News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of the anger came because he said he had complete freedom over the story. People got angry that they clearly had no plans on where they were going, him and Kathleen are just the easiest targets.
Interesting. I still blame Kathleen most (I’m not her biggest fan obviously) because I’m sure that they had to clear everything he came up with I’m sure

I guess my thing with Rian is that he’s working with a story that’s already been laid out for him. I feel like so much of TLJ hate has been directed at him that should be directed at lucasfilms upper management

But he never followed the story that was laid out for him.

The main point of FA was a search for Luke as a mythical hope. He's starts the TLJ with he's not interested, and barely helps the whole movie-and then kills him. Why spend a whole movie looking for him then.

Capitalize on the loss of Han Solo, those are rare chances-Luke didn't care at all.

The FA builds up the power and mystique of Anakan/Vader and Luke's lost light saber-he tosses it.

TLD doesn't build on Phasma-kills her with no story, Snoke-kills him with no story, even Rey waste scenes finding she is nobody.

Rey doesn't grow at all.

Kylo has to crush his "ridiculous" mask, and now is a weak regular man as the main villain left.

Agree upper management indeed let TLD proceed with a green light.

But they do have to think about staggering these films a bit

I agree with this.

I just think there's more to this than "too soon" after the TLD for Solo. (EX Infinity War 3 months after B Panther does $2 Billion)

If they had simply followed a yearly Dec release (instead of Solo on a 1/2 year), Solo would have done $1 Billion like R1?

I really don't think so.

But let's argue it would have. Then why stop releasing standalones?

If it was simply a timing issue-why not just go back to fewer releases per year, not kill all of them.

But he never followed the story that was laid out for him.

The main point of FA was a search for Luke as a mythical hope. He's starts the TLJ with he's not interested, and barely helps the whole movie-and then kills him. Why spend a whole movie looking for him then.

Capitalize on the loss of Han Solo, those are rare chances-Luke didn't care at all.

The FA builds up the power and mystique of Anakan/Vader and Luke's lost light saber-he tosses it.

TLD doesn't build on Phasma-kills her with no story, Snoke-kills him with no story, even Rey waste scenes finding she is nobody.

Rey doesn't grow at all.

Kylo has to crush his "ridiculous" mask, and now is a weak regular man as the main villain left.

Agree upper management indeed let TLD proceed with a green light.
Yeah you can definitely distribute the blame all around. I personally liked TLJ but I get why it’s so controversial.

I’m glad they’re taking a step back with their release schedule though. It’s probably a bit of an overcorrection but I’d rather they be cautious with this franchise than careless

I agree with this.

I just think there's more to this than "too soon" after the TLD for Solo. (EX Infinity War 3 months after B Panther does $2 Billion)

If they had simply followed a yearly Dec release (instead of Solo on a 1/2 year), Solo would have done $1 Billion like R1?

I really don't think so.

But let's argue it would have. Then why stop releasing standalones?

If it was simply a timing issue-why not just go back to fewer releases per year, not kill all of them.

Because I have a feeling they wanted to keep the standalone films as a May thing, and keep the 'main story' a December thing. And therein lies the problem of having so many IPs and trying to grind out multiple films for each, there's too much overlap and it makes all the films suffer. Just look at next year, with A4 coming just 8 weeks after Captain Marvel.

I guess my thing with Rian is that he’s working with a story that’s already been laid out for him. I feel like so much of TLJ hate has been directed at him that should be directed at lucasfilms upper management
Funny -- I was literally JUST talking to my kids about this!

I'm not sure I agree. As a filmmaker, making a movie in a series, I think he has a responsibility to make a movie that FITS within it. He really didn't. I think that's what he is legitimately tarred with.

NEWS

Disney announced Ultimate Fall into Magic Package

http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories...agic-package-with-exclusive-fall-experiences/

Interesting as it is a very set itinerary:
Sample pricing: family of four – 2 adults, 1 junior (ages 10 to 17) and 1 child (ages 3 to 9) – can stay in a standard room at Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort and enjoy this offer for a total package price of $2,980

Not too bad considering it comes with the exclusive access to Toy Story Land and the Halloween Party

obviously the time frame would make it tough for many families - that is the first week of school in my area

There's some weird spacing going on between the O and R in "WORLD".

Yeah, that's called "kerning" in the graphic design/page layout world. The O has more negative space around it, so usually one would tighten up the space around the O so it doesn't look like it's too far away from the W and R. Most page layout programs do this automatically. For some reason, some designer decided to space the letters out in this fashion. It does look a little odd.

There's some weird spacing going on between the O and R in "WORLD".

Yeah, that's called "kerning" in the graphic design/page layout world. The O has more negative space around it, so usually one would tighten up the space around the O so it doesn't look like it's too far away from the W and R. Most page layout programs do this automatically. For some reason, some designer decided to space the letters out in this fashion. It does look a little odd.

I actually think the odd spacing is between the W and the O ... as if you look at the closest points between the O and R it looks pretty similar tot he same between the R and L or the L and the D ... but the W the closest spot (which is the very top of the right "arm" of the W) looks too close to the closest spot (midpoint) of the O

It's like because of the slope to the arm of the W they moved it closer to the O .... like @Grand Admiral says with the kerning, it's like they did tighten up the W and the O but not the O and the R

Yup, I do it for a living :P

I'd like to see an Obi-wan film with Ewan McGregor. Beyond that I'm kind of meh.

They do cover a bit of what Obi Wan did in between episodes III and IV in books ... I'd rather see a film more focused on Qui-Gon that features when he took on Obi Wan and stuff like that

Ugh...more Star Wars debate:

I am less apt to blame Rian Johnson for the situation they are in and blame the "brain trust". He wanted to go off in a different direction from the standard tropes - a direction which angered a lot of fans. However, Lucasfilm told him to go for it. While I really liked TLJ, but I agree that from an overarching story-telling perspective, the lack of cohesion from film to film is a major problem. For how terrible the prequels are - they are at least telling a whole single story. The fact that JJ Abrams set up plot points that then got ignored or shot down in the sequel is not good storytelling when you are trying to make a third movie in the story.

Not surprisingly - Lucasfilm has to be really nervous right now about how to right the ship.

Yeah you can definitely distribute the blame all around. I personally liked TLJ but I get why it’s so controversial.

I’m glad they’re taking a step back with their release schedule though. It’s probably a bit of an overcorrection but I’d rather they be cautious with this franchise than careless

I thought The Last Jedi was very good. I'm disappointed with the report that they might be giving up on more "visionary" directors. Edwards and Johnson were the main draws I had to these new series of movies. I hope they do still let Johnson and the Game of Thrones guys put together their series. More derivative Abrams work is a total turn off for me. I realize I'm in the minority on this, though.

Last edited:
NEWS

Disney announced Ultimate Fall into Magic Package

http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories...agic-package-with-exclusive-fall-experiences/

Interesting as it is a very set itinerary:
Sample pricing: family of four – 2 adults, 1 junior (ages 10 to 17) and 1 child (ages 3 to 9) – can stay in a standard room at Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort and enjoy this offer for a total package price of $2,980

Not too bad considering it comes with the exclusive access to Toy Story Land and the Halloween Party

obviously the time frame would make it tough for many families - that is the first week of school in my area

Yes, very interesting, I'm wondering if Disney is doing this now as a first trial-run to see what works and what doesn't in preparation for all-inclusive packages with the SW hotel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter