NEXUS questions

do you need another interview to renew? Just wondering as a current card holder.

From what I have read, they can bring you in for an interview. Not sure what it’s based on, perhaps random selection. In our case, three of us were not required to go for the interview. My husband will be renewing his in a couple of months. Hopefully it goes as smoothly for him.

If I remember correctly, the website says that you will be required to go for an interview when you renew. We all assumed we had to go but then we were pleasantly surprised when we received notice that our renewal was accepted. We received our cards shortly after the acceptance notice.

Last edited:
do you need another interview to renew? Just wondering as a current card holder.

DH and I renewed at the same time. I was just sent my card but DH had to set up an interview for a few weeks after I got it. Ninety minutes to drive there, 2 minutes "interview". I think it may be random.

DH and I renewed at the same time. I was just sent my card but DH had to set up an interview for a few weeks after I got it. Ninety minutes to drive there, 2 minutes "interview". I think it may be random.

I suspect it is both random and flagged. My aunt, uncle, and I all renewed about the same time but only I had an interview. I had moved countries twice since my first NEXUS, had added/removed multiple visas from my NEXUS, and had 20+ countries on my "countries visited in the last five years" list, including a few that were flagged for questioning by the US agent when I went for my interview. I was NOT surprised that I got an interview :)

I didn’t need an interview but DS will. We were told that pretty much any child will need an interview since their faces change so much.

I didn’t need an interview but DS will. We were told that pretty much any child will need an interview since their faces change so much.
Yeah, I wondered about that. We've got three kids, haha. Guess we'll plan on needing the interviews!

We’ve had to go in for both of my children to renew so they could get a picture taken. My son was out 3 months old in his last picture so he changed a lot since then!!!

Do they need to repeat your iris scan if you need another picture at renewal? Only certain locations do the iris scan so it would be nice if this did not have to be done again.

Do they need to repeat your iris scan if you need another picture at renewal? Only certain locations do the iris scan so it would be nice if this did not have to be done again.
I’m not sure but the iris scan is not mandatory at all. I know because my husband refused it for our daughter and none of the rest of us have it (We normally get it in Port Huron which maybe doesn’t offer it but we renewed my daughter’s in Fort Erie because we were driving through there and that was the only time we have been asked about it).

I’m not sure but the iris scan is not mandatory at all. I know because my husband refused it for our daughter and none of the rest of us have it (We normally get it in Port Huron which maybe doesn’t offer it but we renewed my daughter’s in Fort Erie because we were driving through there and that was the only time we have been asked about it).

I believe that it is mandatory for air travel. Though it is being replaced by facial recongnition.

I believe that it is mandatory for air travel. Though it is being replaced by facial recongnition.
Possibly! We almost always drive across the border. I think we used Nexus at the Vancouver airport on our way to Hawaii but that was a few years ago and we didn’t need it then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!