Next Year's Camper (maybe) and more!

ilovedisneymm

DIS Veteran
Hello, Happy Campers!

I hope everyone's summer is going well. This is the time of year I need to book all our dining reservations.
I also find myself looking at larger campers for future Disney trips. We have been fortunate enough to have had three camping trips this summer (we have never taken little summer vacations before). And have a couple little trips planned over the next few weeks before harvest starts. We love the upgrade from our tents to our little camper. LOVE LOVE not having to stay in a hotel!

Anyone remember that meme floating around facebook a few months ago describing camping life?

It was a tent the first year.
A small pop up the next year.
A 40 ft fifth wheel the third.

FUNNY! Funny cause it's accurate for many too!

Well on our way home from our last trip we saw three in a row of these lovely campers cruising down the interstate. Likely on their way to a dealership. I'm not a fan of heavy graphics, plain and simple for me, please. This one has the perfect amount.

So once home I did some searching and found a floor plan I could live with. Kidding. I'm in love with! I'm very pleased with this one because not only are the graphics on the exterior minimal, the interior is plain and simple too. I am head over heels for the washer and dryer and the extra size closet is just what I need. Our current 30 ft camper is really great and we have only had it a year now, but I think this time next year we will be upgrading.

I use to think an RV (driver) would be our long-term camper, but after comparing our old driver to pulling the bumper hitch with the camper, I much prefer the bumper hitch. Yes, I want to strangle the kids after a few hours, but I feel much safer seeing my beautiful little monsters safely in their seatbelts and riding in a big old duly truck. In the old driver, they were always up and walking around.

A few years back, we made the drive to Elkhart IN with cashier's check in hand. 5 hours from home one way and were sadly disappointed in the quality. That was from another company and model. We're thinking about making a trip over if time allows before harvest and if all goes well, next year we will be upgrading to this or something similar.

If anyone has any reviews or owns this brand, I would love to hear from you.

They're made by Recreation By Design. This particular one is 44ft. I know that is extra long, but hubby has a great deal of experience in hauling oversized farm machinery cross country. Think combine in the dark through Atlanta crazy. This length would not be an issue. The fitting into campsites, maybe???

Also, I made some new dining reservation to try out. Boma over at AK Lodge for breakfast brunch and Beaches and Cream for burgers and a kitchen sink.

In addition, what is with the crazy new Park Hopper prices? $70 - $75 for the hopper now? I thought it was like $40 or $50 a few trips back. Maybe I just didn't pay attention. We were thinking of just doing 5 day tickets and hopper, but with the hopper price, we might as well do 10 day without. I think it was only about $20 more. Don't quote me here. We are staying fot two full weeks.

Floor plan is the exact one were thinking about. The images are from another floor plan, but almost the same.

Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 1.56.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-27 at 7.37.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 4.42.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 4.43.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 4.43.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 4.42.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 4.42.33 PM.png

Geeze Louise, Melissa!

That's a big 'un but it sure is beautiful inside. I have no doubt your DH could handle driving it and understand your reasons for the bumper pull and keeping the kids' butts-in-seats.

Just check on any place you MIGHT think about camping at to see if the trailer plus tow vehicle length can be accomodated.

Plus if you start down through the 300 Loop at the Fort with that in tow, it might get tight even for your DH. :drive:

But it reminds me of a movie I can relate to:

51GQCVYTDML.jpg

:worship:

Bama Ed

PS - I know you're not a redhead, but still..... :rolleyes1

Got the bug! That is a really nice trailer. 44 ft for a bumper pull is getting pretty long. If your dually is like mine, it has a class 6 hitch and can carry over 1,000 lbs of tongue weight though. I agree with you about long trailers. The race trailer was a 48 ft gooseneck. The new 5er is 42. They both tow about the same. I don't have to swing quite as wide with the 5er. That's about it.

I haven't heard of Recreation by Design. Looks like they have been around for a while.

j

Wow, when you go big, you go big!!!! :scared:
Very nice!! Just aren't envious getting into campgrounds/sites, or any gas station beyond truck stops. Not to mention maneuvering/turning corners anywhere beyond Interstates - sometimes hard to find parking at restaurants for our 34' RV.

But, one thing, you will have it 'all' with you!! :)

Last edited:
Hoping to find someone who has this brand, and I can compare the quality to a few other brands we know we won't be going with. I'm sure its going to come down to taking the drive over and just viewing them in a variety of floor plans.

While going over the website, hubby noted the ones posted are their standard floor plans, they can build them or modify them to a custom floor plan. If that is the case, I want to make the pullout table and chairs stationary like a regular dinette. I also want the front
bunkhouse to slide on both sides. Our friends have a Salem with a bunkhouse that slides on both sides, it literally is the size of a normal bedroom when both slide.

I'm not thrilled on the 44 ft. I'm worried we would run into problems fitting into sites. I would be happy with that same floor plan in a shorter version too.

Hey camper builders, I like it all, but shrink it all in a little will ya. This is likely not an option :)

I am literally lauging out loud right now because we are that meme!
Tent to Popup and have been scouring the net for a travel trailer to simplify our camping AND because I keep telling my hubs about you guys upgrading from tents and that you "camped" in the Walmart lots on your way to the Fort. I popped on here to lament that I don't want to take our popup to Disney, I want to get a TT but it is not in the budget right now and saw this post haha.

We are looking the other way though, the SMALLEST camper we can logically fit everyone into...something with double bunks and a murphy bed, no slides, OR one of those with the slide out bed and quad bunks in the back.
But we will also be paying cash, so we can't be nearly as picky.

That is a beast of a camper-it looks like a roadschooler dream!

I will say I like the metal side, we had a Sunline metal side, bought a Prowler fiberglass and DH hated it, leaked after the 1st year no matter what he tried. We have a Puma metal side again, dh said no more fiberglass unless it's a diesel pusher,
Camper looks great, but as others have said, that's going to be tricky in tighter spots.

DH has to watch the tail whip while navigating tight loops, with a dually (mine is 23') you've got to pushing 70'. After our 30' TT we moved up to a fifth wheel, much better control when a semi blows by you, no more white knuckles. Nice trailer though, love the layout, the bunk house room is great, we had one years ago, after a long day in the parks, the kids locked themselves in their room and we had the rest of the house to ourselves...heaven, never gonna find that in a hotel!! Have fun

Wow, with that and a dually you might be longer than we are. Campsites depending are tough at that length. Does the 44 foot measurement include the front A frame ? I know on our small TT they did not and that made us feet longer than the stated length of the camper. Nice layout. She has the bug....best of luck with the decision and enjoy camping as much as possible.

Denise - I'm not sure the weight. Weight won't be an issue for his truck.

@Ds4angels I have heard of people not loving their fiberglass. I like the look of the metal even though the camper salespeople like to say that its "lower end models that have that these days". Whatever. I like it.
@PaHunter I asked in my email and it is from the A frame. So I assume I can subtract 3 feet for actual camper size.

@rideswithchrist the only time I like Walmart is when we're camping. In fact, I love camping in their parking lots. HAHAAHA! Seriously, you can wake up early and go stock up on supplies before everyone else does. If the baby is sick and needs a suction things at midnight, you can send hubby in to fetch what you need. This last trip, we stopped an hour away from our destination and picked up all the groceries we needed for the trip. I rode in the back and put them all away and just as I was finishing up, we were there :)
This was so handy dandy cause I didn't have to make an extra long grocery hall the night before. It saved time and my sanity. It saves a great deal of $$$ to when you need a place to stay and rest for 12 hours.

Now a generator makes camping in their parking lots comfortable. I can cook, run the air, watch tv all while hanging in the parking lot. I couldn't do all that running off the battery in the camper alone.

I called and received a quote from them yesterday and was very surprised to know they make and sell them right there in the same location. They have been around for 20 or so years and mainly do custom trailers for full-time RVers.

Everything is custom done. So we can basically go over and pick and choose what we want and where we want it. EVERYTHING is customizable.

Hubby wants to add a generator into the build so we won't have to load up our house one onto the back of the truck for Disney trips.

A large piece of farm equipment sold yesterday. We have had it advertised for sale for 2 plus years now. I was just looking at it Saturday as all the weeds were growing up around it and thinking to myself this darn thing will never sell. If only it would, I would go buy me a new camper.

A miracle indeed. A gentleman pulled into the lane yesterday while hubby was loading hay and bought it.

Now to convince hubby to use that money for the camper.

My selling pitch is to him, we're going to get a bigger camper within the next year or two, why not just do it now :)

Yay for that sale! It was meant to be!!! The Lord provided :p
Besides, you need to get some practice in before hauling it to the fort.

Denise - I'm not sure the weight. Weight won't be an issue for his truck.
Ok, I was wondering for us. When we retire maybe we will full time. I like the idea of customizing. We had a metal sided camper, liked it just fine. But man it did not like the hail storm that got it in 2006. It was just under the point of being totaled by the insurance company.

I will ask on the next conversation I have with the salesman and let you know.

If you google Recreation Grand By Design their site will come up and they have lots of floor plans to choose from.

The salesman told me yesterday most of their clients are fulltimers and most the ones they build are sit down and custom design to your specifications.

I’m actually pretty satisfied with their pricing. I mean I didn’t fall out of my chair when I got the price so that’s good. I think.

Melissa,

Woozers, you have nice hopes and dreams. I know you will figure this decision that best fits your family. Wondering, as you like to haul your golf cart, kids bikes, and like me, lots more, have you ever considered a fifth-wheel toy hauler? We recently purchased one this summer, and when we camp with family at our “farm campground”, we have extra littles. We put down the zero gravity ramp, put the railing around, the screen closes for bugs, and voila, we have two queen bunks. Room for a combo washer dryer, and some even have a bathroom for the garage. Our model did not. Living room with two slides, kitchen, free standing table, and another bath for Mom and dad, and ours has a king bed. Or, if it is just us, we recently hauled our 900 Polaris Crew Cab up north, and had five days of rangering UTV) “up nort” in Wisconsin. We have a roll of carpet that goes down once our toy is out. We love our 13’ garage. We find the fifth wheel hauls easier than a trailer.

Good luck, and you will make the best decision for your family. Hope your summer has been fun. Our guys are looking at beginning to chop corn for our dairy cows. We use silage bags, and it is a long slow process.

Blessings to you and your family. I was not sure if I mentioned this to you, but John Ruf, the owner of Ruf’s Farm Service had passed away.

Barb & Bill

Greetings, Barb!

Wonderful to hear how much fun you and the family have with the toy hauler. I do like the look of a bumper hitch and if we can always add the generator and golf cart in the back of the truck. With the three kids always with us and the oldest and her boyfriend (sometimes), we need all the living space we can get.

We will begin Silage in about two weeks. I say "we" like I have something to do with it. Hahahaha. We just fill one silo and takes about three days. They use a 1978 White 2155 pulling a Gehl two row chopper with badger wagons. Hubby says if you want to take a step back in time, he'll give ya hand :)

Honestly, I'm hoping silage is at least two weeks out. I really need hubby to finish up several projects on the house before things get going off the homestead.

Daniel said he didn't know that. They were good people.

Good luck on the slow-go silage!

This last trip, we stopped an hour away from our destination and picked up all the groceries we needed for the trip. I rode in the back and put them all away and just as I was finishing up, we were there :)

Yikes, did you know this is not safe, nor legal with a bumper pull!! :scared1: With certain conditions met, it is allowed with 5th wheels, but I personally wouldn't feel good with that either.

What a beautiful RV. Our 5th wheel is 39 ft but DH states it hauls better than either of our TT. We have a bunkhouse with double slides and the space is wonderful. Now that the kids are grown and haven’t all been camping with us for the last three years, the space seems wasted. The only changes I would have made to our 5th wheel when all three kids were camping with us would be a washer/dryer and a free standing dinette or a dinette with a U-shaped seating.
Sounds exciting to be looking for a new unit. I expect we will be in the market again in the next couple of years.

While its one long TAG, its really just getting yourself setup right and being aware of the length. I will say that something like that will be limited at the campgrounds. I think premium sites would be find 90% of the time, but preferred will be severly hit or miss. Even with a 40' 5th wheel preferred loop sites are really tight in some cases and in preferred there is no chance my truck can stay on site and I take it down to overflow. In the premium sites you have more room.

If you are hauling a golf cart, bikes, etc. Have you looked at some of the lighter toy haulers? A friend just bought one that can handle 4 kids and 2 adults, the toy area is air conditioned and its a 1.5 bath unit. its a 40' 4th wheel and only dual axle.

@Boomer1

We would love to have a bunkhouse with double slide in front. One of the options would be to make both sides slide. It is an additional $4,000 so we need to really think about that one. We have yet to make the trip over to see their units. This may be an after harvest tour.

You never know, Boomer. We need a bunkhouse with a double slide.....you are looking to possibly downsize. We all could roll into the fort in January with one trailer and roll out with another. hahahaha! Just kidding.

Yes, the washer and dryer would be a dream to have in the camper.

@jbrostek we are now looking at the 42 ft floor plan and that measurements include the hitch. So I can take 3 feet off, I assume for that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!