Non-WDW holiday in the sun?

Sillyminny40

DIS Veteran
We love WDW and fly on airmiles every time. Do you ever go to a non-US destination, such as Mexico with your kids? Be interesting to know if you have any plans like that. We have done WDW and the price is always right compared to other places.:sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: ::MickeyMo :jumping1: :cool1:

We regularly take out kids to Mexico. All Inclusives for us are always less expensive that WDW.

Last year for example we stayed at the Occidental Grand in Cozumel with taxes for 1,100 in January. Wonderful vacation.
We wanted two rooms so we paid the adult rate for the kids but it would have been less if they had stayed in our room.

There are far less expensive vacations than that. Last Thursday I was watching the specials and the Holiday Inn Sunspree in Jamaica all inclusive was 327 plus tax...so about 540 per person.
It is 4 star and is quite nice and well worth the money...the flight alone would have been more to buy separately. Get a good travel agent who will let you know when the deals appear.

Any questions let me know. I know the properties better than our travel agent.

Rebecca

We're leaving in 2 weeks for Maui. We are staying in a 2 bedroom condo, which we got a good rate through the entertainment book. We are going on an Air Canada seat sale. I estimate that this will cost us the same as our disney world vacations, except that our disney vacations we have used aeroplan points to fly there.

We need a place where we can have five in a suite, we loved the Gala in Playacar. (Mayan Riveria). If you can suggest something that is wonderful. Hawaii is a good idea too as we have aerogold points too. We need a change from Orlando even though we love it there. Thanks...

We went to the Dominican Republic last year on a sell off for $800 a person (including all taxes). We don't have any children but there were many at the resort.

I have been thinking the same thing - have done Disney enough (for now) and want to try an all inclusive. I see the last min. sell offs in the Toronto Star and wonder if anyone has ever used exit.ca. I see deals there but wonder if you can really get it for that price.

My dh wants us to try a last minute thing, and I still don't trust it with three kids to consider. Five in a room is a challenge and I hope to see this as a special topic board at disboards one day.

If you are getting a great deal all-inclusive you just tell them you have 3 in one room and two in another with adjoining suites.

The rates are always based on double occupancy.

That way you get two rooms.

For instance they might say they'll only charge you 699 for the flight plus tax, for the kids but the room rate is say 799 plus tax. It may cost you 200 for two of the kids to travel as adults but you get two rooms and two BATHROOMS for the week out of the deal and the kids can go to bed earlier and you can still have some privacy!

We booked our trip 8 days in advance last year.

This was my strategy. About 5 weeks before our scheduled time off I started reading all the travel ads in the paper and calling around to different places to see what they could offer. Most told me to keep waiting to get the best deal. You'll notice that several resorts are in numerous different ads. I did a lot of internet research and had a list of the top 5 places I wanted to go.
I then made contact with a travel agent who's office was about 5 minutes from my house. Told her where we wanted to go (D.R. or Cuba) what level hotel we wanted (4* at least) and when we could leave. Sat, Sun or Mon. (Depends on the charters).
She then called every Saturday with the latest offers she had received. We ended up at a 5* for 50% off what friends of ours had paid the previous summer.

If you are flexible and patient you can save $$$.

Good luck!

What a lot of work you did! But it was worth it. What about five in a room? That is a challenge for us as we have to have a suite or two rooms side by side. Thanks.

It was definitely worth it to save 50%. As for 5 in a room I think it would depend on the individual resort. Our room only had one Queen sized bed.

This is a great website if you are interested in the D.R.
www.debbiesdominicantravel.com :sunny:

My DH and I just returned from Punta Cana in the DR last Sunday. We travelled on a last minute deal, which I knew we would be able to get this time of year. It is a very slow time. We booked on Tuesday and flew on Saturday. Both of us went for $1600 Cdn all inclusive. We did not take our children. I repeat we did not take our children. However, we were in a suite that would have easily accommodated our family of 4, (2 double beds and a day bed and we could have gotten a roll away as well!). We would have had lots of room for the 4 of us. But I repeat, that was not necessary, so it just gave my DH and I lots of room to spread out. The whole week we were there I just kept thinking about how bored my two DS's 9 and 12 would have been. The main excitement for them would have been food and snorkelling. The kids group was oriented to much younger children. We have promised them a repeat trip to WDW for Christmas this year to make up for the fact that they didn't get to go to the Dominican with us.

I was a travel agent from 1982 -1994, my ex hubby is still an agent and specializes in last minute trips.

I have been to the Dominican Republic at least 15 times, Santo Domingo, Punta Cana, Puerto Plata, La Romano, Sosua.. I have even been to Haiti (other side of the island)

This is a pretty cheap place to go, there are some really good deals out there and the hotels are clean, the food is okay, good value for your money... Dominican people are lovely.

Islands I prefer are Grand Cayman, Turks & Caicos, Antigua, St Kitt's, Barbados, St. Lucia, British & US Virgin Islands ~ but they are more expensive.

Mexico, I love Puerto Vallarta, Cancun, Ixtapa, Manzanillo.. I can't stand Acapulco... what an awful place for families. :eek:

I have been to Cuba 4 times (in the Veradero area) and have enjoyed every trip, the beaches are gorgeous also very good value for your dollar. If you have not tried Cuba you should consider it.

I hate the Bahamas and Jamaica ~ because of the pushy people.. you can't leave your hotel without being pestered or harassed by locals.

My daughter has never been bored in the Caribbean, we alternate from the pool to the ocean, there are activities for kids and shows at night, fun things like crab races...etc... but it is definately a relaxation holiday.. not a Go GO GO week like Disney and I can see where some people may get bored.

>>^..^<<

I used to work for Air Canada...:sunny:

but we love Jamaica..that being said, we don't usually leave resort property...once we're there, it just seems like too much effort !:D

Thanks all for the info! Debbie, that is very helpful thanks! MBB I appreciate your comments. I will check out the sites mentioned. I love "I repeat no children" phrase.
DH has mentioned he would like to use our aerogold points up and suggests we look at Disneyland or Orlando. I love WDW but need a break!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter