New "Ultimate Nights" tour that skips Pandora lines

I agree that Disney is a luxury item. However, the products they are selling as of late are certainly not superior. You are paying more and getting much less. They are charging superior prices for mediocre entertainment on this one.

Fully agree that prices have gone up what quality has gone down, at least a bit - question is, what is the tipping point? And I think they are throwing things against the wall (things like this, the cabanas in the parks, etc) to see where that point is

That said, I hope the people that do this love it - but that it stays a small thing that doesn't negatively impact the "base" experience

You're comparing a park (MK) with literally twice the attendance as AK, so yes - my opinion is that it would make a significant difference in a park like AK. 7DMT isn't the only attraction in MK with significant wait times, either.
I believe even with more attractions FoP would still have the highest wait times.

You're comparing a park (MK) with literally twice the attendance as AK, so yes - my opinion is that it would make a significant difference in a park like AK. 7DMT isn't the only attraction in MK with significant wait times, either.

Maybe twice the attendance but about 5 times the number of rides.

So when the two Star Wars lands open do you think the wait times will be greatly different because one is in a park with a ton of rides and the other isn't?

I just think it is the first ride in a while that disney has opened that raised the bar from a technology and immersion and quality standpoint and hype got really going from the preview periods so it became *the* attraction. No matter where it was it would have had huge waits

Sure, quality of ride and the "newness factor" certainly plays a part. I don't deny that. Again, if the park had more quality options, this effect doesn't last for long and demand becomes more level-loaded. Fact of the matter is, AK is an underdeveloped park, so I expect this effect to last some time. I think demand for 7DMT remains solid because it's far and away the best kid-friendly attraction in MK: smooth track, just exciting enough but not too thrilling, new technology, etc. It fits a demographic that frankly was a little lacking. However, while still long, wait times are half of what they were when it opened and usually aren't much different than SM, BTM, etc. FOP will remain leaps and bounds longer than anything else in AK because there isn't much else.

This isn't about begrudging those that can afford the upcharge. It's begrudging TWDC for the blatant money grab. Yes, it's capitalism. Yes, there are people who will line up and pay for it - I get the microeconomics at play.

Had AK not been a half-baked, half-day park for the past 19 years with no new blood, maybe the banshee ride is only a 45 minute wait as opposed to a 120 minute wait and then there's no need to extort your loyal guests. That's what I begrudge. I'm not going to feed the beast and reward Disney with a $300 upcharge in exchange for nearly two decades worth of no developments.
Heeeeee....shoots and scoorrresss!!!

Fully agree that prices have gone up what quality has gone down, at least a bit - question is, what is the tipping point? And I think they are throwing things against the wall (things like this, the cabanas in the parks, etc) to see where that point is

That said, I hope the people that do this love it - but that it stays a small thing that doesn't negatively impact the "base" experience

Welcome to my world...Which just happens to be the real one and is where the "responsible consumerism" hits home.

...in other news: about a week ago, iger announced that the earnings are gonna be flat this year - which dropped the stock about 5% and puts it down over 20% in a year...

Flat...which hasn't happened in how long?

This is the game behind the game...the Sith Lord...

If you allow them to try to plug the levies with your wallet at parks - then we're all screwed.

It's not about anyone's week in the sun and matching tshirts...

Sure, quality of ride and the "newness factor" certainly plays a part. I don't deny that. Again, if the park had more quality options, this effect doesn't last for long and demand becomes more level-loaded. Fact of the matter is, AK is an underdeveloped park, so I expect this effect to last some time. I think demand for 7DMT remains solid because it's far and away the best kid-friendly attraction in MK: smooth track, just exciting enough but not too thrilling, new technology, etc. It fits a demographic that frankly was a little lacking. However, while still long, wait times are half of what they were when it opened and usually aren't much different than SM, BTM, etc. FOP will remain leaps and bounds longer than anything else in AK because there isn't much else.

This is part of what I can't get either...

The wait times are not that awful. This isn't radiator springs 2010 or the Elsa meet and greet in January 2013. No where close to hyper inflated.

Not even as offensive as mine or midway mania for the first few years...

I saw someone say "can't get the fastpass" and "our TWO trips per year" in the same explanation?

Really? Are the nights that long and cold in Duluth (or wherever) that it can't wait 5 months...$265, huh?

And it's Avatar...and that water parade thing that seems to be partially broken at all times...

...at least that's a proud tradition at AK...like the yeti.

...and being underbuilt and allowed to stay so for 20 years.

This isn't about begrudging those that can afford the upcharge. It's begrudging TWDC for the blatant money grab. Yes, it's capitalism. Yes, there are people who will line up and pay for it - I get the microeconomics at play.

Had AK not been a half-baked, half-day park for the past 19 years with no new blood, maybe the banshee ride is only a 45 minute wait as opposed to a 120 minute wait and then there's no need to extort your loyal guests. That's what I begrudge. I'm not going to feed the beast and reward Disney with a $300 upcharge in exchange for nearly two decades worth of no developments.

Exactly my sentiments.

What is the SWL "upgrade" going to cost? Over/Under starting at $500.

The above is an indictment on current "strategic" thinking. Thanks for giving us what will probably/hopefully be 2 great rides ( I know an immersive land as well). But since there will be only like 8 rides open at the time, going to HS you will be lucky to get 4 rides done in a day.

We can't go back and make them build out capacity, but hey, let's throw em $500 for a day's admission so that we can enjoy ourselves........

Exactly my sentiments.

What is the SWL "upgrade" going to cost? Over/Under starting at $500.

The above is an indictment on current "strategic" thinking. Thanks for giving us what will probably/hopefully be 2 great rides ( I know an immersive land as well). But since there will be only like 8 rides open at the time, going to HS you will be lucky to get 4 rides done in a day.

We can't go back and make them build out capacity, but hey, let's throw em $500 for a day's admission so that we can enjoy ourselves........

But if they didn't offer the "upgrade" option how many rides would you get in? The same right?

Now, unless the theory is they are purposely under-developing now (not in the past (which I think we can all agree they did), but now) because they know they can offer these upgrades, then, ok, that I can get as a valid argument and something to be upset with. But as long as extras are just that "extra" I don't see the issue

I mean, we would all love it if they doubled the number of attraction in each park and cut the cost of a ticket in half and reduced the number of people allowed in the parks so there were no lines, but it isn't realistic ... I'd much rather they add extras than jack up the cost of the baseline entry ticket

But if they didn't offer the "upgrade" option how many rides would you get in? The same right?

Now, unless the theory is they are purposely under-developing now (not in the past (which I think we can all agree they did), but now) because they know they can offer these upgrades, then, ok, that I can get as a valid argument and something to be upset with. But as long as extras are just that "extra" I don't see the issue

I mean, we would all love it if they doubled the number of attraction in each park and cut the cost of a ticket in half and reduced the number of people allowed in the parks so there were no lines, but it isn't realistic ... I'd much rather they add extras than jack up the cost of the baseline entry ticket

I don't think 10 years ago they purposely underbuilt, knowing that one day when they did build they could add in these upgrades (but if they did, kind of evil genius)

I just don't like the "feel" of it.

I'm not being a realist, and I get that. But really they should be giving out free treats to those waiting in 120 FOP lines and saying, "sorry for Chester and Hester, we are trying to get you your $100 worth".

Instead, they are going for the "fine, we built more, now how can we get more for our hard work".

I'm not patting them on the shoulder. Especially with $100 bills.

I know that Animal Kingdom is my favorite park, so this really does interest me. However, I have done the Ultimate Day of Thrills Tour that is about $25 more than this tour and longer than this tour. The AP discount brought the tour down to around the same price of this tour. The Ultimate Day of Thrills Tour takes you to "most" of the big thrill/popular attractions in MK, EPCOT, and DHS. When I did that tour, the tour said it would end around 4 p.m. I made all of my fastpasses for AK that night and went straight there after the tour. That literally meant that I hit all of the big attractions in one day. The only thing that is different between the time I did that tour and now is Pandora wasn't open when I did the tour.

I don't think 10 years ago they purposely underbuilt, knowing that one day when they did build they could add in these upgrades (but if they did, kind of evil genius)

I just don't like the "feel" of it.

I'm not being a realist, and I get that. But really they should be giving out free treats to those waiting in 120 FOP lines and saying, "sorry for Chester and Hester, we are trying to get you your $100 worth".

Instead, they are going for the "fine, we built more, now how can we get more for our hard work".

I'm not patting them on the shoulder. Especially with $100 bills.

That's fair, and I am certainly not patting them on the back for this (like you said, definitely not with $100 bills) - I just don't see the issue with "extras" that are truly "extra" ... BUT that needs to come along with top notch service for everyone and when we feel we aren't getting that (and I know while I still find it very strong, it isn't as good, consistently, as it has been and maintenance isn't what it was, etc.) that is the bigger issue.

So with what you have laid out, i guess I would want both - offer these "extras" for those that can/want to pay for them, but *also* hand out waters (or Dole whips, or whatever) to people waiting in the 3 hour lines for FoP

10 years ago...they ABSOLUTELY underbuilt...

How do I know? Quite simple - crowds have risen over 45 years on a fairly predictable trajectory and they did scheduled investments corresponding to it. When they ceased to go scheduled investments - after animal kingdom and millennium...they by definition underbuilt.

Disney started this in 1955...they know damn well what they're doing. We don't have to alert Scotland Yard.

10 years ago...they ABSOLUTELY underbuilt...

How do I know? Quite simple - crowds have risen over 45 years on a fairly predictable trajectory and they did scheduled investments corresponding to it. When they ceased to go scheduled investments - after animal kingdom and millennium...they by definition underbuilt.

Disney started this in 1955...they know damn well what they're doing. We don't have to alert Scotland Yard.

... I'd much rather they add extras than jack up the cost of the baseline entry ticket

Part of my disdain also stems from the decade of no development accompanied by steady YOY price increases. So on the surface, I get where this might feel like no harm is being done, but to me, it just triggers the gag reflex - I haven't forgotten that dark period and much of that leadership group is still in place. Many folks may still be clouded by the remaining pixie dust left from the recent D23 announcements (don't forget that all of these "new attractions coming soon" will take years to come to fruition). It's little programs like this - a $300 fast pass program - that brings me back to reality and reminds me that Iger and his army of bean counters are still the man behind the curtain.

Part of my disdain also stems from the decade of no development accompanied by steady YOY price increases. So on the surface, I get where this might feel like no harm is being done, but to me, it just triggers the gag reflex - I haven't forgotten that dark period and much of that leadership group is still in place. Many folks may still be clouded by the remaining pixie dust left from the recent D23 announcements (don't forget that all of these "new attractions coming soon" will take years to come to fruition). It's little programs like this - a $300 fast pass program - that brings me back to reality and reminds me that Iger and his army of bean counters are still the man behind the curtain.

I know this is gonna shock you...but I completely agree with you

People are missing the big picture. Yes the price is $$$ and few see value. That's good. Limited to 35 people means no real impact on "regular" guests. Price it like some of the posters are asking and you'll wind up not seeing the attraction unless you pay up. How many people are able to get seated for the Candlelight Processional without buying a dinner package?

People are missing the big picture. Yes the price is $$$ and few see value. That's good. Limited to 35 people means no real impact on "regular" guests. Price it like some of the posters are asking and you'll wind up not seeing the attraction unless you pay up. How many people are able to get seated for the Candlelight Processional without buying a dinner package?

Your point is "what's the big deal?"

I get you...and the reality is this isn't major impact - for now.

But the "big picture" is that management is like a 6 year old...very easily influenced/encouraged...

It's good to punch them in the financial nose on these things...where appropriate.

Am I exaggerating? Perhaps...but a fire starts with a spark.

Notice what's been going on with the Halloween/Christmas parties? Or the tacky food festivals in Epcot?

Those used to be really cool events...now the quality is eroding and tacky is coming more into view.

Don't feed the animals.

I know that Animal Kingdom is my favorite park, so this really does interest me. However, I have done the Ultimate Day of Thrills Tour that is about $25 more than this tour and longer than this tour. The AP discount brought the tour down to around the same price of this tour. The Ultimate Day of Thrills Tour takes you to "most" of the big thrill/popular attractions in MK, EPCOT, and DHS. When I did that tour, the tour said it would end around 4 p.m. I made all of my fastpasses for AK that night and went straight there after the tour. That literally meant that I hit all of the big attractions in one day. The only thing that is different between the time I did that tour and now is Pandora wasn't open when I did the tour.
The Ultimate tour is totally in a different boat. You know up front what you are getting and while not for everyone there is a demand of sorts for it. It also includes things in one day that you'd never get to do without the perks of that tour, unlike this tour which includes FP for rides that won't take you half a day to get on. Here we have no idea what backstage part of the tour entails. I would assume that if they start to sell out, which I am hearing they have, that they can offer way less backstage because people are paying anyway for just the FP. I would say your Ultimate tour is a much better value than what you get here. Now, in order to get me to buy this tour it would have to include lunch with Joe Rhode. So I'm guessing I won't be buying here.:P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter