No more gingerbread house making

And bringing your own decorations....
I'm thinking that the CMs might take issue with you using their icing/candies for a personal gingerbread house.

Well, I did say "kit", and I've personally never purchased a gingerbread kit that didn't come with icing and candies. I certainly wasn't thinking that someone might bring their own bare gingerbread walls and roof to the cookie decorating party :rotfl2:

Sorry for any confusion. I was not suggesting someone bring their gingerbread house kit to the cookie decorating. I just thought if people really wanted to make a gingerbread house, they could bring a kit on board with them and make it in their state room.

Sorry for any confusion. I was not suggesting someone bring their gingerbread house kit to the cookie decorating. I just thought if people really wanted to make a gingerbread house, they could bring a kit on board with them and make it in their state room.
I wasn't being accusatory. I was just hoping to avert a crisis because someone "didn't think about it".

Personally, I like the idea of bringing your own (if you must decorate a house), because it means that you can set it up for a time that works for you and not have to plan around a specific time. Maybe an event that Cruise Meet threads could include in their "what activities do you want to do?" planning bag.

One note, still, you won't be able to bring the house off the ship at the end of the cruise.

I wasn't being accusatory. I was just hoping to avert a crisis because someone "didn't think about it".

Personally, I like the idea of bringing your own (if you must decorate a house), because it means that you can set it up for a time that works for you and not have to plan around a specific time. Maybe an event that Cruise Meet threads could include in their "what activities do you want to do?" planning bag.

One note, still, you won't be able to bring the house off the ship at the end of the cruise.

You're probably right. Then we could add it to the list of issues on the boorish behavior thread - people showing up to cookie decorating with their own gingerbread house

You're probably right. Then we could add it to the list of issues on the boorish behavior thread - people showing up to cookie decorating with their own gingerbread house
Well, I don't really have a issue with people showing up to the cookie decorating with their own house, just if they don't bring decorations to use.

But, I think if you're going to the trouble to bring your own house and own decorations, you don't actually have to go the DCL specific time.

not sure if you can bring the kit onboard.

You can bring food onboard if it is commercially packaged, factory sealed AND non-perishable. Many, but not all, commercial gingerbread house kits fit this. Some do not, usually because they are perishable -- this especially applies to allergy/special diets-friendly kits that one can buy online, almost all of which are clearly noted as perishable on the seller's website and are usually only shipped on certain days as a result [I have been researching such kits recently].

SW

I can't think why anyone would bring a gingerbread house kit to the cookie decorating party.... that seems way too odd. I totally got that you were saying someone might want to make it in their stateroom, dcassetta.

I can't think why anyone would bring a gingerbread house kit to the cookie decorating party.... that seems way too odd. I totally got that you were saying someone might want to make it in their stateroom, dcassetta.

I can't imagine lots of things that people do on cruise ships. I think I was especially stunned by the recent post about someone bringing a child's potty to the theater and allowing the child to use it during the show.

Some people on the cruises seem very entitled. I'm envisioning someone being angry about the gingerbread house decorating no longer being available, and so taking their own house to the cookie decorating just to make a point with Disney.

For us the fun was having the pastry chef make one with us and sharing the experience with other families. We always make one at home - not sure about about bringing one on but...since we're cruising with extended family that might be a fun thing to do in "down time". I'm sure we could find somewhere to all sit and do it.

For us the fun was having the pastry chef make one with us and sharing the experience with other families. We always make one at home - not sure about about bringing one on but...since we're cruising with extended family that might be a fun thing to do in "down time". I'm sure we could find somewhere to all sit and do it.

If you are sailing on the Magic or Wonder, the promenade lounge often has lots of space, unless a specific activity is occurring.

We were first in line. It didn’t take long to do and as people left, they setup more cookies and frosting at each place setting. Besides white fronting, there are colored hard candies.

Wish I had paid more attention to the paper navigator!!!

We just got off the 3 night Merrytime on the Dream at the beginning of the week. Cookie decorating was offered two afternoons, no tickets needed. We waited in line at the start of the first day, but could have easily slid in later.

We each got a cookie on a tray, a cup of sprinkle type decorations and two bags of white icing to share between the three of us.

This was really perfect for my boys who wouldn’t have stayed engaged (or gotten along) for a whole house. We ate our cookies by the end of the day.

I just got off the Fantasy. They offered cookie decorating on the second sea day (western cruise) at Animators and it was by reservation only. I have to double check but I don't think it was listed in the Navigator and you had to sign up in advance at guest services. Then they offered a second time at 3pm on Castaway Cay day that was open to anyone. It goes quick, you can be done in 10-15 minutes. I went and DH decided he didn't want to go, but they CM told me to make 2 cookies.

Also, I brought my own gingerbread house onboard and made it in our room. We never ate it, so I told my stateroom host is was her's if she wanted it.

Just got off the Wonder. We had a super late PAT time due to last minute booking so I was super stressed about getting a ticket and being able to do cookie or house decorating. Guest Services said it was no longer ticketed and just first come first served. I was concerned there would be limited supplies and the lines would be horrible. All concern was for naught. It was scheduled from 9-10:45 on the last day. I was assured they had enough supplies for the duration. We breeze into Animator’s Palate, there was no line, busy in there, but not too crowded, very efficient. Each family was seated, tables were prestocked with cookies, scissors, candies, and icing. We were finished in 10 minutes and the delicious little guy was consumed before we got back to the stateroom. I was expecting packaged bland cookies and was pleasantly surprised they’d been freshly baked!

A fresh cookie sounds delicious. I’m not much of a icing fan so I might skip the decorating and just ask for the fresh cookies and leave. Although I’d pay a fee to decorate a house that I would not eat.

Just got off the wonder and the cookie decorating was awesome! Quick, festive, and the cookies were yummy. They had plenty of supplies and the activities crew was helpful.

Attachments

• 73C35D3F-46E7-4258-AF95-7D7E49D7FE70.jpeg
    73C35D3F-46E7-4258-AF95-7D7E49D7FE70.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 39
Just got off the Fantasy last week. The cookie experience was odd. First off the first session on not on the navigator but didn't require tickets. the second event was on the navigator.
Concierge booked me for it but they didn't ask nor was I given tickets to enter. It was ok and I'll skip in the future unless they bring the houses back. We got a cookie and 1 bag of icing to share between the 2 cookies, it was enough. Then a small cup of round candies only. They were a little hard to apply with adult hands. I feel sorry for the crew that had to vacuum after the cookie event.
Verdict: 6/10 -- Do it once or with kids. Adults can skip or maybe do once. Bring back the houses :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!