New washer and dryer

dazedx3

DIS Veteran
We need a washer and dryer. We want front loading and not white, other than that we want it simple as can be. Any suggestions of good ones or ones to stay away from? Of course budget is always a consideration also

I just replaced Samsung pair after 10 years.
My washer dies and the cost of repair was close to buying new, so I replaced the washer. Then 4 days after replacing the washer, the dryer went. WTH! I swear there was a 10 year countdown clock built into the electronics.

Yes, it's crazy the salesperson just informed us that washers and dryers are made to last 5-7 years.
Why you ask? Because consumers put up with it. I don't.. The LG models we bought came with a 10 year warranty and that is why we picked them.

tv guy.... Do you remember the model numbers on the LG you bought? We have been kind of leaning towards LG, we don't have a Cosco membership but we would consider it if it was worth it.

we just bought a Maytag set this past weekend.... I love it. Lowe's and Home Depot are having "May is Maytag month" so we got a great deal at Lowes...

I've torn apart, and successfully repaired, both my front-load washer and my dryer - more than once. They are remarkably simple. You can learn almost anything on YouTube. Dishwashers OTOH - those have been really unreliable and you can't fix them. We've gotten the extended warranty and the tech who came out to fix it told us it was not worth fixing. The CPU goes out and you are done. We go through one every 5 years or so. Good brands too - Bosch, GE, Frigidaire. Microwaves too.

Yes, we've taken apart our dryer and replaced the same issues at least four times. They are over 12 years old so we've decided it's time.

We have a Speed Queen set. They are commercial grade and made in the USA. Mine is a top load but they make front load models as well. I love it. It's been probably 5 years so I can't say for now but back then you had to find an authorized dealer which was an appliance store. Best Buy, Home Depot, & Lowe's didn't carry them.

I too am in the market for a new washer/dryer. The washer is making a HORRIBLE noise when it spins, even on low speed.

tv guy.... Do you remember the model numbers on the LG you bought? We have been kind of leaning towards LG, we don't have a Cosco membership but we would consider it if it was worth it.
Washer is WM2250C Dryer is DLE2250. But they are seven years old, so those models may no longer be offered. We bought them at Sears, not Costco. I've never been in a Costco. Even with their financial woes, Sears still seems to be a pretty good place to buy appliances. My daughter bought a house last summer and bought her Washer, Dryer and Vacuum cleaner there.

We had a LG front loading set and loved them so much that when we needed to replace them earlier this year, we repurchased LG again. Ours came from Lowes

We have one of the LG models also (each brand sells several models). Lowe's offered free delivery and removal of our old units when we purchased a few years ago. They have worked great and had no trouble with them.

I had a front loader and hated it because if you don't meticulously wipe down the seals after washing and then leave the door open to air dry then you will end up with mold build up. I got sick of it and was never more excited to get it out and I bought a GE top loader with no electronics and just dials like my parents had when growing up. It has a big stainless steel drum and holds big loads. Clothes are clean and nothing fancy to break.

I too am in the market for a new washer/dryer. The washer is making a HORRIBLE noise when it spins, even on low speed.
Have you considered getting it fixed?
If it an "old technology" top load unit, the repair may be way less than a new one.
We have kept our Kenmore/Whirlpool going for 15 years and will go to extraordinary efforts to keep it chugging along.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter