New to Universal with kids...help

monica9

DIS Veteran
Hi
We are staying a week at Disney but want to tack on 1 night at cabana bay and do 1 day at universal. We have a 10 year old who is looking for bigger and better rollercoasters than Disney gives and we have a 2 year old that won't be able to do much at Universal but my husband isn't big on rides so I will be riding the roller coasters with our oldest. We will probably not get to the resort until 12 so I'm assuming we should only do 1 park instead of the two in one day. We really just want to get a taste of universal to see how we like it and if it's worth it in the future when our younger one is older.
Which park do you suggest? Will a half day there be enough or the following day when we check out just go back to universal before heading to Disney?
We aren't harry potter fans so don't mind if we miss it.

Cheapest way to get to Universal from MCO and then to Disney? Uber?
Is there a time of year that Universal gives discounts on 1 day tickets? I see discounts at undercover tourist for 2 days plus.
Thanks for your help!!

Is there no way you can get there in the morning? You're wasting a lot of money only coming at noon since the parks tend to close pretty early AND you're setting yourself up to wait in lines all day. Just like at Disney, you can get so much done in the morning before lines build. If you can tweak it to arrive much earlier, you'll have a much better day. It'd be smarter to arrive at Cabana Bay the night before your park day.

There are no discounts on one day tickets.

I would do the Universal side with just one day. A 10 year old coaster rider would enjoy Rip Ride Rockit, the Mummy, and Gringotts. Transformers and MIB will be fun too. Little one can enjoy Curious George play area as well as fun shows.

However, over in IOA, there's Seuss for the little one and Hulk + Forbidden Journey for the big kid (plus more, obviously). I'd look at height rules, scope out play areas and maybe watch some YouTube videos of the rides to decide what is best for your crew.

Yes, Uber or Lyft are your cheapest options for transport.

We just got back from 4 days at Universal resort. I would say, if you only have 1 day, do Studios side! We all agreed that out of those days, our studios days were our favorite.

We can easily fly in the night before but the price for flights are more and an extra night at cabana costs too. I know it obviously makes more sense though. Or maybe we might just Uber to universal a day during our Disney trip instead of staying at universal. Thanks for the tips about choosing universal over IoA. Our daughter is just about 5ft and we aren’t going until September so I’m hoping she will be good to ride them all.

The tallest height restriction is 54" for The Hulk, so your daughter should be fine. That being said, I don't think she's going to be wowed by roller coasters at Universal. There's The Hulk and Rip Ride Rockit (which are in two different parks), and other than that, nothing is any more of a thrill-ride than what you'd get at Disney, other than the scare factor with screens and theming. Don't get me wrong: the other rides are a lot of fun, but you might need to manage expectations before you get there!

Can you modify your plans so Universal is the last part of your trip? It sounds like that had been the plan? Just leave Disney before dinner time, ride share over to Cabana Bay, enjoy the hotel, wake up and hit the parks. :)

Another idea might be to take a day in the middle of Disney and just you and the 10 year old go over to Unuversal while dad hangs with the 2 year old back at the WDW hotel (pools, nap, fun playground time). If it was just you and the 10 year old and you got there at opening you could do the 2 parks in 1 day hitting all the highlights in both. You’d also probably move a little faster without the toddler.

Pros- you wouldn’t have to change hotels, the 2 day ticket for 2 isn’t terribly more than 3 one park tickets, and each parent gets some special time with one kid (and as my 11 year old who has a 1 year old sister says it’s AWESOME when he gets a break and is the only kid for awhile).

The only downside is that your husband wouldn’t get to experience UO, but with a toddler his enjoyment was going to already be a little down and this way he can have fun hanging at the pool and in the room and not juggle snacks and nap time at a park....

If you want to just do half day I'd suggest staying at one of the 3 hotels that give you front of the line access instead of Cabana Bay. The Universal Stuidos park has an Animal show and Barney show for little kids. There is also a Dumbo type ride in the Simpsons area. ET has a height requirement that I think most 2 year olds should be able to ride. I wouldn't count on the curious george or Feivel play areas to be open though. Rumor is they will be closing after the new year for retheming. There is also a Dispicable Me ride that your 2 year old can ride.

Islands had the Dr. Suess area which has a carousel, play area, Dumbo type ride, Cat in the Hat, and an elevated train ride. Jurassic Park also has a really fun play area.
The new roller coaster should be open by your trip also.

For me, it would be a hard choice on which park to go to if only one park.

First, when are you going? Usually, the afternoons are the busiest regardless of time of year.

Second, no, there is no park that gives discounts on a 1 day park ticket. The biggest 2 coasters are in different parks. Hulk is in Islands and Rip Red Rocket is in the Studios. If she wants to ride the train, then you are looking at a park to park ticket. It's a very expensive one day fun, but if that's all you want to give, then it's what you have to pay. Most split their vacation, into days at Disney, and days at Universal, usually at the 3 that give the express as part of the stay. I will say all of the hotels are nice.

I'd uber over before the parks open, and expect to stay until the close. And take into consideration getting through City Walk, it will take a few minutes. Plenty of places to eat, when hungry. And, since you would not get express included in your stay at Cabana Bay, you're really not saving much by adding a night there.

What most people do is stay one night at Royal Pacific, the Hard Rock, or the Portofino, as all those 3 give you an unlimited express pass that is good from the day you check in, until park close the day you check out. Express lines are generally short,

At the age of your kids, I"d just uber, and break up while in the park sometimes, as there's places that the youngest will have fun, more than the older one. I'm just gonna say, the one place all have fun is where the shooting the balls at each other place. Seen adults have as much fun as the kids.

