No more bags

So what you are getting at...Disney has masterminded the farce of "plastic is bad for the environment" in order to cut costs? Got it.

Is this really the first time any of you have come across a store that now charges for plastic bags? Disney is actually the last of the gang to jump on this train.

Plastic bags are dead Zed.
Well, this is the first store that I go to that will charge for bags. So, no, not the last. Well, I guess the warehouse stores are the first. Other stores around here sell reusable bags, and I have some in my car, and use them. But if I don't bring in a bag, no one around here charges for them. I run a small store. We don't charge for the bags. But we do ask if you want one. But that is because most of our sales are of one or two items or small items that will fit in a pocket or purse.

For me plastic bags were DOA. I've hated them since they came out. They have never held as much as a paper bag and they have always fallen over in the trunk. Blech.

But selling bags is a great cost cutting measure and if Disney really wanted to be on the cutting edge of environmentalism, they would have been the first or second major store to do this, but instead, as you said they are "the last of the gang to jump on the train."

Well, this is the first store that I go to that will charge for bags. So, no, not the last. Well, I guess the warehouse stores are the first. Other stores around here sell reusable bags, and I have some in my car, and use them. But if I don't bring in a bag, no one around here charges for them. I run a small store. We don't charge for the bags. But we do ask if you want one. But that is because most of our sales are of one or two items or small items that will fit in a pocket or purse.

For me plastic bags were DOA. I've hated them since they came out. They have never held as much as a paper bag and they have always fallen over in the trunk. Blech.

But selling bags is a great cost cutting measure and if Disney really wanted to be on the cutting edge of environmentalism, they would have been the first or second major store to do this, but instead, as you said they are "the last of the gang to jump on the train."
Exactly.
I've disliked plastic bags since they hit the scene.
The "handles" are like knife blades when items over a few ounces are in them and they tear like tissue when anything that has edges is put inside.
IMO paper was/is a far superior bag material.
That said, we, and most of the World, are so reliant on plastic products that they cannot be eliminated, or even curtailed to any measurable extent, without crippling Society.
The idea that making customers pay for their bag material is nothing more than another money grab by retailers, like Disney, who've factored the cost of bags into their price structure since day one.
The "going green" proclamation is just an excuse to make a few more cents on every one of the billions of purchases made each day.

Retailers here in the UK have had a 5p bag charge for a couple of years now. They make reusable bags that fold up really small so it's no big deal to carry one with you, or reuse a old plastic bag.

lol going " green "

I'm not carrying around reusable bags with me everywhere I go, just incase I decide to go shopping

If you're not going to give me a bag to carry all the stuff I was going to buy from you, then I won't buy from you.. Simple as that

If there are people who love to carry around reusable bags, then heres to you, but don't force it upon me

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-B...79:m:mvmiEG1_S-RKOWx2RV9X_Rw&var=552894858129

Things like this are pretty cool because then you just have it in your purse!

So are they going to staple receipts to stuff or put a sticker on things you buy in the park if you won't pay for a bag? How will they send things back to resorts.?

So are they going to staple receipts to stuff or put a sticker on things you buy in the park if you won't pay for a bag? How will they send things back to resorts.?

This has not been instituted in the parks yet. So far, only in the Disney retail stores you'd find in your local malls and shopping centers.

I've wondered whether businesses that move to "no bag" or reusable bag policies experience reductions in overall sales. Whenever I shop at places that have those policies, I know I'm far less likely to impulse buy because I know approximately how much the bags I have hold and how much I can carry out without a bag - or I'll make the economic decision not to buy enough that would require purchasing additional bags at the checkout (which they'll gladly sell me). Setting aside any environmental reasons, I sort of like bag policies since they're a psychological check on my own consumerism. It's anecdotal, but I assume I'm not the only one.

That's what I sort of find ironic - that a business decision to promote responsible behavior in one (environmental) area may end up promoting more responsible (consumer) behavior overall, which is not in the financial interest of the business. If there were any reduction in overall sales and that eclipsed the cost-savings of the bag policies, I suspect many of those policies would disappear (other than those truly committed to environmental change and not just those using it as pretext).

I've wondered whether businesses that move to "no bag" or reusable bag policies experience reductions in overall sales. Whenever I shop at places that have those policies, I know I'm far less likely to impulse buy because I know approximately how much the bags I have hold and how much I can carry out without a bag - or I'll make the economic decision not to buy enough that would require purchasing additional bags at the checkout (which they'll gladly sell me). Setting aside any environmental reasons, I sort of like bag policies since they're a psychological check on my own consumerism. It's anecdotal, but I assume I'm not the only one.

That's what I sort of find ironic - that a business decision to promote responsible behavior in one (environmental) area may end up promoting more responsible (consumer) behavior overall, which is not in the financial interest of the business. If there were any reduction in overall sales and that eclipsed the cost-savings of the bag policies, I suspect many of those policies would disappear (other than those truly committed to environmental change and not just those using it as pretext).

For me, it just pushes me to just buy online more, where I'm not going to buy the random extra things. Why would I buy in a store and get charged extra when I could just get free shipping

Forgive me if I missed a post about this already, but my local Disney store said that beginning this week they will no longer have bags. I was told to either bring a reusable bag when I shop or I can purchase one at checkout (.99 I think). The reason given was that they are "going green." I'm all for green initiatives, but this one seems pretty odd to me.

This is nothing new, but has really picked up steam, and is happening pretty much all across North America (at least Canada/US) in a large amount of stores. And I would expect within the not-too distant future, will be nation-wide, for all stores.

Pocket. Sorry

And if you don’t have a purse or pocket? I usually go to the grocery or theme parks with only a crossbody phone wallet. No room for even the smallest of reusable bags. I will never pay for a bag. That’s as much of a money grab as the new resort parking fee, which I also won’t pay. How am I, carrying my purchases in my bare hands going to differentiate myself from a shoplifter doing the same?

Don’t get me wrong. I believe we need to take care of the environment and when shopping at the mall, I use the first bag I get to hold an subsequent purchases as well. But it’s a racket to charge a dollar for a single use bag.

And if you don’t have a purse or pocket? I usually go to the grocery or theme parks with only a crossbody phone wallet. No room for even the smallest of reusable bags. I will never pay for a bag. That’s as much of a money grab as the new resort parking fee, which I also won’t pay. How am I, carrying my purchases in my bare hands going to differentiate myself from a shoplifter doing the same?

Don’t get me wrong. I believe we need to take care of the environment and when shopping at the mall, I use the first bag I get to hold an subsequent purchases as well. But it’s a racket to charge a dollar for a single use bag.
Which stores are charging a dollar for single use bags? I've seen them selling reusable bags for a dollar, but not the flimsy disposable ones that they are phasing out.

Which stores are charging a dollar for single use bags? I've seen them selling reusable bags for a dollar, but not the flimsy disposable ones that they are phasing out.

None that I've gone to. You can buy a reusable bag for a low as $1.00, but the fee you are charged when you choose the store's plastic bag is pennies.

The original posts were discussing the Disney Store charging .99 for a bag. They did not say the bags being paid for were reusable or single use, only that you could bring a reusable bag or buy a bag for .99. It makes a difference whether you get the same old normal bag or a reusable one, although I would not pay for either.

We don't need more plastic straws or lids. We don't need more plastic bags.

We also don't need more oversized SUVs, wood burning fireplaces, outdoor grills or closets filled with more clothing or shoes than are needed. Everything we do has an impact on the environment. I would rather stores offer recycled paper bags for free versus selling the plastic reusable bags that don't last forever, will still have a negative impact on the environment and that I have to spend time and energy to keep clean and store.

I think Disney and other stores are capitalizing on the green movement but if they are going to charge for plastic bags, they should take a close look at everything they sell. For example, selling things with excessive packaging has always bothered me. I don't buy the excuse that things like cereal settles and that's why the box is half full. It shouldn't be that difficult to fill the cereal into the liner bag, shake it a bit before sealing it and then put it into a right-sized box. Then we have the absolutely awful plastic clamshell packaging that's a pain to open, can't be reused for anything and only sometimes recyclable. Last is the change to a disposable society where people buy so many things and get rid of them before they wear out simply to get a newer style, an upgraded cell phone, a new model car, etc. Collectively we can make a big difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter