Nightmare booking experience yesterday

vwlfan

DIS Veteran
I have been reading re member service booking problems but have never had less than impeccable service over the years. That was until yesterday. It was the first day of my UY and I wanted to book BC for Epcot on the Fourth and spend a few days at BR. I had originally booked Copper Creek at the 11 month window. Unfortunately the advisor was having computer problems and was getting very inaccurate advice from her supervisor. They couldn’t get my points straight and then shortened my booking without telling me. After being on hold three times, the last for re 20 minutes, I was disconnected! And couldn’t be sure any of my requests were processed.

That took another half hour to get another advisor on the phone. Happily she straightened the whole mess out in ten minutes. Thank you Ladi!

So all’s we’ll that ends well and I can happily tolerate the fact that even DVC makes mistakes.

We only contact MS when we have to, booking online has reduced our reservation errors. On a side note you don't need to wait for your UY, you need to have points available for your reservation dates, not when you make the reservation.

:earsboy: Bill

Actually I also experienced booking problems yesterday, but this was online. I then called in and the CM she couldn't even change or cancel my specific booking which I was walking. She called IT and so on and they couldn't fix it either. They had to raise a ticket of the sort to their backend IT.

the CM did however promise me that they would hold a room for my specific dates - so I hope they do.

We only contact MS when we have to, booking online has reduced our reservation errors. On a side note you don't need to wait for your UY, you need to have points available for your reservation dates, not when you make the reservation.

:earsboy: Bill
Thanks I never understand that point re UY.

Actually I also experienced booking problems yesterday, but this was online. I then called in and the CM she couldn't even change or cancel my specific booking which I was walking. She called IT and so on and they couldn't fix it either. They had to raise a ticket of the sort to their backend IT.

the CM did however promise me that they would hold a room for my specific dates - so I hope they do.

Wow that sounds so similar to my plight. I hope it works out.

Oh no sorry to hear of the issue but glad it worked out! I've had issues in the past with the DVC and MDE sites but when I call in they are always able to help out!

I know they mentioned this to you, but I just want to reiterate that most people put too much emphasis on the Use Year, when the Use Year is not that important. Really. The Use Year is most beneficial for telling you when your old points need to be banked, or when they expire. It has nothing to do with booking at the 11 month or 7 month window, or ANY window, EXCEPT that you must have adequate points for the reservation in the Use Year when the reservation will take place. You get those adequate points by Banking into that Use Year, Borrowing from the next use year, or just using the points that automatically come in that use year.

In other words, if my new Use Year started on December 1st, that makes it the December 2018 Use Year. If it starts on February 1st, that would make it the February 2019 Use year. But, in both cases, I could use it to make reservations for next October 1019 or November (at the Home Resort). Even though December 1st was in 2018, and February 1st is 2 months off, in 2019.

My points for the next Use Year will automatically be available in the 2018 or 2019 Use Year (depending on the month that it starts). So I can book NOW, and make the Reservation for THEN. I DO NOT need to wait until the start of the Use Year to use them.

Last edited:
Thanks I never understand that point re UY.

So it was just luck that you were actually booking at the 7 month window? Because early July is 7 months from now and when you could make the switch. When you can book is always based on the calendar - up to 11 months from check in at your home resort and up to 7 months from check in at a non-home resort.

UY comes into play just in determining what points can be used for the reservation and is based on the date of your stay. So it sounds like you have a Dec UY. For a July 2019 stay you could use banked Dec 2017 points, current points which would be 2018 for the Dec UY (valid for stays from 12/1/18-11/30/19) or you could borrow from the Dec 2019 UY which otherwise would be valid for stays from 12/1/19-11/30/20 but if borrowed they would be moved back to the Dec 2018 UY and thus valid for stays anytime from 12/1/18-11/30/19. But the booking window was always early August for the July home resort or early December for non-home resort. If for example you had planned an early June trip then it would have been bookable at your home resort in early July of the previous year or in early November for a non-home resort and it would have been using the same UY of points as the July stay is.

So it was just luck that you were actually booking at the 7 month window? Because early July is 7 months from now and when you could make the switch. When you can book is always based on the calendar - up to 11 months from check in at your home resort and up to 7 months from check in at a non-home resort.

I noticed that, too. It’s possible the OP understands it more than he knows. Or it was coincidence. :)

So in my 15 years as a dvc member I've never booked online, always called member services. Always book at 11months, call at 7 to move my res, and have never had a problem. Actually prefer to talk to a person then trust myself on a computer. Maybe I've been lucky.

I have only been a member for a year. I can’t imagine having to call in to book or change most things. It’s 2018 what industry does not have a online booking tool, crazy it took them this long from what I gather.

I have only been a member for a year. I can’t imagine having to call in to book or change most things. It’s 2018 what industry does not have a online booking tool, crazy it took them this long from what I gather.

It's been around for several years now but yes, it was over due by the time it started. The amazing thing though is how they keep breaking it anytime they update.

It's been around for several years now but yes, it was over due by the time it started. The amazing thing though is how they keep breaking it anytime they update.

Online booking has been undergoing "magic" for the last two mornings...down for 3-4 hours yesterday and is down again this morning. Disney IT really is awful.

Just reached them via phone and Member Services can't book. They said 'call back later' but they don't have a time to give us.

Just reached them via phone and Member Services can't book. They said 'call back later' but they don't have a time to give us.
I was thinking of calling them but you answered my question.

I was thinking of calling them but you answered my question.

After I got off it occurred to me that they should have taken my name and number and called me back when they get back online.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!