize that your points are worth NOTHING if you can't use them, because they are about to expire and there is nowhere left to reserve. They are worth something, but probably less than the full amount, if your reservations are at least partly available, but the selection is limited. (These conditions are what they call 'Distressed Points.') If you are looking far enough out, and if Reservations are still available (for instance, they are NOT really available during Food and Wine. It is mostly reserved already) then you should be able to charge whatever you think is reasonable, as long as they are willing to agree to that price.

The process is simple: You are the go-between, between your Renters and Disney. DVC Membership and Reservations people won't even talk to your guests, unless they also happen to be DVC Owners. This means that YOU must make the reservation for them, through the website or through a phone call to MS, and you just put in all their names and information, just as you would have done if it is you and your family. One of them is listed as Primary, etc. etc. HOWEVER, that is just for the reservations, Disney will still ALWAYS insist on talking to you if you need to communicate with Disney. You set up Magical Express. You arrange for Disney Dining Plan (I like to get them on the line and do a 3 way call to Member Services when they are ready to pay for the Dining Plan. Then they can handle ANY problems or cost overruns right then.) YOU put in special requests regarding room location, preferred floor, Birthdays, Anniversaries, Wheelchair Accessible and etc.

IF your guests are paying you money, then Disney also requires you to get a 'signed' contract from them. There are a number of potential contracts kicking around on 'Rental Contract' threads. You specify in the contract that they agree with the contract and and that they are signing it by returning the contract by email to you with their name in the appropriate place, etc.

That's about it.

When will they expire? In a year? 6 months? 3 months?

When I book rooms for family, I charge maintenance fees ($7).

When I book rooms for good friends it’s less than full value ($10).

When I book rooms for anyone else, it $15-16.

I'm in the I don't charge family/friends group. The reason being is I'm almost always part of the traveling party, and have to do most of the planning. I have been known to negotiate some dental cleanings and other dental work with my dentist's family, but we are also friends. If I were to rent to a stranger...full current going price.

As others have said, it is entirely up to you, they are your points. Do what you feel is best, and what you are comfortable with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter