News Round Up 2017

I continue to say that if you do an attraction for 101 Dalmatians that is literally just a room fully o 1010 dalmatian puppies that you get to play with it would be the most popular attraction in the park

Very true. It's a shame some of the classic IPs like '101 Dalmations', 'Bambi', 'Pinocchio' etc. aren't really represented in the parks.

Very true. It's a shame some of the classic IPs like '101 Dalmations', 'Bambi', 'Pinocchio' etc. aren't really represented in the parks.

It really depends on your definition of representation though.

101 Dalmatians - Cruella is a villain in Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom, can be met at halloween parties and is in the stage show. She also meets regularly at other parks throughout the year
Bambi - The most underrepresented of the three listed, but Thumper and Miss Bunny are available to meet periodically and songs and stories are part of the Tree of Life Awakenings
Pinocchio - Has a ride and restaurant in multiple parks around the world. Various characters appear in shows and parades (FOF and Fantasmic in WDW, had a segment in Fantastmic at DLR, Im sure appears in other parks as well). The theme song was the basis of Wishes and continues to be used in Disneyland's firework show

Independently, each story could arguably have more of a presence. But there is only so much space for more on a whole. Not every story lends itself to a large in park presence

at least they have the Pinocchio dark ride at Disneyland (which is one of the better dark rides) - all we get on the East coast is a mediocre quick service location

Bambi would be kinda hard to do as a ride - but definitely feels a bit underappreciated.

If only they had had an attraction that was set up to show scenes from various movies that was in need o updating and could be used to highlight the evolution of Disney animation ... oh, well

It really depends on your definition of representation though.

101 Dalmatians - Cruella is a villain in Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom, can be met at halloween parties and is in the stage show. She also meets regularly at other parks throughout the year
Bambi - The most underrepresented of the three listed, but Thumper and Miss Bunny are available to meet periodically and songs and stories are part of the Tree of Life Awakenings
Pinocchio - Has a ride and restaurant in multiple parks around the world. Various characters appear in shows and parades (FOF and Fantasmic in WDW, had a segment in Fantastmic at DLR, Im sure appears in other parks as well). The theme song was the basis of Wishes and continues to be used in Disneyland's firework show

Independently, each story could arguably have more of a presence. But there is only so much space for more on a whole. Not every story lends itself to a large in park presence

I was thinking more of WDW only and not parks globally. I should have been clearer about that.

So they share this regarding Epcot:

"The U.K. pavilion is said to get that new attraction in time for the 50th anniversary, according to WDWMagic sources. Those sources have also said the ride will be centered around a Disney intellectual property, and that it is not Mary Poppins."​

If it is not Marry Poppins, do we assume Alice? Are there other options that might fit which I might have missed?

In addition to 101 Dalmatians, Alice, Sword and the Stone, there's also Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, Robin Hood, among others.

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/England

I'd love to see Robin Hood or Sword and the Stone (especially since live action is forthcoming around same time.)

I'm going with Sword and the Stone. Arthur opens the opportunity for Merlin as a counter(Hollywood me too) to Harry Potter.

I'm going with Sword and the Stone. Arthur opens the opportunity for Merlin as a counter(Hollywood me too) to Harry Potter.
You think there's a possibility that they relocate the Sword and the Stone from Fantasyland to UK Pavilion then?

Oh and HEA is beyond amazing. Went to that 4 times-twice to MK just for that-crowded though for good reason.

DH & I got to enjoy 5 park days together JUST THE TWO OF US right after Irma passed through. It was fabulous! This is not really in response to @jade1 in particular, but I did want to put my opinion out there...we did not like HEA. We both were very impressed with the projections - that technology is incredible! But, I had no emotional connection to the new show. The message of "make your own magic" just doesn't quite give me the feels the way Wishes did. I like to suspend reality in the parks and believe in "wishes" and "magic"
- you know, fantasy stuff! This new show - IMO - kinda takes the "magic" out of it...it's having a dream, yes, but YOU make that dream happen, you have to have friends and family who help you along the way, you have to overcome adversity, you have to be willing to fight for it...and that's a little too much reality for me...

I had an open mind going in and I was really looking forward to seeing the new show, but it just fell flat for us.

And I'm trying not to be very trip-reporty...but a comment or two on Pandora. We loved FOP - so much fun!!! The land itself IS impressive, but there was something off about it. I thought about it a lot, and I think that the "Pandoran" flora needs more movement. It's all very static, for example, if a breeze blows, they don't move. I kinda felt like I was walking through a set.

It was pretty crazy to see how many trees were down across the property - not necessarily IN the parks, but as we rode around! When we were at AK, I was talking to a CM by the flamingos habitat about different things. (He was very knowledgeable and very interesting to talk to!) As we talked about the storm, he drew my attention to the kangaroos behind the flamingos and the fact that you can clearly view the trunk of the Tree of Life from that vantage point. He said prior to the storm, you could not see the trunk because of all the trees and foliage! He said that the kangaroos were having a tough time adjusting to the new habitat. However, the animal caretakers were considering leaving the habitat as is (letting nature rebuild itself) as it provides a healthy, stimulating challenge to the animals to adjust and problem solve as they might have to in the wild. I thought that was very interesting.

OK - I know this wasn't News/Rumors, but thanks for indulging me. :D

News

‘Avatar 2’ Begins Shooting After Months of Pre-Production in Australia

Here I thought the whole franchise was going to be more focused on Pandora instead of the same characters, but I guess I was mistaken.
Huh. Characters were the weakest part of that movie IMO... no... the dialogue was, with characters as a close second.

Wonder how this bodes for any future expansion of Pandora... though if I had to bet, I'd guess WDW would put $$$ elsewhere regardless... ... perhaps unless the new films are MASSIVE HITS.

DH & I got to enjoy 5 park days together JUST THE TWO OF US right after Irma passed through. It was fabulous! This is not really in response to @jade1 in particular, but I did want to put my opinion out there...we did not like HEA. We both were very impressed with the projections - that technology is incredible! But, I had no emotional connection to the new show. The message of "make your own magic" just doesn't quite give me the feels the way Wishes did. I like to suspend reality in the parks and believe in "wishes" and "magic"
- you know, fantasy stuff! This new show - IMO - kinda takes the "magic" out of it...it's having a dream, yes, but YOU make that dream happen, you have to have friends and family who help you along the way, you have to overcome adversity, you have to be willing to fight for it...and that's a little too much reality for me...

I had an open mind going in and I was really looking forward to seeing the new show, but it just fell flat for us.

Thank you for sharing your reaction to it ... obviously based on the article in my signature (;)) I feel differently. I do totally get the idea of escaping reality in the parks - but I also see the parks as wanting to inspire (I know Walt very much wanted Tomorrowland to inspire people to work towards a brighter tomorrow through technology, for example) and so I see it connecting that way. Also seems like Disney movies are moving that way too - very much moving towards following what is calling you and making it happen vs waiting for that someday that your prince comes. Then again, maybe a bit more magic in our lives wouldn't be the worst thing

And I'm trying not to be very trip-reporty...but a comment or two on Pandora. We loved FOP - so much fun!!! The land itself IS impressive, but there was something off about it. I thought about it a lot, and I think that the "Pandoran" flora needs more movement. It's all very static, for example, if a breeze blows, they don't move. I kinda felt like I was walking through a set.

As much as I loved Pandora I actually really do agree with this - especially it felt like prior to the land opening they promoted a much more interactive environment than what the final product is. Also, those creatures in the bond that spit water ... other than spitting they seem very static - I think they should have had more movement as well.

I do think with any show, it takes time for it to build that feeling. I did like wishes but I didn't see it every year like some did so no emotional connection there for me on that show. This one I'm likely to create one over time. And you're right, there is a tonal shift but I think that's a positive, go get what you want vs hope it comes true.

I do think with any show, it takes time for it to build that feeling. I did like wishes but I didn't see it every year like some did so no emotional connection there for me on that show. This one I'm likely to create one over time. And you're right, there is a tonal shift but I think that's a positive, go get what you want vs hope it comes true.

As is probably obvious now, my emotional connection was more about the fantasy of making wishes and having them come true (plus a lot of nostalgia with Jiminy Cricket), not necessarily the number of times I saw the show. I think the Wishes song was full of emotion vs. the new one being more inspirational, and it didn't hurt that Wishes had the child (or child-like?) voices singing. As I type, I think that maybe it was about reconnecting to the innocence of childhood when Santa and the tooth fairy were real (spoiler alert!) and wishes could come true!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter