Nightmares

I have them sometimes. I have scary ones where someone is trying to harm me. :scared: But the ones I have more often are about school. In my dreams the school year is coming to an end and I am failing my classes with no time to make anything up. But in the dream I’m trying - I’m going to classes where no one knows me, and the teachers are shaking their heads, this goes on for a long time and in different classes. At some point I realize it’s impossible, and start to cry. I wake up really upset. Hate those dreams!

I have fairly frequent nightmares - a few times a week is common, though I can sometimes go through phases where it's more frequent. It can be anything at all but often something that is terrifying in the dream but ridiculous in the light of day (dinosaurs is a common one).

Like a pp, I also have the thing where I 'see' things in my room and become terrified before I realise I'm dreaming.

One of my recurring nightmares over the last few years is one where I'm trying to lock my door because someone's trying to get in and the key just turns and turns and won't lock.

I have had so many dreams where I see a plane crash. It's to the point where if I see a plane crash in my dreams I can say 'Oh this is just a dream' and then go about my dream business.

describe what sleep paralysis with hallucinations would be like ? sounds absolutely terrifying

I'm partly awake, I can open my eyes and see my surroundings, but I can't move at all (body still asleep) and I also see things that aren't there. It can be kind of terrifying, as when I close my eyes I still see the hallucinations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

I'm partly awake, I can open my eyes and see my surroundings, but I can't move at all (body still asleep) and I also see things that aren't there. It can be kind of terrifying, as when I close my eyes I still see the hallucinations.

Sleep paralysis is 100% the worst. It's only happened to me a handful of times. Last time I was sleeping on the living room sofa because my DH was snoring bad. I opened my eyes around 4am and there was someone creeping over in the far corner of my kitchen/dining area (open floor plan type situation) but I couldn't move or speak. That went on for at least 5 minutes until my body finally 'woke up'. A bazillion times worse than any nightmare I could have!

Not to make light of some of the more serious things that have been brought up in this thread, but I have a recurring '1st world' Disney nightmare. They are all similar and go something like this:

We (my family and I) are at Disney World and it is the last day of a week long vacation. We have not ridden anything or done much at all and now we are desperately trying to get on rides before we leave. Of course, we are having a hard time getting on anything.

Often I recognize it as a dream and start to have fun with it. Regardless, this is not nearly as horrible as what others are describing.

Sleep paralysis is 100% the worst. It's only happened to me a handful of times. Last time I was sleeping on the living room sofa because my DH was snoring bad. I opened my eyes around 4am and there was someone creeping over in the far corner of my kitchen/dining area (open floor plan type situation) but I couldn't move or speak. That went on for at least 5 minutes until my body finally 'woke up'. A bazillion times worse than any nightmare I could have!

Yes! The not being able to speak is so scary, that's what really makes me start to get panicky.

Not to make light of some of the more serious things that have been brought up in this thread, but I have a recurring '1st world' Disney nightmare. They are all similar and go something like this:

We (my family and I) are at Disney World and it is the last day of a week long vacation. We have not ridden anything or done much at all and now we are desperately trying to get on rides before we leave. Of course, we are having a hard time getting on anything.

Often I recognize it as a dream and start to have fun with it. Regardless, this is not nearly as horrible as what others are describing.
I have had those types of dreams too before every wdw trip. Once I had a trip that was almost actually like these dreams b/c a lot of unfortunate circumstances 😔. I kept telling DH this is like one of my dreams!

Unfortunately some of the medications I take can cause nightmares. It has gotten to the point my mom says don't tell me I don't want to know. One thing that I have found is they are worse when I nap.

I had horrific nightmares when I was pregnant.
I remember one specifically....

I had my son and was watching him on the monitor as he slept. All of a sudden, this black figure took over his crib. I flew down the stairs and into my sons room to discover he was gone. I was screaming and crying that someone had taken my son, only to be told that I had lost him and he was never there to begin with 😢

It was so real. I’ll never forget that nightmare.

I have had those types of dreams too before every wdw trip. Once I had a trip that was almost actually like these dreams b/c a lot of unfortunate circumstances 😔. I kept telling DH this is like one of my dreams!
Yes, I will admit that there have been a couple times over the years that I temporarily felt that my Disney nightmare was coming true, but that feeling quickly vanished. Just last year on our first day, we got to MK pretty much at rope drop and walked to Splash, which did not open because of mechanical issues. So we went to Big Thunder, which then closed while we were in line. However, were were able to get on some rides, even if the park was already starting to fill up.

Again, I should not even mention these things compared to some of the nightmares or real experiences that have been described above.

I haven't had one in awhile. I used to have terrible nightmares! Two of the worst ones I had were one where I felt absolutely no hope. There was nothing in side me. Nothing. It was horrible. So now when I think I'm feeling something is hopeless, I know that it really isn't. The other one was where an alien came in my window and sat on my chest and I couldn't move. I'm thinking that one was a sleep paralysis. I was in my bed exactly like when I went to sleep. When I woke up I was so terrified I couldn't eve roll over and hug my husband much less get out of bed and go check on my 1 yr old in the next room. I woke up from that one understanding how people believed they were abducted. It felt so real.

I have experienced sleep paralysis with hallucinations twice in my life - once when I was 7 (awake in bed but unable to move/scream, "saw" 4 red demons in my room - and once when I was 45 (awake but unable to move/scream or open my eyes, sensed "someone" in room laying upon me) - both times, truly terrifying - especially that time when I was 7, it still haunts me.

I,ve had nightmares a couple of times recently which is strange because I struggle to sleep. Usually something to do with my daughter which leaves me feeling bad for the rest of the day. I also suffer from sleep paralysis. This had died out until a week ago when it happened again, it’s really not good but I’ve had it so much I’m able to stop panicking so much. Unfortunately I have to be ultra careful in what position I sleep in because if I,m on my stomach I feel like I’m suffocating when it kicks in. I suppose that why I don’t sleep well because I can’t relax. I’ve always had hullicinations as well since childhood. I remember one quite clearly from when I was about 7 years old the flowery purple 70s curtains in my bedroom were attacking me .......

I used to have about 3 different nightmares that I would have over and over again as a child and teen. They finally stopped in my early 20s. Now my nightmares almost always involve someone breaking into our house while we're home or snakes. The snakes thing is weird because I'm not afraid of snakes, used to have one as a pet, but in my nightmares there are always rattlesnakes trying to bite me.

I had that happen after taking a certain sleeping medication. I couldn't move but was lying in bed and hallucinated that huge boils erupted all over my body that burned and when I looked at them, it was like I was being pulled into Dante's Inferno, with each boil representing a different circle of hell. It scares the crap out of me and I've refused to take that medication since.

I have pretty frequent (once a week generally, sometimes more) nightmares. Almost all of them involve me running away from some sort of "bad guy" who is trying to harm me. Many times (ever since I was a kid) these nightmares have led me into a specific house while I'm being pursued. I climb up the shelves of a linen closet and find a secret passage in the ceiling that I hide in. As a kid, the dream would end there. As I've gotten older, the pursuer tracks me up there and I go through a series of abandoned rooms hiding (each time I have the nightmare it takes me further), going through more hidden passageways and eventually jump through a high window onto the street. Then I'm running as fast as I can through the same town (that I've never seen in real life) while the guy is still chasing after me.

I have hip and back issues (can't actually run in real life) and I think these frequent running/being pursued nightmares are influenced by that and my anxiety that if I were ever being chased, I wouldn't be able to outrun the person. The nights I have these dreams I am usually having a pain flare.

I had a really bad one on the 10th of last month.

Between 4 and 4:30 one afternoon, I was walking on the street in Maumee, Ohio that I lived on years ago. My mom and dad were sitting on the porch that was built after I moved out of the house.

I slowly walked to them, and they turned into ghosts. As this nightmare went on, it got hazy, but I could see that they had become skeletons.

The other night I had this really weird nightmare. 99 percent of the time I never remember them, but I faintly remembered this one. I was in bed with my girl and I thought she was Regan from the Exorcist, so I started to punch her. It only lasted a second. Fast forward to the morning when my girl told me I had punched her in the middle of the night. We both cracked up for a few seconds and that's when I realized my nightmare. Of course I apologized profusely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter