"No Diapers in Disney"

This was our experience. I have no idea if this is usual; it's just what we encountered.

We took our oldest when she was 5 months, and then again at 16 months. The first trip was a large family trip that was planned before I knew I was pregnant. We were there the week of Christmas. I was nursing, so no need for milk or formula. That being said, I learned to nurse on the go whenever I needed to, because the family/baby stations were often on the other side of the park. When they were close, they were convenient -- clean, quiet, etc. We had a large jogging stroller, and it provided all the privacy that we needed for diaper changes. It also laid flat, so she could nap. Half of the time, I wore her in a carrier, and she was super happy. Diapers were not an issue. Our issues were late reservations (or table reservations in general), any activity after 7 pm, fireworks, and some characters (she was super frightened at Tusker House, and on the safari). We did ride switch but she always seemed to be eating when it was my turn. She slept through Cinderella's Table, Hoop De Doo Review, and Biergarten. All in all, it was a nice trip but we had to deviate from our plans, and we didn't spend as much time with the rest of the family as we would have liked, because they were at Fantasmic, etc.

The second trip was also in December. I was pregnant with #2, and she was in full-on toddler mode and could not be contained. She slept through every character meet and greet, threw fits, and barely made it through restaurants (and we take her out to them weekly, so it wasn't anything new). Diapers were difficult, because she was too old to be changed in the stroller. The milk situation was also difficult, because she needed special milk (soy) that was not available at the parks, and it was hard to keep on ice. We bailed on the last day and spent time at the pool. After that trip I vowed that we would only return when #2 was out of diapers. Lucky for us, she potty trained fast, and we are headed back the week before Christmas. :)

May I ask what you found to be difficult about diapers on your second trip? I didn't have any trouble when we took our 18 month old. There are a million bathrooms at Disney and they are all equipped with baby changing stations.

We took our first when he was 18 months old and it went really well. He could walk so he could see things a little easier than being carried or in the stroller 24/7. He loved Mickey and got his first Mickey Mouse hat and a big plush Mickey since he was his favorite character. When he was 2 he wore his mouse ears everywhere we went, the library, grocery store, etc... for more than 2 months straight so it definitely made an impression on him. He is four now and sleeps with his plush Mickey every night.

We're going back soon and even though he doesn't remember his first visit he already has a love of Mickey and is excited to see "the real Mickey". If we had a no diapers rule he probably wouldn't know much about Mickey and we wouldn't be planning a trip there because we had our second who is in diapers now. Even though he's in diapers I'm really looking forward to our trip and think that they'll really enjoy it!

If it were me I would wait until they're walking on their own at least a little bit because then they are a little more independent and don't have to be carried everywhere and they're less likely to crawl over the gross floor.

May I ask what you found to be difficult about diapers on your second trip? I didn't have any trouble when we took our 18 month old. There are a million bathrooms at Disney and they are all equipped with baby changing stations.

Our girls were always in the 95% percentile for height and weight. By that age, they barely fit on the changing tables, and were so mobile that frankly, changing tables were dangerous. Of course there are a million bathrooms with changing stations, but it was not the ideal situation for us. Diapers were just one issue that we had. Like I explained, this was our experience, and it may not be the same for all people.

Personally I'm dreading the first trip with a potty trained child! I switched DD to pull ups before 2, and just had her stand for pee changes, poop caused a bit more issues. When she was in regular diapers we just dealt with the changing tables or changing pads on the floor in an emergency.

But the I got to go right now with a potty trained toddler I am not looking forward to I see a lot of mad dashing in my future.

Our girls were always in the 95% percentile for height and weight. By that age, they barely fit on the changing tables, and were so mobile that frankly, changing tables were dangerous. Of course there are a million bathrooms with changing stations, but it was not the ideal situation for us. Diapers were just one issue that we had. Like I explained, this was our experience, and it may not be the same for all people.

I have a pretty big kid too - at 18 months he was 78% for height and 98% for weight (33.25 inches and 30 lbs at the time). He fit fine on the changing tables at Disney. I thought they seemed very sturdy, especially since they are essentially a counter built into the wall (unlike the fold down things I usually find in public restrooms). I actually felt like the Disney changing tables were roomy, especially compared to the fold down things. It's always interesting to me to hear varying experiences with kid-related things!

I have a pretty big kid too - at 18 months he was 78% for height and 98% for weight (33.25 inches and 30 lbs at the time). He fit fine on the changing tables at Disney. I thought they seemed very sturdy, especially since they are essentially a counter built into the wall (unlike the fold down things I usually find in public restrooms). I actually felt like the Disney changing tables were roomy, especially compared to the fold down things. It's always interesting to me to hear varying experiences with kid-related things!

I was also pregnant, which may have contributed to it all. I agree about everyone having different experiences. I have no issue with the "gotta go now" part of a newly-potty trained child! :)

Congratulations!

I used to have a "no diapers, no strollers" rule.
But then my brother-in-law's conference created a very cheap Disney opportunity for us, and we took my nephew at nine months.
Then again a year later with his baby brother.
And again.

It was absolutely worth it. Do the boys remember much about their first few trips? No. But we do, and it was worth every single moment. Seeing a 1.5 year old discover the Epcot sparking walkway with such delight is possibly one of my top memories in seventeen years of Disney trips.

Our perspectives definitely shift over time, so a rule made pre-kid may not be the most important post-kid.
Do what feels right for you guys. If you want to wait until he can experience and remember it, do it. If you want to take him when he's younger, do it. There will be pros and cons to taking chlidren at any age- but there is still a lot of magic to be had.

Congratulations on the new bundle!! I would say that if you are Disney regulars and you personally enjoy WDW then i would not want to put off a trip for 3-4 years before my child is out of diapers/pull ups ( I say 3-4 because even if they are out of diapers by 2 1/2 you better be near a bathroom because they sometimes don't know how to hold it -- so in this case it is easier when they are in diapers) . You just need to relax your pace and work with your little ones schedule. If you plan trips with the grandparents this is even better because you can hopefully put the little one down for the evening and you and your wife head out for a little alone time.

This is all very new to you and your wife. It might seem overwhelming now thinking about having to go out and about and worry about where/when you will be able to change diapers. We have changed our kids in the front seat of the car, in the stroller, on the ground with a towel - basically any where. WDW is probably one of the most kid friendly places you could go. If they sleep in the stroller -- even better because it won't involve you having to go back to the resort for nap time. I would not wait to go.

If you have the means to go just do it and think of how wonderful it will be to see the pictures of your little one in front of the castle at 6 months a year 18 months etc. And once they are 3 they will start costing you more money with tickets and food so take advantage of going when they are little and free.

The only real consideration would be to try an go when the weather is not hot. Another benefit with only one young child is that you don't have to worry about school vacations etc. You could go at a cooler, slighly slower time of the year and not have to worry about the crowds so much nor the weather. Once they start school, which will be here before you know it, then you will be worried about them missing school and restricted to going in the summer (super hot and humid) or school vacations (usually a little busier)

Last edited:
I thought I'd share our experience with a kiddo also. My husband boycotted my trip last year in May 2016 with my son at 16 months thinking I was ridiculous for taking a baby, but Disney is my jam and the thought of getting adorable photos of him at that age at Disney World (see my profile pic) made my heart pitter-patter, so I went anyways since grandparents wanted to take him and paid for a week at the Poly. :love:

I read up on trip reports of families who had taken babies around the same age to give myself clear expectations, and I went into it knowing that I'd roll with his mood each day and adjust as necessary, but he far surpassed my expectations, and he and I both really loved the trip!! We got his first haircut at the barber shop on Main Street, met Mickey, he did fantastic on all the rides and looked around in wonder but never fussed once on the ride, he was too mesmerized. We happened to be there in mid-May when the spring CP's were finishing their semester and found a Photopass CP on her very last working day who just wanted to play :) so she basically did a private photo session with us and spent at least 30 minutes taking pictures of my baby all around Main Street, so magical! I rented a full size crib from a third-party company and brought my full-size travel system stroller from home which is what he's used to and reclines fully, has cup holders for him and multiples for me and grandparents. Totally worth lugging through the airport. Staying at a monorail resort made our lives much, much easier to not have to fold up the stroller, and because of that, I only went to a non-monorail park one day, knowing I'd be taking him back on lots of future Disney trips to see AK and HS more. He appreciated little things like dancing to the background loop music. One more tip, in the DVC Poly studio (we're not DVC, just paid rack rate to rent that type of room), the second bathroom with just a vanity and shower worked WONDERFULLY for my baby to sleep in, even with the rented full size crib, we rolled the crib, closed the barn-door style door, turned on a sound machine and he snoozed like a champ and we didn't bother him a bit making noise in the main room. Some stroller naps during the day that didn't phase him a bit, and some naps back in the room. We generally called it a day by dinner time and headed back to room for bath and bed to keep him somewhat on his schedule, but we took turns staying in the room while he slept so we could watch fireworks from the Poly beach, get a dole whip, walk around the resort, etc. We did one late night at MK all together so he could see the MSEP and fireworks, but he slept through them...

Whatever you choose, know that you can have a magical trip at any age!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter