New to Universal--some questions

Leelee24

Earning My Ears
My family of 4 (husband, I, and kids 12 and 10) are going to Universal for 5 days at the end of January. There is so much information on this board--I have really enjoyed reading it this past month. And those of you that do trip reports--so much detail! I'm impressed. I do have some questions I hope someone can help with.

We are staying at Royal Pacifica Resort. Is there a fridge in every room? Is there a Kuerig in every room? Microwave?

When will park hours for January 2019 be posted? Will there be black Friday specials for Universal? (and maybe black Friday specials for Sea World?)

Quick meal plan--my 10 year old will only eat off the kids menu (chicken fingers and fries). Is it okay to buy her a one day kids quick service meal plan or do I need to buy her the adult plan? I see the website says that you can take water bottles in to the park. Is that really it? Are small food items allowed? We are a family that likes to go all day and normally we pack sandwiches, apples, granola bars etc. We've found some parks say no food but really don't care what you take in and others are very serious about no food.

I see there are so many cool things in the Harry Potter section--I'll have to make a list. A talking fountain? Goblins at the money exchange? (what actually happens here) A mirror that compliments you? Any favorites to mention?

And finally (just an opinion question I guess) we check in Sunday night and have Mon-Fri at universal. Will we be bored? Our touring style at local parks (and at Disney in the past) is to arrive before it opens and leave after it closes. We ride and meet characters and see shows etc. We don't really spend time eating or shopping. My kids do like doing things multiple times but is 5 days too much?

Thank you!

I can't answer all of your questions but here are a few:

Yes to fridge, yes to Keurig, no to microwave - if you want a microwave, you have to request one and there is a charge. Also suggest you bring your own k-cups / add-ins if you think you will use the keurig a lot

Not sure when park hours for January will be posted but I wouldn't rely on them staying the same, regardless. I fing they fluctuate often. You probably want to check them about 2 weeks to a month before your trip.

Can't speak to the meal plan specifically as we have never had it - I would assume, like Disney, you have to get the right meal plan for the age of the child - i.e. 10+ must get adult plan. That said, if you forego the meal plan, there is nothing to really stop you from ordering kids meals for him once you are there. My 13-year old still ate kids meals at most restaurants during our trip in May.

With regard to what you can bring into the parks food-wise - from Universal's site:

Acceptable items:
  • Bottled water
  • Small snacks that do not require heating
  • Any food required for medical purposes and medically indicated nutritional supplements
  • Any food required for special dietary needs
  • Baby food/baby formula
  • Soft-sided insulated bags no larger than 8.5" wide x 6" high x 6" deep
Prohibited items:
  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Picnic lunches
  • Food that requires heating or refrigeration
  • Glass containers
  • Hard-sided coolers
  • Soft-sided coolers larger than 8.5" wide x 6" high x 6" deep
  • Suitcases and bags with wheels
  • Folding chairs
  • Clothing with offensive language or content
  • Clothing that represents someone as emergency personnel
  • Weapons of any kind
Please be advised that all bags and personal items are subject to inspection.​

This is a great thread for Wizarding World related information - https://www.disboards.com/threads/wizarding-world-touring-plans-and-details.3666427/#post-58859824

With regard to how much time to spend at Universal, you will get answers everywhere from "you can do everything in one day!" to "we often stay for 2 weeks". Personally, i don't think you will be bored with 5 days but you will be able to relax and take it as it comes more easily than with a Disney vacation. There is plenty to take advantage of beyond the two "main" parks - go to Volcano Bay, spend time at the pools, resort-hop, bowl at Cabana Bay, play mini-golf, etc.

You will have a great trip!

My family of 4 (husband, I, and kids 12 and 10) are going to Universal for 5 days at the end of January. There is so much information on this board--I have really enjoyed reading it this past month. And those of you that do trip reports--so much detail! I'm impressed. I do have some questions I hope someone can help with.

We are staying at Royal Pacifica Resort. Is there a fridge in every room? Is there a Kuerig in every room? Microwave?

When will park hours for January 2019 be posted? Will there be black Friday specials for Universal? (and maybe black Friday specials for Sea World?)

Quick meal plan--my 10 year old will only eat off the kids menu (chicken fingers and fries). Is it okay to buy her a one day kids quick service meal plan or do I need to buy her the adult plan? I see the website says that you can take water bottles in to the park. Is that really it? Are small food items allowed? We are a family that likes to go all day and normally we pack sandwiches, apples, granola bars etc. We've found some parks say no food but really don't care what you take in and others are very serious about no food.

I see there are so many cool things in the Harry Potter section--I'll have to make a list. A talking fountain? Goblins at the money exchange? (what actually happens here) A mirror that compliments you? Any favorites to mention?

And finally (just an opinion question I guess) we check in Sunday night and have Mon-Fri at universal. Will we be bored? Our touring style at local parks (and at Disney in the past) is to arrive before it opens and leave after it closes. We ride and meet characters and see shows etc. We don't really spend time eating or shopping. My kids do like doing things multiple times but is 5 days too much?

Thank you!

There will probably be black/blue friday offers, but don't expect much.

I don't see any reason you can't get the kids meal plan. I have never bought the kids meal plan, but I have often ordered a kids meal for myself and no one asked me if it was for a child.

You can take food into the parks. No glass.

You can go in and talk to the goblins. They are pretty cool.

You will have the express pass so you can plan to tour at a slower pace. There is no real reason to get there for rope drop unless your want to see Potterville with lower crowds. You should get what you want to do done early afternoon. You can enjoy your hotel in the evening. I don't know if it will be warm enough to swim, but we have gone swimming and even done water parks in Dec.

I get a room at RPR, but since we don't actually use it, I have never looked to see what actually is there, but I am sure someone else can help you out.

-----1----- This has some great Harry Potter info:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/wizarding-world-touring-plans-and-details.3666427/

-----2----- We love to just wander through the HP sections...you wont be bored....there are rides [butterbeer, pumpkin juice, pumpkin pasties, ice cream at Florean Fortescues...] , snacks, interactive wands [to purchase but worth it], shops, shows...

-----3-----
To answer some of your ???s:

--- Quick meal plan--my 10 year old will only eat off the kids menu (chicken fingers and fries). Is it okay to buy her a one day kids quick service meal plan or do I need to buy her the adult plan? YES- you can do this or just buy her kids meals in the park as you go. I eat kids meals all the time

--- I see the website says that you can take water bottles in to the park. Is that really it? yes! junst not in glass bottles...

--- Are small food items allowed? yes! We often pack lunch and snacks

I agree that the question of "how much time do I need/will I be bored/etc " has a variety of responses. If you are staying at Royal Pacific with Express Passes and expect to go for early entry through close every day - you will get bored. And this is coming from someone who does 8 day stays and begs for more - but I would never consider that touring style.

We sleep in, eat the buffet breakfast, go to the parks for 2-3 hours, go back to the resort to hang out at the pool in the middle of the day, have dinner at CityWalk - and go the parks in the evening. Sprinkle in some character dining, Blue Man, maybe a day trip off site - and I feel like it is a wonderful balance between fun and relaxation.

That is why for my family it is a travel destination, not just visiting theme parks. With express pass, you just don't need to commando the parks like that. In fact, my fear is in trying to commando the parks for 5 days with EP will leave a bad taste in your mouth...

Hi I agree with vacaPlanner2012 that Universal is a travel destination. We usually go for a week and do 5 days in the park and a couple of resort days. However, there have been times where we go to the parks half the day then do resort time the rest. The Universal resorts are very nice and lots to do. I know January could be a little colder for swimming so you may do less resort time. We love to go to the HP worlds early a couple of mornings before if it gets crowded. It is so nice to walk around. Outside of a couple of mornings early entry for HP we stroll in when we want to. The express pass is awesome and really makes your park touring enjoyable.

Honestly I think you will be fine off the kids menu with or without the dining plan. We did do it last year for a bit but it didn't save us money every day. I think we saved maybe a couple of dollars per person. It is nothing like the Disney Dining plan. A lot of people like to buy the vouchers and use it as a budget plan which could work. If your going to use the dining plan make sure you check for places that have combination meals and use the snack credits for butter beer type stuff. If you really look at the prices of things you can figure out how to save.

Be sure to take the Hogwart's Express both ways. It is different each way. It looks like by your dates you might be going during the Harry Potter event. It really won't affect you much with the express pass and the rides. The HP areas may be a little more crowded and they will close it off early one night for a private gathering. It is cool you will see a lot of costumes and HP fanatics. It was a fun event for us.

Enjoy your trip!

I was there this January. The two things that stand out to me are:

1) be prepared for large crowds to still be lingering after the holidays into at least mid January. This will obviously depend on your exact dates and how the crowds end up falling next year, but it’s good to be aware this isn’t a dead time anymore. If you do run into crowds, it shouldn’t impact you too badly as far as wait times because you’ll have EP from your resort stay. However, people / space wise it may feel crowded walking around and in shops. You’ll also most likely see long lines at shops, carts, and restaurants.

2) Prepare for extreme changes in weather and for the possibility it could be very cold. January is iffy in Florida. It could be 70 one day and then the next day have a low of 30 and high of 45. Also, keep in mind that in the same way the heat seems so much worse because of humidity, 45 in high humidity feels much colder than a dry 45 up north.

We are staying at Royal Pacifica Resort. Microwave?

I’m not sure if prices have changed any, but the last time we requested a microwave they were $15 a night. That was within the last couple years, so I would think they are still somewhere in that price range if you are interested. They only have a limited number, so if it’s important to you, I’d request one in advance.

When will park hours for January 2019 be posted?

They official hours won’t be released until much closer, but you can look at crowd calendars from past years to get an idea of what to expect. In general, don’t expect long hours. Even during peak and holiday seasons, Universal keeps much shorter hours than Disney. You definitely won’t be seeing midnight or after closings or even 9 or 10 pm for the most part. Expect the parks to open around 9 and close around 7 most days, with early entry at 8. Special events may cause one of the parks usually US to close at 5, and higher crowd days might see slightly later closings at 8 or 9, but otherwise, you can probably safely plan on the hours being 9 to 7.

Will there be black Friday specials for Universal? (and maybe black Friday specials for Sea World?)

I haven’t seen any really great Universal deals in years. Usually Undercover Tourist or AAA have the best options. It won’t hurt to check both places around Black Friday, but don’t be surprised if you find just as good a deal before or after. In addition, if you guys are staying 5 days, a season pass will most likely be the cheapest option, and there are very few deals available on those.

Sea World and Busch Gardens (same company) are another story. They routinely have really great deals direct from their website, and they do tend to put out those deals around holidays. However, that doesn’t gaurentee Black Friday. They are just as prone to do a Labor Day or 4th of July sale or a simple flash sale just because. They also almost always offer some kind of buy one park get the other free deal if you might be interested in doing both. I usually stalk their website until I come across something really good. If you are looking for one day tickets, be patient. I’ve had great luck finding $60 and even $50 ones in the past. Also, unless something has changed, you can add a second day at guest services in the park for $10, so if you are unsure about how many days you may need or if their two day offer is more than $10 over their single day offer, wait and add the second day in park.

Quick meal plan--my 10 year old will only eat off the kids menu (chicken fingers and fries). Is it okay to buy her a one day kids quick service meal plan or do I need to buy her the adult plan?

I don’t think anyone will question you on buying a kid’s plan for a child who will be eating off the kid’s menu.

However, before buying any plan, I’d really look into the dining plan in depth if you haven’t already. I think the general consensus is that it doesn’t really save you much if any money. If you’re doing it solely to be used as a budgeting tool and understand you probably won’t save much, go right ahead.

The below link does a good job explaining the savings you may see.

https://orlandoinformer.com/universal/dining-plan

Something else I recommend is to check out menus and pictures of food ahead of time. I don’t think our picky eaters once ate chicken strips. I can’t remember everything they ate as that first trip was about 5 years ago, but I do remember they really enjoyed the feast at the Three Broomsticks which included rotisserie chicken, corn on the cob, and roasted potatoes. All familiar foods to them. In general, we’ve found the food at Universal to be more kid friendly than at Disney. We had a very difficult time finding anything they would eat even off the kid’s menus at Disney, but at Universal, they ate off both the kid’s and adult’s menus easily.

One more note: SeaWorld / Busch Gardens do actually have a great dining deal that can save you a lot of money if you have big eaters or are planning multiple meals in the park. They sometimes also offer their dining deals at free or reduced cost when they run specials, but it’s not a bad value even if you pay full price for it. I was able to catch an Aquatica (same company as SeaWorld) promotion a few weeks ago for $30 less than gate price that included the dining deal. The way their deal works is you are allowed one free meal (entree, side or dessert, and drink) every hour. You don’t have to get the full meal every hour, but it’s a great way to save while allowing the family unlimited snacks and drinks as long as you don’t think you’d need more than one snack break an hour.

I see the website says that you can take water bottles in to the park. Is that really it? Are small food items allowed? We are a family that likes to go all day and normally we pack sandwiches, apples, granola bars etc. We've found some parks say no food but really don't care what you take in and others are very serious about no food.

I’ve never found them to question any food or drinks we've brought in. Now, we don’t carry whole picnics or anything, but we’ve definitely taken in small snacks, things like granola bars. We routinely carry in Starbucks drinks, water bottles, power aid bottles, and soda cups with lids. The only time I was ever even questioned about anything was when I had an open top plastic solo style cup with water in it. They wanted to know if it was alcohol. I said no and that was it. No further questioning, and it really was water. You will be fine with normal park snacks. You are also free to buy a drink at the hotel or in Citywalk and take it with you into the parks. No one will care.

On the other hand, I wouldn’t recommend packing picnics. There’s really no point, unless you have this great desire to carry around extra stuff for the fun of it. Returning to Royal Pacific is a 10 to 20 minute walk at worst depending on where in the parks you’re coming from. It is very quick and easy to return to the room to enjoy a picnic lunch. No need to worry about coolers or hauling food around or finding a place to sit. Simply go back to the room and eat your big meals.

Funny story, I once put an entire to go order of Bula bar nachos through the security scanner. Anyone whose ever ordered those before knows how much food that is. Security said nothing. No comments whatsoever about me not being allowed to take food into the boat or into Citywalk, only joking comments about how they might have to confiscate them because they smelled so good. Now, I will say I never tried to take those into the park, we had ordered them to go from the pool bar and were simply returning to Citywalk to head to the car. But there’s no bag check at the gate, so in theory, I guess I could have taken them in with me. The point being, I’ve never found them to care about the food. People buy food in one park and then hop to the next still eating it. It’s no big deal. But, definitely check the nachos out if you get a chance, so good.

The fountain is not in the Harry Potter section. He’s in the Lost Continent. He’s also not always awake; sometimes he’s asleep. I kept trying to catch him awake all summer long as he’s one of my favorite things at Universal, but I missed him every time we went. He sort of does in impromptu comedy routine. Normally kids will go up and ask him questions, and he’ll give funny answers or simply engage with them in comical ways. It’s kind of like a mix between Kids Say The Darndest Things and a stand up comedic who has a large squirt gun. He’s usually very entertaining. It really depends on how interactive his audience is.

The Goblin Exchange is a small office / store located beside the Gringotts ride. It offers a place for muggles to exchange their Muggle money (dollars) into wizading currency (Bank Notes or souvenir coins). The Bank Notes can then be kept as a souvenir or spent in any of the wizarding shops or restaurants. In addition, the Goblins are available to answer any questions about Gringotts or other financial matters that you have even if you don’t feel like exchanging your money. There are also vault “keys” sold here. They are actually lanyard pins which can be bought at other locations as well, but it’s fun to get one here from the goblins.

Just a warning, the mirror likes to throw out insults just as often as it does compliments.

Favorites would be playing with the wands and simply taking time to really explore. Another must do for us is eating at the Three Broomsticks and getting at least one pumpkin pasty. It is a similar tasting treat to a slice of pumpkin pie but more practical for carrying around a theme park. I also recommend sending mail by owl post at least once, but bring your own stamps because the ones they sell are all very expensive.

When we go for a week, we don’t do the commando style touring you’re describing. We sleep in some days, take long afternoon breaks by the pool, enjoy long lunches in Citywalk, go to the movies, or play mini golf. We also enjoy window shopping and people watching and taking our time and exploring all the little hidden corners of the park, like the gag joke boardwalk path behind Me Ship the Olive. In addition, we usually plan at least one or two days for trips somewhere else, maybe another park like SeaWorld or maybe a simple trip to an orange grove or the beach. So yes, I think 5 days with your touring style every day would be too much. I know it would be for us. We’d get bored after awhile without adding in all the other diversions we enjoy.

To give you an idea of size, if you did everything there was to do only once, you’d need about a day per park. Relaxed touring, shopping, and long meals can extend that time frame out some, but if you aren’t interested in that stuff, you’ll move through the actual rides fairly quickly with EP. This means you’ll have seen basically everything there is to see after the first two days. Only you’ll be able to judge if you’ll still have fun doing repeat rides after that.

I usually recommend 3 full days for a first time visit (unless you’re going only for HP). This gives you one full day per park, enough time to experience most all of the attractions, and one extra day to hit whatever you might have missed and to reride any favorites.

Last edited:

The wizarding money you can actually spend comes in the form of paper Gringotts Bank notes, equal to $10 or $20 US dollars.

In the past, they have also “exchanged” chocolate coins and souvenir coins for various US amounts as well. However, when exchanging for anything other than a Bank Note, don’t expect the exchange rate to be in your favor.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I really appreciate it!

We are going the last week of January (the 28th) and they are predicting low crowds--hope it is true. My family will totally go to the waterpark as long as it is 50 or so (or warmer) so I can see us spending some time there too. I will try to convince everyone that we don't need to go commando but my kids (and my husband) are always wanting to do just one more thing...

We do love shows and meeting characters so that will take some time. We may only do 4 days and go to Sea World one day.

We just spent a day at Cedar Point (If you can go there it is terrific! Great roller coasters!) and we rode from open at 10 am to close at 8pm (I picked a sunday with shorter hours but no lines at all) with only a 15 min break to eat a picnic meal so we are definitely commando people.

Work has been super busy but hopefully it will slow down soon so I can thoroughly read the links that were provided. Have a great one everybody!

Fridge - Yes
Keurig - Yes
Microwave - No (you have to ask)

Not sure

Food was expensive, don't think you need a meal plan. You should be able to find the information about what you can/cant bring in on the Universal site as I don't know.

HP was really cool. They are building another coaster where the dueling dragons used to be. Really think this part of the park is the best and wish it was bigger. The Goblins at the money exchange were funny but don't spend too much time there. The Diagon alley isn't that big but it is pretty neat. I was a bit disappointed in the magic spells with the wands - so don't spend your $$ on 4 wands - just buy one and share.

Thank you!
Way too much time IMO. We did BOTH parks and BOTH HP lands in ONE day with the express pass and this was during July 4th week. We had 2 full days in the parks and the boys 11 & 15 were bored halfway through the 2nd day. We stayed at RPR as you are doing and the express pass was awesome. I personally dont think you need more than 2 or 3 days max.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter