New Year, New Start - January WISH Challenge

Good morning folks! My name is Jerry from Baton Rouge, LA. I'm 36, married with two great children ages 6 (Girl) and 2 (Boy). Not all that long ago I was a marathon runner with my last one being WDW in 2019. The downward trend was in full swing leading up to the race which resulted in personal worst. Somewhere along the way I went from fit to not so much gaining 35 lbs along the way.

My 2020 goal is to drop that weight and run either a half or full marathon in January 2021. To do so, I have started running early in the morning (4:30 AM) with our Brittany Spaniel who is even more excited than me lol. Not only will reaching these goals do wonders for the physical side of things, but mentally I am just a much happier person when I exercise regularly.

Since starting I am down 5lbs so far this year by not eating so much bad food and the start of running. I will continue to try to check in as often as I can for updates and to see how others are doing as well. If anyone is looking to get into running, feel free to visit the running thread 2020 version on the runDisney section of this forum. Good luck everyone and together we can all reach out goals!
Welcome! Sounds like you've got a great start.

Good morning folks! My name is Jerry from Baton Rouge, LA. I'm 36, married with two great children ages 6 (Girl) and 2 (Boy). Not all that long ago I was a marathon runner with my last one being WDW in 2019. The downward trend was in full swing leading up to the race which resulted in personal worst. Somewhere along the way I went from fit to not so much gaining 35 lbs along the way.

My 2020 goal is to drop that weight and run either a half or full marathon in January 2021. To do so, I have started running early in the morning (4:30 AM) with our Brittany Spaniel who is even more excited than me lol. Not only will reaching these goals do wonders for the physical side of things, but mentally I am just a much happier person when I exercise regularly.

Since starting I am down 5lbs so far this year by not eating so much bad food and the start of running. I will continue to try to check in as often as I can for updates and to see how others are doing as well. If anyone is looking to get into running, feel free to visit the running thread 2020 version on the runDisney section of this forum. Good luck everyone and together we can all reach out goals!

Welcome!!!

I think most of us have Disney trips planned this year! Our trip isn’t until August, so looking forward to your takes on new rides and attractions. @MickeyMom76, we love Vero Beach! Such a beautiful resort.
Yes, that's a woohoo right there! I'm not doing any of the ADR or FP+ planning, which is kind of weird in a rather wonderful way. It'll be my first time deluxe - Polly and Broadwalk - which I'm really looking forward to. And first time for the new Star Wars stuff... even the new Mickey Railroad ride is supposed to be open then, so lots of new stuff to experience.

:welcome:
It’s exciting to have new people joining in! I’m hoping to do a Disney half-marathon or 10k some day. So far I’ve only managed to do local 5ks. But this past summer I completed my first 5k without walking! My current goal is 2022 Disney Princess half-marathon for my 45th birthday. But we’ll see if I can build up to that. I haven't rum much since summer, but have been doing indoor cardio & strength workouts.

:welcome: @LSUlakes!

I had a good Wednesday - It was an easier day than expected, I got to do a couple "random acts of kindness" that felt really good, and I got a text from my cousin about an upcoming visit. :goodvibes

I still have to get off the computer and exercise, but at least I'm in a good mood as I head to the treadmill!

It’s Thankful Thursday!

What are 3 things you are thankful for this week & why?

1. Insurance covered, preventative health care and paid sick leave for medical appointments
- I had my yearly mammogram this week and all is good. My mom & ain’t are both breast cancer survivors!

2. Finally getting to see one of my son’s high school basketball games in entirety.
- I was there for tip off (first time) and he had his best game. We still lost (overall we aren’t very good). Be he was much more aggressive, (driving to the basket, rebounding, and even took a charge) and he scored the first 9 points for his team! In the last 2 minutes, he and 2 other starters were taken out so 3 others could get some playing time. One of the kids who never played before and isn’t especially athletic made a 3 point shot. My son lead cheering on the bench! They went crazy (even though we were losing 54-37). Love that they are having fun as freshman, even in the constant face of defeat.

3. Plans are coming together for my April Disney trip.
- I consider planning a Disney trip less than 180 days out as a “last minute trip”. I decided on this trip about 108 days out. So I’m feeling a bit behind. But things are falling into place. I had a waitlist one night and that came through yesterday. The flights I was hoping for dropped in price, even more than I had hoped. And I was able to get a dining reservation for 2 at Ohana ( my sons favorite!)...although not until 9:15pm. I’ll keep checking for an earlier time ;) and we were able to get us added to my sister’s reservation at Whispering Canyon Cafe. Now to just keep it a secret until the end April. :poop:

In searching for an image for today. I came across this article with tips on starting a gratitude journal. It has me thinking about starting one. I’ve never been one to keep a journal, but I’ve always thought it sounded like a good idea. Anyway, here’s the link to the article in case anyone is interested.

https://penzu.com/gratitude-journal

I've done gratitude journals at various times, when I needed a little boost. They do help!

Right now I keep a "one-line-a-day" journal, and I love looking back at the previous years' entries on each page.

3 Thankfuls for today:
  • DH, who did a bunch of little things yesterday because my day had the potential to be really tiring, and he set out to make it easier :)
  • DS, who I'm enjoying having at home on his college break
  • The news just said sunshine today!

3 things i am thankful for

1. A free gym at work. This has made working out so much easier for me.
2. Family. I loved all the family time I got over our 2 weeks off.
3. Being able to take a Disney trip with my mom and step-dad. I have missed the other 2 vacations over the years where they went to Myrtle Beach with my brother and sisters families. They are not Disney lovers at all and don't understand why we go so often but I will turn them around on this trip. Plus I think my mom would love to go back if all things go well with food for her. She has celiacs and it looks like she will be able to eat a lot at Disney.

Thankful Thursday...

Turns out I am going to be thankful for the de-icer and snow shovel. The forecast has been changing and now they are saying for sure snow in the low lands starting Sunday evening and continuing thru next week. The Seahawk's game starts at 3:40pm Sunday afternoon, so that sounds just about perfect for hunkering down to watch the game and the snow.

This has been a good productive work week.

Also thankful for my upcoming Disney trip. Every trip I think is going to be the last one for a while and I only thought to do this one when I saw that the other gals were booked, because we're all Friends-and-Family in MDE. We're also doing O'Hana one evening, which has been on my list for a long time and will be even more fun to do in the group.

Thankful Thursday

Social Security! I started collecting this month and between that and my pension, it’s like someone is paying me to stay home! I loved my job, but retirement is wonderful.

Our DVC ownership. Since 2002 we’ve enjoyed many trips as a couple and family. Not just our WDW trips, but Vero Beach and Hilton Head as well. With 20 something temperatures and snow on the ground it’s fun to have a trip coming up.

Family. Had a wonderful holiday this year-my grandson rated it it an 11 out of 10, and I agreed!

View attachment 463801
It’s Thankful Thursday!

What are 3 things you are thankful for this week & why?

2. Finally getting to see one of my son’s high school basketball games in entirety.
- I was there for tip off (first time) and he had his best game. We still lost (overall we aren’t very good). Be he was much more aggressive, (driving to the basket, rebounding, and even took a charge) and he scored the first 9 points for his team! In the last 2 minutes, he and 2 other starters were taken out so 3 others could get some playing time. One of the kids who never played before and isn’t especially athletic made a 3 point shot. My son lead cheering on the bench! They went crazy (even though we were losing 54-37). Love that they are having fun as freshman, even in the constant face of defeat.

Love HS sports! When I was working I would try to attend one game of every sport. Saw so many examples of good sportsmanship and as you said, the joy of playing. And the next day at least one athlete would thank me for coming to their game-so sweet!

It’s Free Choice Friday! :cool1:

I made "Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Chili" again this week, I thought I’d share the recipe again in case anyone needs it (good for being snowed in and watching football @Oneanne). Any other favorite recipes anyone wants to share?

Taco Seasoning Ingredients:
1 1/2 TBS ground cumin
1 1/2 TBS chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Mix seasoning in small bowl.

In the crockpot, combine 8oz tomato sauce, 15 oz can black beans, 15 oz can kidney beans, 10oz frozen corn, 20 oz (2 10 oz cans) diced tomatoes w/chilies, 1 small onion (chopped), 4 oz chopped green chilies, and taco seasoning. Stir well. Nestle 3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 8 oz each) on top and cover. Cook on low for 10 hours or high for 6 hours. About 30 minutes before it's done, remove the chicken and shred. Return the chicken to the slow cooker and stir well.

Serving size: 1 cup
Calories: 221
Fat: 3 g
Saturated fat: 0.5 g
Cholesterol: 44 mg
Carbohydrate: 28 g
Fiber: 8.5 g
Protein: 21 g
Sugars: 6 g
Sodium: 729 mg

My super long Friday Post will be my notes form day 3 from my reset & book and it's on preventing hunger

Day3 - notes from the book

The more weight you want to permanently lose more of your life you need to permanently change.

Managing Hunger
Body keeps track of 3 things– time, calories, protein. Like a tripwire, if the alarm for either goes off, it triggers hunger. Once tripped the alarm it tends to leave a person to suffer of portion control or choices later in the day

Time
Eat between 2.5 to 3.5 hours. Eat breakfast within 60 minutes of waking up (I don’t plan to, I get up at 5 am and eat after 8 am) If you don’t feel like eating breakfast it’s likely you eat too much in the evening and this pattern of eating is not likely to lead to successful weight management.

Do you really need to eat 5/6 times a day. No. You can experiment. Do the rest of the 10 days reset every 2.5 to 3.5 hours as data set to compare to any other pattern you like to try after. Do what’s right for you, there is no one way fits all. Use your diary to track hunger, calories and cravings after that to compare and find out what works for you. Frequent meals is usually big ticket change that is very helpful to many

Calories
If you eat too little during the day, you are likely to have too much in night. His approach is based on minim calories per meal, not maximums. 300 to 350 minimum calories per meal/ and 150 calories per snack – minimum. There is no traumatic upper limit as he calls it, if you are hungry eat. He suggests minimum cal should not go bellow 1400 calories. I think somewhere else in the book he mentions minimum of 1600 if you had any traumatic dieting experience (as losing and regaining weight).

Protein
Minimums – 20g per meal and 10 per snack. Miss protein on one meal and snack can often lead to night time hunger/cravings. Cereal only for breakfast often leads for hunger later during the day. If you track your DDD once the 10 days are over you can track your protein intake/impact. His experience is miss protein even on one meal have negative impact to his DDD

Carbs
People on low carb diets are less hungry. The issue tend to be that they aren’t willing to live in extreme low carb level forever. And if you aren’t willing to live this way forever, whatever weight you lose is going to come back. If you love the low carb lifestyle – it does not appear to be dangerous. Medical evidence, low carb is just as healthy and at times healthier than more traditional low fat approaches.

Prevent Hunger
You are likely to eat more and more indulgently if you sit down for a meal very hungry. Both physical and brain hunger are valid. Keep your meals regular, your calories and protein minimums. Eat too little during the day you will pay for it later. Eat your protein every meal. For every 45 minutes of exercise add 150 calories more. If you are hungry, eat more. You are not going to follow a plan who forces you to fight hunger regularly

If you really want to eat 3 times a day, make sure that your calories are equally divided. 25% minimum of each meal should be protein. (as don’t skimp on breakfast so you can eat more in the evening)

Minimums vs Maximums. Having minimums, doesn’t mean you can eat as much as you want as often as you whatever you want without having effect to your weight. It does mean that (according to him) that if you are going to succeed in controlling your calories you can’t be (very) hungry. Ensuring you eat enough per meal and snack is critical aspect of hunger management.

If you are hoping for weight loss what and how much you eat is going to matter. You are going to need to pick and choose when is going to be worth to you to indulge and part of your decision making process will involve your weight loss goals. You always thought that weight loss is will power. His view is that will power is the absence of hunger.

it's a weird combination of quotes, edits as I don't agree entirely with everything so please don't read the book and tell me I am wrong or I read it wrong. This is my read, with my views/experience added and I don't aim to rewrite his book or tell it all. It's what I want to get out of it

End of Day Checklist (If you’ve missed anything, restart Day 3 again tomorrow, and don’t spend even a moment beating yourself up about it— life happens.)
☐ Your home- cooked foods were all weighed and measured (done, maybe some fruit was not measured)
☐ Your food was completely diarized, nonjudgmentally, in real time— good, bad, and ugly, without artificial restrictions (done)
☐ Your meals each contained at least one fifth of your total daily recommended caloric aim and at least 20 grams of protein (done)
☐ Your snacks each contained at least 150 calories and at least 10 grams of protein (done)
☐ You set up reminders to help yourself remember when to eat (I didn't need reminder, I was off and it was easy to do. I ate every 3.5 hours, and find 3.5/4 hours good but for the purpose of this reset I will stick to 3 to 3.5)
☐ You ate an additional 150 calories for every 45 minutes you exercised, either immediately before or after your workout (didn't exercise)
☐ You ate more if you were hungry (done)
☐ You read tomorrow’s daily plan and you’re ready for it

and my personal comments on it
Eating every 3 to 4 hours (even if not hungry as he states), and having sufficient protein on each meal very quick and sure way to reduce my hunger/cravings for me. By lunch time yesterday after 2 meals with good protein portion. There was big difference in my hunger level for the rest of the day compared to the day before. I don't ever crave protein, and this is probably one of the reasons things went the wrong way for me last year. I would eat oats & banana for breakfast. Big bowl of pasta with veggies for lunch. Carbs and veggies and fruit really. And than I wonder why I am hungry all the time! I find following his recommendation really made it easy to eat less so I am happy to get a refresher on it.

He talks about 3 meals 3 snacks, I find 3 meals 1 or max two snacks more than enough tbh. Eating every 2.5 would be too much. His recommendation for protein 3*20+3*10=90g as minimum. I have slightly less meals per day but plan to not go below the protein per day.

The protein suggestion and the eating regularly even in the absence of hunger is one that while in practise works great for me I keep getting... side tracked. I read about someone how they manage to eat whatever they want, eat according to hunger, lose weight and feel great. Wishful thinking kicks in - it sounds so good and so much better. But I learned the hard way there is no one way fit all and there is so much conflicting and confusing advise. If something makes it easier for me to be happy with less calories - I will focus on that.

I have heard such conflicting advise on hunger. Some say you need to eat 2 to 2, some you have to be hungry for an hour before you eat . Some say eat 3 times a day. What do you think would or is working for you? have you tried different ways?

For me this suits best. I tried lean habits book where you are suppose to be hungry for an hour before you start eating but wasn't my thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!