New to gluten free - Does anyone have experience getting dishes modified to be gluten free?

Maggie'sMom

DIS Veteran
I developed a gluten allergy about 2 months ago. I went from having absolutely no issues to where even the smallest amount of gluten exposure from cross contamination will cause me to break out in an itchy rash. So this has been quite an adjustment for me.

We have a cruise planned for March on the Magic, and I've been researching my options. There are so many things that I'm going to miss eating on the cruise. The black truffle pasta pursettes at the top of the list. A lot of the items marked as gluten free on the menus don't excite me, but I've read that DCL can make a lot of their dishes gluten free if given advanced notice so I'm hopeful at least a few of my favorites can be modified for me. Can anyone share their experience with getting dishes that aren't marked as gluten free on the menu modified to be gluten free?

Some of the changes I would expect to be relatively easy to make. For example, the beef tenderloin on the Animator's Palate menu isn't marked as gluten free, but I'm guessing the gluten is in the barbecue reduction or the seasoning so they could prepare mine without that.

I love the roasted rack of lamb served in Lumiere's. It comes with some herbed breading on the lamb. Has anyone requested the lamb be made gluten free? What about the escargot appetizer? Again, I think it is made with breadcrumbs.

How about at Palo brunch? I read somewhere the chicken parm can be made gluten free. Do they have a gluten free flatbread?

I'd appreciate any experiences people have had.

Let them know ahead of time for sure. That way they ensure they order enough for everyone who needs gf stuff.

Pursettes are 100% a no-go. Other things, it's often the sides so adapting them works. Sometimes sauces can be left off, other times not. I don't know about AP as I had the chicken. The lamb I have no clue about as lamb is far too gamy for me. Ditto snails. EW! LOL.

Palo brunch was no problem. The can so the chicken parmesan gf - but you see how much breading there was on there. And yes gf flatbread. And if you do dinner the soufflee can be.

I will also note that I did NOT do the special meal on Castaway. I was fine with steak and salad and fruit at Serenity Bay - I have read that the pre-plated thing they bring is not the best. I do not know what options at the family beach area are though. Thankfully I am either solo or only with adults so I get the relaxing area.

My wife didn't have as strong a sensitivity to Gluten as you do, and I don't remember specific dishes, but I can give you some helpful information.

First, as @Dug720 said, notify them ahead of time.

Second, your waitstaff will be SUPER supportive and accommodating. The first thing they will ask is the nature of your sensitivity. Ie., is it just an aversion, or a severe reaction. When you explain to them that even small contamination gives you a rash, they will know to be extra careful with you.

Next, they will give you the next days' menu every day, so that you can place your order ahead of time, which gives the chef extra time to make it gluten free for you. My wife found they would bring her the menu a bit late for her taste, so she used the Navigator app to look at the next menu ahead of time. You would then tell the CM and they will tell you if that dish can or can't be done that way. Most of the time, she got whatever she asked for and most things could be modified, but again, her sensitivity wasn't as severe as yours.

Finally, if there are things that aren't on the menu that might be good for you, feel free to talk about it with them. They may not be able to, but it might be easier than you think. For example, my wife was not doing dairy either, so those two restrictions ruled out almost every desert. I mentioned that she enjoyed fruit, so they brought different fruit to the table each night (with extra for the rest of the table to enjoy), and would often ask her which fruit she liked or would like to try next.

Your servers will be your BEST FRIENDS! My gluten sensitivity ruled out most of the desserts, but I had a dessert that was just as good if not better than the ones on the menu every night. They do have gluten free breadcrumbs so I'm guessing the lamb would totally be doable with advance warning (I'm with @Dug720 lamb is NOT my thing). They were able to modify several dishes for me though and add the gluten free bread crumbs. They even did a true French Onion soup for me. :)

When all else fails, MICKEY BARS!!! :D
They did the Crème Brûlée Cheesecake at Rapunzel's Royal Table for me Gluten Free (without asking I might add...) One of the best things I ate the whole cruise.
Crème Brûlée Cheesecake
layer of Baked Cheesecake with Caramelized Crème Brûlée served with Fresh Whipped Cream

Thanks for all your experiences. Yes, I assumed the pasta pursettes were a 100% no go for me. There are a few foods that have had me contemplating "would it be worth the discomfort in order to eat them?" and the pasta pursettes are one of the items on that select list. But then I will get a small exposure due to cross contamination and realize I will not voluntarily subject myself to that agony no matter how much I want the food.

I had read bad things about the special meal on CC and don't plan on pre-ordering it. I'll have my daughter with me so I won't be going to Serenity Bay to get the steak even though she's old enough to hang out on her own if I did. She's not crazy about the food at Cookies and has mentioned wanting to try going back to the ship for lunch, but I hate to waste time traveling back just to get lunch. I adore all the fresh fruit on CC so I'll likely load up on that. I never tend to eat much while on CC anyway.

I'm so happy there is a gf flatbread option at Palo. I'm not planning to do the dinner there so no gl chocolate souffle for me. Does anyone know if the Grand Marnier souffle at Lumiere's can be made gf? Although, I also really enjoy creme brulee so there's no great loss if I can't get the souffle.

I'm planning to call soon to have the allergy noted on our reservation and I will definitely go talk to the waitstaff on embarkation afternoon. I'm glad to know they do have gf breadcrumbs, and it's great they were even able to do a true french onion soup gf. I'm sure I'll be well-fed. It's more a matter of adjusting my desires to fit my new reality.

And yes, I will definitely be ordering the Mickey bars! In the first few days after my diagnosis, my DD spent a bunch of time Googling gf options at WDW and on DCL. I remember one of the first things she checked was the Mickey bars, and she was so excited to find out I could still eat them.

The Grand Marnier at Lumiere's can't be made gf :( I was soooo sad about that, but the creme brulee is really good. I just got back from the Magic and I left dessert every night completely in the chef's hands. Told the server to surprise me. LOL I was NOT disappointed. The night at Lumiere's I got a version of apple crumble. They used warmed up and toasted gf gingersnaps in place of the crumble and topped it with ice cream. It was SO good.

The Grand Marnier at Lumiere's can't be made gf :( I was soooo sad about that, but the creme brulee is really good. I just got back from the Magic and I left dessert every night completely in the chef's hands. Told the server to surprise me. LOL I was NOT disappointed. The night at Lumiere's I got a version of apple crumble. They used warmed up and toasted gf gingersnaps in place of the crumble and topped it with ice cream. It was SO good.

I'm so happy to hear good experiences with gf desserts. I love Mickey bars but don't want that to be my main gf dessert option.

I happened across this article too, there might be info here that is helpful!

https://glutenfreepsd.wordpress.com...r-cruise-ship-to-alaska-part-one-summer-2018/

Thanks for sharing. I'd found some different reviews on gf on DCL, but hadn't seen this one yet.

I've done 3 cruises gluten free and they have all been great. My waiter always brought me the menu for the following night and I'd preorder if what I wanted was not gf. There are only a few main dishes they can't do gf (any filled pasta and things like beef wellington). They do have gf noodles that can sub into regular pasta dishes.

As far as dessert, I found on my first cruise they brought me sorbet a lot for dessert. On my 2nd, I advocated for myself a lot. I told them I did not want ice cream every night. Then one of the earlier nights there was creme brulee and I mentioned how it was one of my favorite desserts. My waiter managed to get me some type of creme brulee 3 more nights on the cruise! He even went to another MDR to get them sometimes! On my last cruise, I mentioned how on a previous cruise I enjoyed the banana foster creme brulee but didn't see it on any of the menus. My waiter had it made for me 2 different times for dessert!

They will provide gf rolls and such if you let them know ahead of time. They also have gf (premade by brands like glutino) muffins, donuts, etc. that you can request (especially at breakfast).

Most importantly, notify DCL before cruising, talk to your waitstaff the first night, and advocate for yourself. If something doesn't seem right or you want something and you stay quiet you only have yourself to blame. DCL will do everything they can to accommodate your allergy and keep you happy.

We must of had bad luck on our October trip with my moms GF accommodation as we let them know we’ll in advance but her options were few and far between

PPs mentioned getting the menu the night before (never did and she said that was one of the things she liked about other lines and that would be s deciding factor between sailing Disney or a competitor)

Fwiw it was a 3 night I don’t know if that makes a difference

On the first night dinner you will be stuck with the gluten free items already on the menu. Each night you will be given the following nights menu so you can order for the next night. If they do not do this complain, because they are not following their own procedure. Each server is trained in this but sometimes new servers can get confused.

On the first night dinner you will be stuck with the gluten free items already on the menu. Each night you will be given the following nights menu so you can order for the next night. If they do not do this complain, because they are not following their own procedure. Each server is trained in this but sometimes new servers can get confused.
And if the servers seem less than helpful, take it up with your Head Server. DW is gf, and the head servers have been the best in assisting.

As to the lunch served on CC, DW has found the ribs, sweet corn, and fruit are all okay. We make it a point to get there right as they start serving (we go to Cookies Too) to prevent cross contamination from other diners being less than careful. She tried the pre-ordered meal one time. Never again.

We must of had bad luck on our October trip with my moms GF accommodation as we let them know we’ll in advance but her options were few and far between

PPs mentioned getting the menu the night before (never did and she said that was one of the things she liked about other lines and that would be s deciding factor between sailing Disney or a competitor)

Fwiw it was a 3 night I don’t know if that makes a difference

Did you ask your servers to order ahead the first night or talk to them about her allergy at all?

Did you ask your servers to order ahead the first night or talk to them about her allergy at all?
She talked to them about it several times the only meal she really enjoyed was serenity bay

It’s not just the cruise we’ve noticed in the parks as of late they haven’t been as accommodating (one quick serve she asked what meals could be done gluten free and they snapped telling her nothing was free and gave her dirty looks when she explained it was a food related thing)

She talked to them about it several times the only meal she really enjoyed was serenity bay

It’s not just the cruise we’ve noticed in the parks as of late they haven’t been as accommodating (one quick serve she asked what meals could be done gluten free and they snapped telling her nothing was free and gave her dirty looks when she explained it was a food related thing)

That's a bummer. I've never done a short cruise, but all 3 of mine (the last being this past summer) have been great. If you have a similar experience on DCL in the future, I suggest going to your head server. If he/she does not help, go to guest services. I can guarantee they will take care of it.

As others have suggested, it you have problems seek.out your head waiter. Do Not Be Shy! This is where the head waiter will.smooth out any problems you might have. They have years of experience to solve your problems and are happy to solve them.

They will guide your waiter through the process and make certain you are taken care of. The head waiter are excellent!

As others have suggested, it you have problems seek.out your head waiter. Do Not Be Shy! This is where the head waiter will.smooth out any problems you might have. They have years of experience to solve your problems and are happy to solve them.

They will guide your waiter through the process and make certain you are taken care of. The head waiter are excellent!

Exactly. You have to be vocal and ask for help. As others have said, if your server isn't helping, ask for the head server. If the head server doesn't help, ask for the dining room manager or go to Guest Services. WHILE you are on the ship is the time to deal with it. Complaining after the fact a) gave you a less-than-great experience the whole time when it could have been corrected and b) did not allow the servers the opportunity to learn and make corrections while you were on board. You're punishing them after the fact for something that could easily have been corrected, and that's not fair to them because you did not give them the chance to make changes yet you're punishing them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter