Nightmare Before Christmas Haunted Mansion

Formativeyears

Earning My Ears
Last weekend I experienced the Nightmare Before Christmas "Overlay" at the Haunted Mansion at DL. While I enjoyed it for what it was and was impressed at the obvious level work that went into it, I still wish they would just leave the Haunted Mansion alone. My boyfriend and I had been planning a trip to Disneyland for six months and he hadn't been there in nearly 30 years. October was the only month that we could go and he was distraught when he realized that nearly every signature part of the Haunted Mansion had been removed or obscured. I certainly understand Disney's rationale behind the overlay and I know that it is a nice change of pace for annual pass holders, but for those of us who can only go to Disneyland during the Fall and Holiday Season and who have to spend a lot of money and time off of work to do so, it would be nice if we could experience the "classic" rides in their original form. I know that Disney can't please everyone all the time, but those are my thoughts.

You may be getting your wish.

-----

Although I love the Haunted Mansion Holiday, I do understand your point. I think us local folk sometimes take it for granted, and we see it as something New/different/fun...I personally am a big sucker for the exterior changes, and pumpkin king fun.

However, this is shaping up to be the last year for Nightmare Holiday.

They have had to get Burton's request each year, and now, he's thinking about denying them for next year. (he retains all nightmare rights).

I think that it's had a good run, and won't be horrified to see it go. Instead, I'll feel like I got to be there at a special time, and will be able to look back on it fondly.

I sincerely hope your trip wasn't too bad, and maybe you can make it again in the coming year, when the mansion is back to it's good old grim and ghoolish self.
-much love.
-Tina. :cloud9:

Oh the trip was fabulous... the Haunted Mansion thing (and the fact that Star Tours gave my bf motion sickness) were the only flaws. Don't get me wrong though, we both did enjoy the Haunted Mansion. We were just disappointed to not see it in its "true" form. :)

We've only been to Disneyland once, in December, so we also got the Holiday makeover.

We loved it, but it has left us wondering what the original was like and whether we got the better ride.

I can see why Disney does this, as the holiday makeovers effectively create new rides, and no doubt drag a lot of locals in to the park to experience the difference, but I can also see how it's a disappointment for those who miss the original.

I was in the original ride at The Haunted Mansion a year or so ago and the ride stopped! Right in the corridor with all the doors banging and the knobs turning. Then, it started again and landed me right in front of ... (The talking head in the glass globe...what's her name?) and oh my gosh, I was terrified.
Well, I was cool at first but when you are sitting in that corridor with the music and the works... you start having to say, thisisjustaride, thisisjustaride. :earboy2:

It is a great ride without any accoutrements but I did enjoy the Nightmare version too. I just love everything there. :flower:

I had a similar thought last weekend! We LOVE the HM decked out for Nightmare, but we are AP holders. If we went to DL on a once-in-a-lifetime-couldn't-wait-to-see-the-HM trip, I might be disappointed, as well.

In both it's forms, it is IMHO what Disney does best.

I was very excited to see the overlay, because I had heard many good things, but I was very disappointed with it. Seeing it once was more than enough for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter