Northeastern dismisses 11 students

Every year, this kind of thing happens. Not due to a pandemic (first time for everything); but due to young adults not knowing how to adult, being out from under mom's thumb for the first time.

My kid would be working to pay back that money, I can guarantee that. This momma doesn't play that game.

That's a bit harsh but there is no missing the point.

Personally, I would LOVE to see fines being handed out left and right to recover money from lost taxes, make it slide-scale just like they do with bail and use photos just like with traffic laws and running a red light. I pay taxes and would rather scofflaws shoulder the costly burden to society than normal people trying to do their best. It's all fun & games until you need to put your money where your mouth is

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

The university likely declined other students to allow those 11 to attend. The university should not take the financial hit due to students not observing the rules they signed up to.
It's nice to see some back bone for a change. They aren't playing around.

This article has a link showing that it's tuition for only one semester. :eek: I wonder if these 11 will also lose any scholarships they currently have, for spring semester. Don't most scholarships have contingencies, like they forfeit their future semesters scholarship if they don't attend the previous semester? And that they have to keep their GPA up? (Mine did when I went to NYU.) Hard to do if they aren't even able to attend now.

11 other students could have had those scholarships instead.

https://news.yahoo.com/northeastern-university-dismisses-11-students-161834553.html

Ridiculous overreaction! I thought the story was going to be that they were the organizers of some massive Covid party on campus. Sounds like it was a small group of kids hanging out in their friends hotel “dorm” room. If I was a parent I’d be livid at the school. This is getting out of hand if 11 kids can’t hang out together as friends. I get together and hang out with my friends in larger groups than that at friends homes. I cannot believe we are “criminalizing” this type of behavior. At this point I’m far more concerned with our loss of freedom than this virus! I’m not a Covid denier, I do believe it’s real but the absolute fear and hysteria around it baffles me. The vast majority have absolutely no symptoms or very mild cold like symptoms. I’m not changing my entire life for fear of a virus that I’ll most likely not even know I have!

Ridiculous overreaction! I thought the story was going to be that they were the organizers of some massive Covid party on campus. Sounds like it was a small group of kids hanging out in their friends hotel “dorm” room. If I was a parent I’d be livid at the school. This is getting out of hand if 11 kids can’t hang out together as friends. I get together and hang out with my friends in larger groups than that at friends homes. I cannot believe we are “criminalizing” this type of behavior. At this point I’m far more concerned with our loss of freedom than this virus! I’m not a Covid denier, I do believe it’s real but the absolute fear and hysteria around it baffles me. The vast majority have absolutely no symptoms or very mild cold like symptoms. I’m not changing my entire life for fear of a virus that I’ll most likely not even know I have!

I think it would be different if they were outside, socially distancing and wearing masks. The fact that they were in a small space with no masks and no social distancing is exactly what the experts are telling us not to do. It's these small get togethers that are spreading the virus. People drop their guard at small gatherings and the virus spreads. experts have said this is what will cause major outbreaks.

I really feel for these young kids not getting the true college experience, it stinks that such a huge milestone in growing up was taken from them. But, they knew what they signed up for and apparently it was made clear that certain rules had to be followed.

11 people in a hotel room is not a "small group."

The school was very clear regarding the consequences for this type of behavior. If people are worried about this infringing on their "freedom" they can find a different school.
“Cooperation and compliance with public health guidelines is absolutely essential,” said Madeleine Estabrook, senior vice chancellor for student affairs, said in a statement. “Those people who do not follow the guidelines—including wearing masks, avoiding parties and other gatherings, practicing healthy distancing, washing your hands and getting tested—are putting everyone else at risk.”

The university noted that students in the N.U.in program have repeatedly been warned to practice social distancing, stay out of crowds and wear masks around other people. Students were also asked to acknowledge reviewing the program’s handbook, which included a ban on “guests, visitors or additional occupants” in students’ rooms to contain the spread of COVID-19.

Estabrook addressed the rules in an Aug. 28 letter to students.

“Students who host an unsafe (no masks and without healthy distancing) gathering, social or party, either on or off-campus can expect suspension,” she wrote. “Students who attend an unsafe gathering, social or party, either on or off-campus, can expect suspension.”
https://news.yahoo.com/northeastern-university-dismisses-11-students-161834553.html

It's steep but at least the University is willing to make that decision. The catch to me is you cannot show leniency to other students when you've opted to actually truly enforce and swiftly the University rules. This University (and all others) better be willing to do this for every other student out there that disobeys the COVID-19 safety plans. Seems fine to me to do what they did just can see how easily it would be to eventually slide back into not being as strict especially if pressures from alumni, parents, other students, and any other media written about it as we know that can create waves.

I'm really over people thinking rules don't apply to them. Especially when the ability of schools to even remain open is on the line. This is serious business.
I was glad to see what KU did with the greek community in their public health bans and for others quarantine requirements. I don't think they've suspended anyone yet to my knowledge at least.

I'm really over people thinking rules don't apply to them. Especially when the ability of schools to even remain open is on the line. This is serious business.

Me too. I keep hearing them say on the news that this Labor Day weekend will set the tone for the fall. It could all hit the fan in a few weeks if we mess this up. I have a feeling we will mess it up due to folks thinking the rules don't apply to them.

In my own town I have seen multiple gatherings/cookouts, kids from different families hanging out together with no masks, crowds at the beach with few wearing masks and no social distancing. We really let our collective guard down I think. I get that its a long weekend and the summer is winding down, and people want one last hurrah, but I am uneasy about how it's being done just from what little I have observed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter