No more manners

I do think people should be caring and helpful. And I have given up my seat more times than I can count when I am able.

But having said that, I think a lot of what is so wrong with this world is the lack of personal responsibility. After one trip on a Disney bus you know how they work. You see they are designed to hold more people standing than sitting. If you feel you or a family member shouldn't be standing on a bus, the best thing to do would be to rent a car. If that isn't in the budget then the next best thing is to wait for a bus with open seating. Choosing to get on a full bus expecting someone to give you a seat is being a tool. Why should total strangers care more for your health and welfare than you do????

Well I as a total stranger I do care about others. I realize peoples kids want to stay for the night time show and will have to deal with the bus. I get that there are parents that yes choose to stand because they just want to get their kids to bed and not wait still standing in line for the next bus. I see an elderly person who may need to sit or the pregnant women who looks exhausted. How could anybody who is able body at the end of the day not notice simply because you are tired? I will never understand because I am programmed to be that stranger who is helpful. Like really its not that hard..

Well I as a total stranger I do care about others. I realize peoples kids want to stay for the night time show and will have to deal with the bus. I get that there are parents that yes choose to stand because they just want to get their kids to bed and not wait still standing in line for the next bus. I see an elderly person who may need to sit or the pregnant women who looks exhausted. How could anybody who is able body at the end of the day not notice simply because you are tired? I will never understand because I am programmed to be that stranger who is helpful. Like really its not that hard..

It isn't hard for some to help others, you are right. But on the other hand, is it that hard to take care of your own or your own families needs, and not put that responsibility onto total strangers?I get being surprised the first time you ride a Disney bus. But after that if you are in a bad situation you put yourself there. You should be less upset with the people sitting than you are at yourself for putting yourself or your family into that situation.

Everyone is tired leaving the parks. And waiting for the next bus with open seats is not fun. But if you choose to put your pregnant self/elderly parents/sick child onto a standing room only bus when you know they shouldn't stand, the blame is yours for being in that bad spot. Not the others on the bus.

It isn't hard for some to help others, you are right. But on the other hand, is it that hard to take care of your own or your own families needs, and not put that responsibility onto total strangers?I get being surprised the first time you ride a Disney bus. But after that if you are in a bad situation you put yourself there. You should be less upset with the people sitting than you are at yourself for putting yourself or your family into that situation.

Everyone is tired leaving the parks. And waiting for the next bus with open seats is not fun. But if you choose to put your pregnant self/elderly parents/sick child onto a standing room only bus when you know they shouldn't stand, the blame is yours for being in that bad spot. Not the others on the bus.

I was kind of put off by that sanctimonious post too. I am a pretty nice person and I tend to be considerate of others. However, I alsoknow what my limitations are and what I am up to doing. As a frequent Disney visitor I know how the buses work, and I make sure that I and my family are in a situation that is appropriate for us. I will do my best to assist someone if I notice a need, btu I am not going to apologize because I might be exhausted and not notice, or if I just am not up to making a change in my seating position. As an adult I make sure I care for my family, and as an adult I figure others must do so as well.

Again, if I can I will. But I find it rude that anyoen feels they are better Hunan beings than I because they stand when they determine it is appropriate. We all tend to do what is right for us when we feel it is appropriate.

And while I am on my bandwagon, I think it is pretty nonsensical to hear this same complaint in regards to parades, character lines, restaurants, and attraction queues. If I plan ahead and arrive in my favorite spot, please do not moan and groan that your late self cannot see, or that your child is having thier first view of the afternoon parade and Im in the way. Get there early. Stop making me responsible for your error in judgement. If my family is in a M&G and we want pictures, we waited, just like you. Your child is not more important than my family, and as an adult, I am as entitled to a picture with Tink or Marie as your child is. My family as well. I also get that Mama needs her morning coffe in peace and quiet before she is ready to attack the parks, but if she cannot get her carcass into the queue with the family, I am not going to be sweet as she pushes and prods her way through 100 people to get to you. Bad enough I had to listen for 45 minutes about poor tired Mommy, I should not need to be shoved up against a rope so her manicured self can meet you. ANd finally....my DH is tall. He knows it. I know it. He tries to shrink, but stop whining that he shoud get to the back of the pack. WE save for our DIsney trips too, and I am not going to watch him skulk to teh back of the crowd so you can get a better view. WE try to shoo shorter folks in front of him, but we have a family just as you do and we want to enjoy the fireworks or any other activity together. You are no more entitled than he is.

I don't quite understand the advice people keep giving to wait for the next bus. Isn't that standing in line to avoid standing on a bus? How does that particular bit of personal responsibility amount to any less standing?

Disney World is marketed to everyone, not just those with perfect health. Sure, they could build different, lower-capacity busses so nobody had to stand. But that would mean more of them...and a bigger traffic mess...and ultimately slower service. Isn't it a better solution to ask those who can stand to do so, so that we can all enjoy less traffic and faster service? Doesn't being generous, in this one instance, just make logical sense?

I don't quite understand the advice people keep giving to wait for the next bus. Isn't that standing in line to avoid standing on a bus? How does that particular bit of personal responsibility amount to any less standing?

Disney World is marketed to everyone, not just those with perfect health. Sure, they could build different, lower-capacity busses so nobody had to stand. But that would mean more of them...and a bigger traffic mess...and ultimately slower service. Isn't it a better solution to ask those who can stand to do so, so that we can all enjoy less traffic and faster service? Doesn't being generous, in this one instance, just make logical sense?

My dad can stand in line. I won't put him on a standing room only bus, as his balance can be a bit iffy. Much harder to keep your balance on a bus making turns than on solid ground. His balance is why, for the first time in many years, I have a car rented for my next trip to WDW. I won't put his safety into the hands of strangers. It is my responsibility to see to it he can be safe and comfortable while traveling. It is not the responsibility of PollyannaMom, or Nancyg56, or anyone else.

Also, at night if someone chooses to wait for the next bus to get a seat, people will pass by them and fill up the bus. Capacity isn't lost, it is shifted.

We are going to have to agree to disagree. I view it as proper etiquette.

I just don't get in line. I either stay in the park or near the bus stop, and wait for the crowds to go down.

Then I head to the buses. That way the wait, in line, standing, is minimal and I will have a seat on the bus.

Also, as has already been said, there is a difference between standing in a line on solid ground and standing in a moving bus.

When i give up my seat on a bus to someone standing in the aisle, and i often do.. i don't do it out of kindness to the person standing, i do it to show my kids how to be kind. Also to please my dad who may not be on the bus with me but is always in my head telling me right from wrong..

I confess that I didn't read 100% of the posts one is thread. But I did want to mention that on our last trip, one of my favorite memories was the crowded bus ride after Illuminations.

There were many sleeping children, and those without a kid in their arms scrambled to be the one to give up a seat. One dad who had a good standing spot in the stairwell offered to hold all the folded strollers so that people would have hands free to hold the hand bars.

So my own experience is that manners are alive and well at WDW.

Due to mobility/balance difficulties, we find it easier all around to just rent a car so we can come and go when we are out of steam. On the rare occasion we choose to do the bus, I do not expect someone to give up their seat because I did not plan better.
That being said, I have been the recipient of some kind young men who jumped to give me their seats. Very heartwarming and appreciated!

Also, as has already been said, there is a difference between standing in a line on solid ground and standing in a moving bus.

I do totally get that if the issues are just with balance! But for others it's back surgery, or bad knees (which would also keep renting a car from being a viable option) or whatever, so I was thinking of those cases too.

We are going to have to agree to disagree. I view it as proper etiquette.

I'm not sure what is proper about putting the responsibility for your/your family member's safety onto total strangers instead of taking that burden upon yourself.

It is nice if people offer to help others out. It is not nice to expect it, or to put yourself into a situation where the lack of it is dangerous.

You don't see that you are judging all of the people that may have been on line before all of the seniors, moms, etc. and determining that they are less worthy of getting a seat or perhaps even getting on the bus? I know plenty of seniors that are able to stand on a bus while two much younger family members cannot. You wouldn't necessarily know by looking at them. You might be causing someone to be late for work or miss an important doctor's appointment because you are favoring a mom that decided to go shopping because she was bored or a group of seniors rushing to get to their weekly bingo game.
Ah I see what you are getting at! :) If you need to get to work, you're just like me, and if you're not there early enough to wait for the bus, you miss it. Or risk not being able to get on because during rush hours, usually there are 2 buses that are too full to stop, passing the stop entirely. Same difference with appointments - if you rely on the bus, you give yourself one extra bus route of time because a bus could get hit by a car, could break down, could have an incident with a violent passenger, whatever, you are not guaranteed a place on the next bus. UNLIKE Disney.

I block the door because otherwise, there is always some group or individual who feels they need to walk over and through someone's ECV while bus-loading. SERIOUSLY I have seen it. (One guy even BROKE the bus ramp because the driver was lowering it, and some dude shoves the waiting seniors, and tried to step on the ramp as it was coming down, he snapped the hinges and we all had to wait 20 minutes for another bus and I was late for work!!!) Or the jerk who shoves the mom's stroller off the loading ramp so he can get past her and man-spread across the first row of "mobility seating". Or the jerk who can SEE the blind lady with her cane, what does he do? He cut her in line (she may have heard him but didn't see him!), he sticks his feet out into the aisle, so she stumbles and then he laughs loudly about how , "she should get a caregiver because she clearly can't get on a bus - unless maybe she's been DRINKING?!" And we're all standing there in shock!!!

It's just so much easier to create a loading zone for those who do need the extra time to manage devices, children, etc. If someone needs help and their need is invisible (mine is, I have terrible asthma), I expect them to come up and advocate for themselves. It's public transit, let's just get there together already! But there is NO NEED to turn it into a scene from Mad Max which I see far, far, too often in my city. :(

A better solution for whom? The point most of us are trying to make is that for the most part we see generosity in terms of seating arrangement on a bus. I have been making multiple trips a year and can see that there are more ""manners" than one would assume from reading the first post. However, we all have our reasons for not offering to stand if that is what we choose to do. This does not negate that we are kind and generous people, but does acknowledge that if you are concerned that a family member will be challenged by having to stand on a bus, or will not be able to wait for the next one that comes along you have a choice: rent a car or flag a taxi. We use taxi service to and from meals all of the time. Not because we cannot stand but because we do not want to waste time on buses. When I was responsible for my DGD in a park and she fell asleep, I left before the fireworks and while I still stood on teh bus, I did not need to wait for a crowd in front of me to go first. I chose to miss the fireworks, but as the caregiver of my DGD that night, I knew I had choices to make. Bottom line: We all make compromises on our trips, and while the kindness of others is appreciated, you cannot rely on it.

With all of this said, all the holier than thou business is frustrating because it comes from observing a snapshot of another's life. It is easy to stand back and make a pronouncement based on a ten minute ride, but without knowing all that transpired before that glimpse the observation is skewed to your own lens and is useless. I cannot help but wonder if the same people who complain about "no manners", or "cell phones are more important than family" have any real idea what they are seeing when they make their determination. I often think that they do not.

I'm not sure what is proper about putting the responsibility for your/your family member's safety onto total strangers instead of taking that burden upon yourself.

It is nice if people offer to help others out. It is not nice to expect it, or to put yourself into a situation where the lack of it is dangerous.

Google disney bus etiquette, there are plenty of articles that state if you are able to stand to please do so for those in need.

Google disney bus etiquette, there are plenty of articles that state if you are able to stand to please do so for those in need.
Google as a means of determining policy? really. I can google and depending on the exact phrase I use, find articles supporting the exact opposite position. That said, when my husband's back is acting up (which is much less frequent than in the past thanks to surgery) he can walk and stand for miles, but cannot stand on a moving bus. And at 6'7" 230 lbs, you don't want him falling on you, which is likely to happen if he loses his balance. So we took care of ourselves. We looked at the bus before we got on and if he couldn't sit, we moved to the side. Why because we would be rude to assume someone would give up their seat for him. I don't know why people are sitting and frankly its not any of my business. We took care of our needs in a manner that impacted no one except us. Will I give up my seat if someone appears to need it more. Sure, but it is rude of someone to get on a full bus assuming that someone will give up their seat to them. That is the height of rudeness.

Google as a means of determining policy? really. I can google and depending on the exact phrase I use, find articles supporting the exact opposite position. That said, when my husband's back is acting up (which is much less frequent than in the past thanks to surgery) he can walk and stand for miles, but cannot stand on a moving bus. And at 6'7" 230 lbs, you don't want him falling on you, which is likely to happen if he loses his balance. So we took care of ourselves. We looked at the bus before we got on and if he couldn't sit, we moved to the side. Why because we would be rude to assume someone would give up their seat for him. I don't know why people are sitting and frankly its not any of my business. We took care of our needs in a manner that impacted no one except us. Will I give up my seat if someone appears to need it more. Sure, but it is rude of someone to get on a full bus assuming that someone will give up their seat to them. That is the height of rudeness.

I never said people should feel entitled to a seat. I said I think if you are able bodied and do not give a seat to someone in need you are rude. I have been on the bus plenty and never complained or expected someone to give me a seat. My first post was that I would feel bad if I did not give my seat. I will NOT be made to feel bad because I do that. It is common courtesy and just because its apparently a lost art does not make it right. Since traveling once with child we are renting a car so guess what I am not entitled like you think. I AM responding to the fact that people should show common courtesy to others. So good for you that you waited..you want a mickey bar? I am doing the same thing. But I do believe if I am on that bus I will be standing for someone in need. There a lot of reasons why someone decided to stand or is on the bus in the first place. I dont believe all of them are entitled at all. I am just doing the right thing.

So? Does that make it any less rude or reckless to get on a full bus knowing there is no open seating? Nope. If you are constantly getting onto standing room only buses and relying on people to get up for you, you are just as if not more rude than those who don't stand.

Again, I do get up for others quite often. But to me the main issue is lack of care for your own family. If you keep putting them into the position of having to have strangers give up their seat for you, you are not only rude but are not treating your family very nicely. Expecting strangers to care more than you do is shameful.

So? Does that make it any less rude or reckless to get on a full bus knowing there is no open seating? Nope. If you are constantly getting onto standing room only buses and relying on people to get up for you, you are just as if not more rude than those who don't stand.

Again, I do get up for others quite often. But to me the main issue is lack of care for your own family. If you keep putting them into the position of having to have strangers give up their seat for you, you are not only rude but are not treating your family very nicely. Expecting strangers to care more than you do is shameful.

I do not expect anyone to give up their seat to me or my family. You assumed that. In fact on our trip this fall we are renting a car. Like I said in the post above my first post said I would personally feel like crap if I sat there. I also said I believe those who are able and dont give up a seat are rude because it is proper etiquette. I have made it clear that I stand for others. I do not know or care why someone didnt wait for the next bus and chose to stand but I will always give my seat to someone else in need. Its not about them being entitled its about common courtesy.

It's all about consideration for others! :) I ride public transit all the time in my home city. The unspoken and very-rarely-enforced rules are: Seniors, Mobility Devices and Strollers first, then everyone else. I get commented rudely at a lot by transit users who don't understand my consideration as I block the loading area as the bus pulls up, as I am yelling for all the strollers and seniors to line up at the door first and let them go in front of me.
While I def. think you truly feel as though you are being the most considerate in this situation you are also being inconsiderate too..towards those who you are blocking.

See for me the thing is you aren't blocking your own children or your insisting your spouse/significant other wait til others have had the chance to board-if that was the case hey that's your personal business. However, you are blocking people who you don't know and shouldn't control. It's not surprising you get rude comments by a lot of transit users. I would be annoyed too if you took it upon yourself to police the public transit. I don't mean that in a mean way either by saying that.

If there were actual rules for the public transit that said seniors, mobility devices and strollers should line up first (rather than what I would normally see which is seats for the elderly and for mobility devices-haven't personally seen a specific area for stroller though myself) it still wouldn't mean you should physically block people from getting onto the bus. Either the bus driver or a representative from the public transit should be the one doing that.

Obviously not trying to change your mind/actions here just providing a perspective.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!