I hope you have fun, even if it's a single day.

Yes, Sea World has 3 great roller coaster plus a lot of things for little kids to enjoy. Sesame Street land may also be open by the time you go!

OP, I have been thinking about your circumstances, and have decided Sea World will be a lot better idea for your case.

They have some of the best coasters in the Orlando area, plus several other rides that are not to shabby. At Universal, the two best coasters are in separate parks.

At SW, Manta is my favorite, but you also have Kracken, and Mako. Atlantis is a log flume type ride and don't forget Infinity falls. That was my sons favorite even though he did not want to ride at first because you will get wet.

Getting there at noon will be fine because SW is less crowded at most times. With the cost savings over universal one day tickets, you could get front of the line passes and give your daughter a real good time, plus the animal shows are breath taking.

There will be lots of things to interest the little one even if the new play area is not open then.

Plus, overall, the park is a whole lot more compact.

I am not down on Universal, I just spent 4 days there myself. But staying at cabana bay only gives one perk, and that is an extra early morning hour which you would miss out on. Getting there at noon is going to be crowded. Line waits are going to be long. As I said, the best coaster rides are split between the parks.

I think you would be far better off saving your Universal trip to when you can devote more time, and possibly staying at one of the three hotels that gives unlimited express pass. Think unlimited fast passes with no pre scheduling.

When you do do Universal, do not neglect the Potter areas. They are fantastic even if you don't even know who Harry Potter is.

Can you modify your plans so Universal is the last part of your trip? It sounds like that had been the plan? Just leave Disney before dinner time, ride share over to Cabana Bay, enjoy the hotel, wake up and hit the parks. :)
That's a great idea and I know this is the Universal boards so don't be mad but I'm a bit biased and want to end my vacation at Disney. It just wouldn't feel right if we didn't lol

Another idea might be to take a day in the middle of Disney and just you and the 10 year old go over to Unuversal while dad hangs with the 2 year old back at the WDW hotel (pools, nap, fun playground time). If it was just you and the 10 year old and you got there at opening you could do the 2 parks in 1 day hitting all the highlights in both. You’d also probably move a little faster without the toddler.

Pros- you wouldn’t have to change hotels, the 2 day ticket for 2 isn’t terribly more than 3 one park tickets, and each parent gets some special time with one kid (and as my 11 year old who has a 1 year old sister says it’s AWESOME when he gets a break and is the only kid for awhile).

The only downside is that your husband wouldn’t get to experience UO, but with a toddler his enjoyment was going to already be a little down and this way he can have fun hanging at the pool and in the room and not juggle snacks and nap time at a park....
Great thought and we were thinking of just going for a day trip. They would probably come too but we would save by not staying at Universal. This idea probably makes the best sense for us.

Honestly, if it is roller coasters that you are after, I would suggest Sea World rather than Universal.
We usually go to SeaWorld for a day and yes, they hands down have the best rollercoasters but my daughter said those are a little too much for her. So she wants some that are in the middle.

OP, I have been thinking about your circumstances, and have decided Sea World will be a lot better idea for your case.

They have some of the best coasters in the Orlando area, plus several other rides that are not to shabby. At Universal, the two best coasters are in separate parks.

At SW, Manta is my favorite, but you also have Kracken, and Mako. Atlantis is a log flume type ride and don't forget Infinity falls. That was my sons favorite even though he did not want to ride at first because you will get wet.

Getting there at noon will be fine because SW is less crowded at most times. With the cost savings over universal one day tickets, you could get front of the line passes and give your daughter a real good time, plus the animal shows are breath taking.

There will be lots of things to interest the little one even if the new play area is not open then.

Plus, overall, the park is a whole lot more compact.

I am not down on Universal, I just spent 4 days there myself. But staying at cabana bay only gives one perk, and that is an extra early morning hour which you would miss out on. Getting there at noon is going to be crowded. Line waits are going to be long. As I said, the best coaster rides are split between the parks.

I think you would be far better off saving your Universal trip to when you can devote more time, and possibly staying at one of the three hotels that gives unlimited express pass. Think unlimited fast passes with no pre scheduling.

When you do do Universal, do not neglect the Potter areas. They are fantastic even if you don't even know who Harry Potter is.
Yes, they have the best rollercoasters. My oldest has been a few times to seaworld and my youngest went with us last year. I think she just wants to check out universal because her friends have been and it's the one park we haven't been to. It would be nice to see the new sesame street area at SeaWorld though but we have season passes to sesame place in pennsilvania.

B
Yes, they have the best rollercoasters. My oldest has been a few times to seaworld and my youngest went with us last year. I think she just wants to check out universal because her friends have been and it's the one park we haven't been to. It would be nice to see the new sesame street area at SeaWorld though but we have season passes to sesame place in pennsilvania.

Best of luck to you.

That's a great idea and I know this is the Universal boards so don't be mad but I'm a bit biased and want to end my vacation at Disney. It just wouldn't feel right if we didn't lol

Us mad, never...

The nice thing about the UO homies-we can share about anything here

We prefer the UO parks and try to answer all questions to help others

People can like all the parks, they all get our money and time

I would like to think you would enjoy the darkside parks but Sea World is a park worth checking out

The forum that includes Sea World has some great threads but is not as active and fast moving as this one

Came back to say that if you stay onsite at UO, they do have regular schedule free shuttles to Sea World daily

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter