No More Peanuts on Southwest

I don't hear people here expecting the world to cater to their needs. Wow. Every school now has peanut free rooms or tables/sections of the lunchroom. It is a huge issue. Reading about people upset because they will miss their tiny bag of peanuts is ludicrous, imo. It's impossible to clean every inch of a plane to make it safe for those with severe allergies, but if making it easier for people to travel and not worry about an overload of peanuts, why not? Compassion and kindness, people.
I have a bad allergy to scents when the parents start thinking about others with allergies I might think about leaving my peanuts home. yes my allergy is bad enough that the plane could have to be held at gate or having to land early because of me as I can not breath. epi pen does not help that and oxygen mask might not be enough. and yes I can close to making a plane have to land for EMTs to meet me. mother's reaction was too bad my child comes first and was the most upset when it became possible of not making it without stopping for me because she and her family were going to miss their flight

Funny how all these issues are recent.......never was an issue in the 1980s when I was in school. Did anyone even hear of ADHD 40 years ago? Gluten this Gluten that. GMO this GMO that. Safe places etc. All very first world problems in which others feel compelled to thrust their will onto others.

I fly in 2 weeks and I’m going to bring an extra large bag of nuts on board with me along with peanut butter crackers and will have a Reese’s just for drill. Heck, i will even share with my whole family and we are flying Southwest.

I know a few with peanut allergies. So much that it doesn't take much peanut dust to send them to a hospital. A slight amount of dust in the air is all it takes. I do not believe that SW getting rid of peanuts is going to accomplish anything. As many said, others can and do bring peanut snacks on flights. On a plane with 100-300+ people, there will almost always be someone with a peanut based snack of some sort. If someone is allergic to peanuts, SW's change will do nothing for them.

Funny how all these issues are recent.......never was an issue in the 1980s when I was in school. Did anyone even hear of ADHD 40 years ago? Gluten this Gluten that. GMO this GMO that. Safe places etc. All very first world problems in which others feel compelled to thrust their will onto others.

I fly in 2 weeks and I’m going to bring an extra large bag of nuts on board with me along with peanut butter crackers and will have a Reese’s just for drill. Heck, i will even share with my whole family and we are flying Southwest.

Great example for your (I presume) children. I truly hope you’ll never encounter a situation in your life where you’ll ask others to have a single modicum of sympathy for your children.

What kind of person gets joy out of this? So incredibly spiteful.

Last edited:

It was around, but before 1980, ADHD was considered a behavioural issue or learning disability. I went to school in the 70’s with a boy who was placed in a “special class”. Sad really. Years later he recognized his problem was ADHD.

Wow. It sounds like you will take great pleasure in doing so. Enjoy, I guess. Nobody will stop you.

Last edited:
People also had Celiac years ago. Doctors at one time thought that babies grew out of it. They were the so called "banana babies," because back in 1924 there was a published paper indicating that sufferers should eliminate all carbs except bananas. But even before that, in 1888, Samuel Gee, a London doctor, documented a disease where people needed to eliminate starch from their diet. It wasn't until 1952 that doctors discovered that it was the dreaded gluten. At that point doctors discovered that people got better during times of war when grains were scarce.

So, yes, people had celiac and needed to avoid gluten, even way back in the 80's. The 1880's.

Before the explosion of gluten free products, people like me simply suffered. We had very few bread options. And we couldn't eat out, no way, no how.

But, even with Celiac, I don't thrust my will onto others. I don't say, "NO WHEAT" on board the plane. I simply offer my pretzels to the nearest person and I sit and eat my snack mix. And if I am offered peanuts I eat them.

I'm really happy to read this. We flew a couple of weeks ago and I was amazed at how well SW handled the peanut situation.

I noted my DS's allergy online at the time I made our reservations, and while we had a fairly early flight going to WDW, I knew that when we were flying home, it could be an issue because it was a late afternoon flight.

When we checked in for our flight going to WDW, we were given pre-board authorization (for my DS and one other person), but since all 4 of us had EBCI and our boarding position was around A-30, I decided it wasn't necessary and just cleaned our area when we got on. There was actually a peanut between my seat and my DS's, but I just wedged a clorox wet wipe over it. Also, they gave me a card to hand to the flight attendant when we boarded, just to ensure that they didn't hand out peanuts and that they handed out pretzels instead.

On the way coming back, since we did RAC at our resort and didn't need to check our bags at the airport, I asked at the gate about that card to hand to the flight attendant. She was beyond accommodating and said we could all pre-board even though I told her we didn't have to do that. We had around A-30 again, but since she insisted all 4 of us pre-board, I took her up on it. While I expected to see more peanuts strewn around on this flight given the time of day, it was actually pretty spotless (still cleaned the area, of course).

The pretzels they serve actually have a cross-contamination warning, so they're not safe to consume for peanut/tree-nut allergic people, but they're not going to have a reaction from someone else eating them. Granted, people can still bring what they want onto the plane, but the fact that 75%+ of the people on the flight or previous flights aren't eating peanuts is huge in my book!

Had a similar experience at MCO for our return fight last trip. My daughter asked at the gate about peanuts and they had her and her daughter pre-board so she could clean the seat, tray with her wipes. My SIL, other DGD and I boarded with our number; we had EBCI and had ~ A35. No problem sitting in the same row as the other 2.

I can assure you my niece's peanut allergy is not a first world problem. Her missing UGG boots on the otherhand ....

You getting joy out of intentionally hoping to harm someone is beyond my comprehension. I hope none of your family members suddenly develop a life threatening food allergy and if they do, remember what karma is.

And OMG yes, ADHD was around 40 years ago - the kids were in "special" rooms, just referred to at the bad kids or dropped out. You are spot on about the safe spaces though, I'll give you that much.

So just how do you think your nasty comments and attitude are helpful here on these boards?

I have a bad allergy to scents when the parents start thinking about others with allergies I might think about leaving my peanuts home. yes my allergy is bad enough that the plane could have to be held at gate or having to land early because of me as I can not breath. epi pen does not help that and oxygen mask might not be enough. and yes I can close to making a plane have to land for EMTs to meet me. mother's reaction was too bad my child comes first and was the most upset when it became possible of not making it without stopping for me because she and her family were going to miss their flight
I'm sorry that you weren't treated kindly when you had a health issue- thats not right. I, too, am allergic to artificial scents ( among other things) but not nearly as bad as yours sounds. I only get headaches and sometimes nausea, and its very irritating!
But why wouldn't you have understanding for someone else with a life threatening allergy?

And an epi shot often doesn’t last as long as the allergic reaction. One shot isn’t going to be enough to save someone exposed to a plane full of peanut dust. They needed injected every 10 min so. The one shot is just to buy time for a squad. Well a plan has to make an emergency landing and get a squad. That takes more than 10 min an epi pen might give a person.

And an epi shot often doesn’t last as long as the allergic reaction. One shot isn’t going to be enough to save someone exposed to a plane full of peanut dust. They needed injected every 10 min so. The one shot is just to buy time for a squad. Well a plan has to make an emergency landing and get a squad. That takes more than 10 min an epi pen might give a person.
most of the people in my office have to take First Aid/CPR/AED training. when the instructor starting talking about EPI pens I went to listen; he pointed out that you should also administer Benedryl as well.

I was honestly surprised that Southwest still served peanuts. I thought major airlines had ditched them years ago. :confused3

I enjoyed the peanuts, but losing them is just not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Certainly the health and well-being of others is more important than me getting a little bag of peanuts a couple of times a year on a flight.

The amount of pleasure someone finds in joking (because I'm hoping someone wouldn't actually have the gall to do this) about intentionally making people uncomfortable and possibly put someone's life at risk is...something. Says a lot.

This has to be one of the most low-key and uncontroversial policies any company could come up with. Everybody will survive not being served peanuts on a plane. Nobody is being persecuted. We all somehow manage to survive not buying gum at Disney. Save the crusade for something actually worthwhile.

I am truly amazed they didn't stop handing out peanuts years ago, and I think it's definitely the right thing to do, even though I don't really know anyone with a peanut allergy.

This is very interesting to know and I had no idea that was the case for the injection. If this is the case shouldn't you carry more then one pen with you or maybe the airlines should have an emergency supply. Even in a best case scenario doesn't it take at least an hour to land even in an emergency situation like that?

I'm sorry that you weren't treated kindly when you had a health issue- thats not right. I, too, am allergic to artificial scents ( among other things) but not nearly as bad as yours sounds. I only get headaches and sometimes nausea, and its very irritating!
But why wouldn't you have understanding for someone else with a life threatening allergy?
because I have had many parents of peanut allergic children tell me at their child's allergy is more important than mine. I can not breath around some scents and an epi pen does not get me the extra time to get to help. this one mother was upset they were making plans to land and get me help making them miss their flight. since I didn't need an epi pen the landing was not needed. I am just loosing my understand of other allergies when I am told my child trumps yours, when I get understanding I will change my mind. the case I cite is the worse but most peanut allergy parents complain when I have my allergy listed and they can not use their wipes. ands there are unscented wipes which do the same thing for their kids. last time I looked not being able to breath is life threating

because I have had many parents of peanut allergic children tell me at their child's allergy is more important than mine. I can not breath around some scents and an epi pen does not get me the extra time to get to help. this one mother was upset they were making plans to land and get me help making them miss their flight. since I didn't need an epi pen the landing was not needed. I am just loosing my understand of other allergies when I am told my child trumps yours, when I get understanding I will change my mind. the case I cite is the worse but most peanut allergy parents complain when I have my allergy listed and they can not use their wipes. ands there are unscented wipes which do the same thing for their kids. last time I looked not being able to breath is life threating

What Betty has described is what my remarks were all about. It is not about peanuts, we all know we can live with or without them, that is not it. The point is, there are a LOT of other life-threatening allergies out there....LOTS ! Why are we saying one is more important than another? Should I not have peanuts, but eat my salad on the plane that has shellfish in it? The only reason peanuts came up, is they (Southwest) were known for serving them on their flights. I fly close to 75,000 miles a year. I always have peanut products in my backpack, always. I sometimes even eat them on planes and I don't think one bit about it. If a person has that severe of an allergy, flying may not be the best mode of transportation for them. It amazes me how short-sighted people can be when it comes to their "pet problem".

What Betty has described is what my remarks were all about. It is not about peanuts, we all know we can live with or without them, that is not it. The point is, there are a LOT of other life-threatening allergies out there....LOTS ! Why are we saying one is more important than another? Should I not have peanuts, but eat my salad on the plane that has shellfish in it? The only reason peanuts came up, is they (Southwest) were known for serving them on their flights. I fly close to 75,000 miles a year. I always have peanut products in my backpack, always. I sometimes even eat them on planes and I don't think one bit about it. If a person has that severe of an allergy, flying may not be the best mode of transportation for them. It amazes me how short-sighted people can be when it comes to their "pet problem".

Please do find time during your extensive travel schedule to let us all know when airlines are passing out individual bottles of perfume or dogs to every passenger.

Please do find time during your extensive travel schedule to let us all know when airlines are passing out individual bottles of perfume or dogs to every passenger.

I think we just all need to be civil about this as it is a sensitive subject. We should all be able to agree to disagree on subjects without getting nasty with each other. We all come to this site to discuss and reflect and get help in planning our vacations. We will not all agree on every topic and subject and that okay and allows for healthy debate but when we get aggressive with topics it makes the boards seem unwelcoming to opinions. Lets all remember we are all here ultimately for our love for Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter