New waitlist policy?

houseofduck

DIS Veteran
I recently had two waitlist requests for the same night. One of my requests matched and I went to the waitlist area on the web site to deactivate the second request. That's when I discovered that Member Services had canceled the request already. I also noticed a new message (to me) in the waitlist section on this same topic..

"Inactive Waitlist requests are either those requests you've deactivated before they reached their expiration date, or requests that Member Services has deactivated because they are for the same dates as another of your Waitlist requests that has been confirmed. Note that once your requests have been deactivated?moved from the Active Waitlist's virtual queue?they cannot be reactivated."

This policy is different from what I have experienced in the past. In fact, one time, I had two waitlist requests for the same night and both matched at the same time. Member Services processed both requests at that time.

I'm not sure when this policy changed, but it was new to me this week!

Hmmm, not so sure I like that.

It's possible to need two rooms for the same night. Perhaps using different names on the reservations is necessary to avoid MS cancelling a waitlist.

Put me in the “it’s always been this way” category. When both matched at the same time, I imagine it was a fluke and they didn’t see the competing waitlists because of the timing. I think I’d be pretty upset if I matched a waitlist and then a second waitlist either cancelled the first match or borrowed extra points and left me with two reservations for the same night.

Count me in the "it's always been that way" group, too. That doesn't mean MS always follows that process. Mistakes happen.

This is from the Home Resort Rules:

Member Services, in its sole, absolute and unfettered discretion, may: (i) amend or eliminate any Wait List at any time; (ii) limit the number of Club Members on any Wait List at any time; and (iii) limit or deny Club Member requests to join any Wait List, if DVC Operator, in its reasonable business judgment, determines that such limitation would be for the principal purpose of improving upon the quality and operation of the Wait List and furthering the collective enjoyment of the use of the Vacation Homes by Club Members taken as a whole.

A bit of a different situation, but I recently had a stay booked at BWV with 1 night in the middle at BLT because I was waiting for a 1 night BWV WL to come through. I did not specify for the WL to replace an existing booking if it came through. I was surprised when it did come through and they canceled the 1 night at BLT before taking the points for the BWV night. It worked out for us since that's what I wanted, but I was a little surprised that they would have canceled the booked night at BLT when I did not choose the option to do so. Wonder if this is typical? I suppose if you want to have the same night at different resorts, it would be safest to put different lead guest names on the reservations.

Yep - always been that way.

If you are waitlisting because you need two different rooms for the same night you need to put different names on them however it would still be possible that MS would not notice the name difference and cancel the second one if the first matches.

This policy may not be new, but it has not always been this way. When I had two requests fill at the same time, I called Member Services and questioned why two requests for the same night were filled. At that time, they told me that I would have to deactivate the requests myself if I no longer wanted them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter