News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Best line from the article: "Unfortunately, it doesn’t appear that this will make the busses actually come when they’re scheduled."

Overall, I really like this in that it can tell you if you are trying to get down to the bus in the morning how much time you have...IF it was actually remotely accurate, which in my experience the times seem to change constantly. What would be even better is if they included the buses back to the resorts.

On my recent trip to Disneyland Resort, I took Super Shuttle from LAX to my hotel in Anaheim. What I found useful was seeing the actual location of the vehicle and watching its progress to the pick up locations. I also could tell the estimated time for arrival.

I doubt that this could be added to the MDE app since there would be many vehicles listed and trying to sort through the correct ones would be challenging. But if they could allow you to filter based on resort and/or theme park, then I could see where this could be useful.

On my recent trip to Disneyland Resort, I took Super Shuttle from LAX to my hotel in Anaheim. What I found useful was seeing the actual location of the vehicle and watching its progress to the pick up locations. I also could tell the estimated time for arrival.

I doubt that this could be added to the MDE app since there would be many vehicles listed and trying to sort through the correct ones would be challenging. But if they could allow you to filter based on resort and/or theme park, then I could see where this could be useful.

What's odd is in using the Lyft App on site - you could do the exact same thing - track your vehicles location. Both when getting a Minnie Van and with a regular lyft driver. Why can't they do the same thing with the buses - this is what I don't understand? They should be tracking every bus via GPS. Once a bus is assigned for pick-up at a resort or park, it gets flagged in the system. You can then go on and select "From CBR" "To MK" and then it would show your bus. Doesn't seem to me like the system works well enough to do this...but we'll see.

What's odd is in using the Lyft App on site - you could do the exact same thing - track your vehicles location. Both when getting a Minnie Van and with a regular lyft driver. Why can't they do the same thing with the buses - this is what I don't understand? They should be tracking every bus via GPS. Once a bus is assigned for pick-up at a resort or park, it gets flagged in the system. You can then go on and select "From CBR" "To MK" and then it would show your bus. Doesn't seem to me like the system works well enough to do this...but we'll see.

Because the people who designed the Lyft app were programmers starting with a singular goal in mind and the people in Disney IT spend all their time applying bandaids and patches to an assortment of software that has been integrated into what passes for a modern app but has the underpinnings of a variety of legacy systems and languages stretching back 40 years...

My college bus system had this back in 2005 - you could open a map and see where every bus on campus was. It's a much smaller system than Disney, but something similar should be possible.

Just returned from a short trip to The World last weekend and I'm finally caught up on this thread. I thought there was like a 1% chance the UP! Bird Show might soft open while we were there, and it looks like we missed it by one day.

I already posted a trip report, but wanted to share with those in this thread since you are the people I interact with daily. I got engaged Friday night during the Ferrytale Fireworks Cruise. You can see pictures and read the trip report in my signature below if you like.

I have to say, for all the complaining we do on here about prices and things Disney is cutting out, they still find ways to surprise me and show me why we continue to go back again and again. They went above and beyond to make the experience more than I could have hoped it would be.

Based on the description alone, probably some geo-location based mobile games. Maybe with an AR component?

yeah, the part that jumps out at me is "With the touch of a button, wait time turns into play time with family and friends at certain locations." - so seems like something you can do to pass the time while in line for rides ... so maybe it points out hidden mickeys or things to find int he queue or trivia about the ride - but maybe some simple AR stuff too that brings elements of the queue to life or something

This is the type of thing they talked about when they first introduced MDE — usage around the parks in interactive ways. They’re just finally getting to it!
I think they have tried previously (things like small world screens) and learned ways how to do this right.

For a class last year I wrote a 20 page paper (yes I am crazy) on the applications of phones/apps in theme parks specifically something like My Disney Experience. Obviously this is the first announcement of this new thing but if it is what it sounds like it is exactly what I wanted in my paper. If I am waiting in a queue instead of scrolling through Facebook or playing Heads Up I should be looking at the details and experiencing what the imagineers gave us. People are way too wrapped up in their devices these days myself included. Putting the experience and technology together helps enhance the entire thing. I could be searching for a specific detail in a queue or within a land and when I find that it unlocks something else or causes an effect to go off, etc. The opportunities for this are endless and our technology/smart phones aren't going away anytime soon.

yeah, the part that jumps out at me is "With the touch of a button, wait time turns into play time with family and friends at certain locations." - so seems like something you can do to pass the time while in line for rides ... so maybe it points out hidden mickeys or things to find int he queue or trivia about the ride - but maybe some simple AR stuff too that brings elements of the queue to life or something

Yeah I took the play time as something that could be a game but it could be as simple as that as well. With how trendy AR is right now, I figured maybe they would try to make something happen with that. Just speculating of course!

Just returned from a short trip to The World last weekend and I'm finally caught up on this thread. I thought there was like a 1% chance the UP! Bird Show might soft open while we were there, and it looks like we missed it by one day.

I already posted a trip report, but wanted to share with those in this thread since you are the people I interact with daily. I got engaged Friday night during the Ferrytale Fireworks Cruise. You can see pictures and read the trip report in my signature below if you like.

I have to say, for all the complaining we do on here about prices and things Disney is cutting out, they still find ways to surprise me and show me why we continue to go back again and again. They went above and beyond to make the experience more than I could have hoped it would be.

Thanks for sharing and congratulations! I totally get what you are saying about the things we complain about and the prices and the crowds and everything - but when you are there, always a few things happen that hit you and you think "this is why we go through all the efforts and pay the money we do, etc." .... as a parent it usually involves the look on my kids faces during something unexpected

Yeah I took the play time as something that could be a game but it could be as simple as that as well. With how trendy AR is right now, I figured maybe they would try to make something happen with that. Just speculating of course!

I thought some sort of game as well... first thing I thought of was all the people that play "heads up" while in line - so something like that to help people pass time

In the end, they still produce a wonderful vacation. I can't speak for everyone, but I probably appear to complain on here more than my actual level of complaining. Most of the things I complain about (the hard ticket events that are so overpriced) I just avoid, so they don't affect my actual vacation.

I'm thinking some of the Pokémon Go AR technology will be used here. The article doesn't give to much info but I'm excited to try it out and see exactly what it is.

I was thinking something like this too. Imagine something like Pokemon Go that would gets kid (and some adults) more interested in just wandering around the park than in actually riding the rides. (World Showcase adventure is similar, but with a greater on-line component.)

I think they have tried previously (things like small world screens) and learned ways how to do this right.

For a class last year I wrote a 20 page paper (yes I am crazy) on the applications of phones/apps in theme parks specifically something like My Disney Experience. Obviously this is the first announcement of this new thing but if it is what it sounds like it is exactly what I wanted in my paper. If I am waiting in a queue instead of scrolling through Facebook or playing Heads Up I should be looking at the details and experiencing what the imagineers gave us. People are way too wrapped up in their devices these days myself included. Putting the experience and technology together helps enhance the entire thing. I could be searching for a specific detail in a queue or within a land and when I find that it unlocks something else or causes an effect to go off, etc. The opportunities for this are endless and our technology/smart phones aren't going away anytime soon.

Nah that's not crazy at all. A friend (who now works at an AR tech company) wrote his graduate thesis on World of Warcraft and digital media many years ago. It makes sense considering that's mixing something you're passionate about with real world application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter