Non-RunDisney 10k suggestions

Oooh - Crescent City Classic. That would actually work A LOT better with my 2016 schedule!
It also a very flat course. It's a point to point course but I believe transportation is provided back to the start after the race or from the finish to the start before. It could of been both... I'll post a link with more info when I get to a PC.

It also a very flat course. It's a point to point course but I believe transportation is provided back to the start after the race or from the finish to the start before. It could of been both... I'll post a link with more info when I get to a PC.

RnR NOLA did transportation back from City Park to around the start line.

We always stay at the JW Marriott on Canal, so it's really not that big of a deal as far as transport goes. For me, that won't make or break a race decision.

Thank you everyone for all the great suggestions! I am definitely putting these on my list. Who knows, maybe someday I'll even be brave enough to try Peachtree. I picked RnR nola, simply b/c I didn't know about the crescent city classic and I'm already registered for RnR's race. But I'm going to keep it in mind for the future. I'm glad someone mentioned a hotel to stay at because that's my next step for that race.

I just wanted to jump in real quick and clarify something about my 10-10k's list. First, I too am like many of you, there just aren't as many 10k opportunities in the Pittsburgh area - but I am going to put those in some of my neighboring cities on my list just to fill it up without having to travel too far. I went to school in Cleveland so I might do the Cleveland marathon weekend 10k also because I have family and friends there that we want to visit. It will depend on my son's baseball schedule next spring and other committments. But my main goal in asking for race suggestions was because I "use" running as an excuse to travel. I don't travel AT ALL for my job, and so I see traveling for running as if it were traveling for a job. Just one I don't get paid for! I am also "using" it as an excuse to show my son different places over the next 10 years. In fact, the earlier suggestions of the Monument Ave race and the BAA race made me realize that I'm going to do a whole "series" of historical/educational race-cations for our family (including MCM and Williamsburg Run for the Dream). The 10-10k thing though, I'm still going to try to go for that in 2016 if I can. A lot will depend on my son's school year and activities. I'm willing to travel a little further a few times a year, especially if we can visit friends or family (I have some in Oklahoma, NC, and New England so I need to look into those areas), and then I'll fill the rest with more driveable areas if possible. The Bluegrass was already on my bucketlist too, so I'm glad to see someone suggest it.

Thanks for the info! I definitely have the BR race on my list to do someday. Wish it was during football season so I could go to another game, but it gives me a reason to go back there again. :goodvibes Geaux tigers!!

Thanks for the info! I definitely have the BR race on my list to do someday. Wish it was during football season so I could go to another game, but it gives me a reason to go back there again. :goodvibes Geaux tigers!!
Having a race going through campus the day of a home game would be fun for the runners, but the tailgaters would be pissed. I get to campus around 6:30AM on game day and run "x" miles either alone or with the local running group. There is a place to shower about 2 miles from our tailgate, so I just take a bike there. After that, its party time! Which game did you get to see and more importantly, was it a night game?

Having a race going through campus the day of a home game would be fun for the runners, but the tailgaters would be pissed. I get to campus around 6:30AM on game day and run "x" miles either alone or with the local running group. There is a place to shower about 2 miles from our tailgate, so I just take a bike there. After that, its party time! Which game did you get to see and more importantly, was it a night game?
I did go to a night game and it was awesome!! It was Kent State a few years ago; I'm planning to go back there in the next couple of years, b/c it wasn't an SEC game so I didn't get the full experience. :rotfl: That being said, I loved it so much, the tailgating/people who just invited you in, food, the walk down the hill, the game... in Death Valley. :love: I did miss Mike though and they didn't bring him inside for that game either. I've been to a few games out here in CA and it doesn't even come close to the crazy awesomeness of out there.

I did go to a night game and it was awesome!! It was Kent State a few years ago; I'm planning to go back there in the next couple of years, b/c it wasn't an SEC game so I didn't get the full experience. :rotfl: That being said, I loved it so much, the tailgating/people who just invited you in, food, the walk down the hill, the game... in Death Valley. :love: I did miss Mike though and they didn't bring him inside for that game either. I've been to a few games out here in CA and it doesn't even come close to the crazy awesomeness of out there.
The environment for a big SEC match up is a lot different than the game you made. The stadium additions are complete and look great from the interior. I am glad you had a good time and experience with the LSU fan base. The food you'll find on campus is awesome. The current Mike has only made a hand full of games. They no longer force him into his cage to attend the game, so we rarely see him, although he is usually out in his habitat. If you have any questions for your next trip, or need a tailgate to hang out at, just ask. GEAUX TIGERS!

Sorry for the thread hijack.

If you can get out to the Boston area around the 4th of July holiday the finish at the 50 is another good 10k. It's run through Foxboro and the neighborhood surrounding Gillette Stadium. Although the shirt is not that good (cotton), you do get a finisher medal, and you get to finish at the Patriots' 50 yard line. As a first time and still relatively new runner I would say that most people that run this took it fairly seriously with the vast majority of people finishing faster than 10 minutes a mile. Obviously there were many people who took longer but I would say at least three quarters of people were finished at an hour or less, if that matters to you.

Not too far from you, reasonable and a well-run race: Ohio Health Emerald City Half and Quarter Marathon is held in Dublin, Ohio (Columbus area) usually the end of August each year~
Run Like a Girl in Columbus, OH usually held in October
Cap City Half-Marathon, Quarter Marathon, 5K, Columbus, Ohio April 30, 2016
Hoka Columbus 10K usually in early June

snip...
I went to school in Cleveland so I might do the Cleveland marathon weekend 10k also because I have family and friends there that we want to visit.

I don't know if you saw the announcement but there is a new challenge series for Cleveland Marathon Weekend. Since you are looking to do 10Ks the challenge would be a 5K on Saturday and 10K on Sunday. There is also an 8K/Half and 8K/Full challenge.

There is also a Hofbrauhaus 10K this weekend. It's probably too late for this year but they have over 1,000 registered runners so I suspect it will be back next year.

Well, since your willing to drive to VA for a race and you have halfs listed, I recommend Baltimore Half (might be too soon for you Oct 17th) and the Annapolis half in Nov! Also, I see you listed a 5k, well there is a Zombie Mud Run in Frederick MD on Oct 31st if you're looking for something a little different! Another (kinda close timewise though) is The Great Allegany run (15k) in Cumberland, MD. The Allegany has gorgeous scenery and is all downhill for a good PR! Gonna follow this thread for some good race suggestions! I'm a MD'er and I wouldn't mind a drive to PA or VA. What I 'd really like to do in PA is the Hershey Park Half, totally on my bucket list! ;)

Sorry about the double post, but I realize I didn't really list any 10ks which is what your truly after. Well, speak of the devil, tots forgot about this race and I just registered for it not 10 min ago! But a really popular race is Across the Bay 10k! A 10k that races across the Bay Bridge in MD!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter