Northeastern dismisses 11 students

I get that they are guests but again my ds was put in to a "home" with 9 strangers 3 weeks ago. So they were all guests at one point in time. They also do not go everywhere together which means they are all going to their classes and to the dining hall and to (possibly)other's dorms or frat houses as individuals not as one big group. They are still at risk of exposure and exposing their housemates just like any other group of students who may just get together for a night in a hotel room.
I get why it's different at NE however I still think it's extreme to kick out a group of 11 for getting together. If you don't then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

And how's the COVID rate there? No rules about frat houses, etc?

Update: Looks like Northeastern reversed it’s decision on most of the tuition

https://www.boston.com/news/coronav...first-year-students-stand-but-credits-tuition

Too bad - now the kids think they can get away with breaking rules yet again.

The university kept $8,800 each. Not all was forgiven.

$8,800 would certainly teach my kids a lesson.
Really depends on how the parents handle it. If the students were paying the full amount hmmm I mean maybe but still lot of it was forgiven. If the parents paid for it depends on how the parents handled it.

I guess I sorta understand at least the rationale they gave which was: "The university recognizes that the incident at issue occurred prior to the beginning of the semester, before classes began, and the sanctions result in a loss of access to university resources and tuition" but again like I said in my first comment you gotta be consistent. So one day it was okay-ish to do because classes hadn't officially started even though they were staying in 'campus/student housing' grounds and then the day the classes started all of a sudden that student that got caught (hypothetical) now has their entire tuition forfeited? I think the University just set themselves up for the a "BUT" clause. "BUT those students didn't have all their tuition kept so why should mine"

But hey maybe it'll end up working out to being a deterrent, who knows?

Don't know how the rate is because so far only 120 students have been tested out of almost 3000.
No frat parties but you are still allowed to visit other dorms. And the no frat parties rule means nothing, clearly college kids are willing to break rules. Besides, bars are open and kids are congregating in parking lots, not to mention going to friends with off campus apartments. They are all at risk for exposure, therefore putting any roommate or housemates they have at risk.
That doesn't change my point though, 11 kids got together, that is no different than 10 kids hanging out in their shared living room.

Last edited:

People on Mizzou's parents' Facebook page were complaining that their kids had received $150 fines for violating Covid policy. I think $8800 would be a pretty big deterrent. :lmao:

Not shocked at all they backed off. Probably intended to all along. They got everyone's attention with the initial announcement. And I'm sure it helped accomplish what they set out to do.

At my daughter’s college you cant visit other dorms, no more than 12 indoors off campus (that’s the city’s ordinance).

Don't know how the rate is because so far only 120 students have been tested out of almost 3000.
No frat parties but you are still allowed to visit other dorms. And the no frat parties rule means nothing, clearly college kids are willing to break rules. Besides, bars are open and kids are congregating in parking lots, not to mention going to friends with off campus apartments. They are all at risk for exposure, therefore putting any roommate or housemates they have at risk.
That doesn't change my point though, 11 kids got together, that is no different than 10 kids hanging out in their shared living room.

10 in a shared living room because they are living together is different than 11 random students getting together in one room.

Sometimes you have a situation where both parties are wrong. The kids were wrong to break the rules and the school was wrong to attempt to keep the full tuition. The students have gone home and they have lost thousands of dollars- just not forty thousand. I don't think the students got away with anything.

I’m not surprised they backed off on the financial part - probably because they didn’t want to deal with lawsuits from the parents. But the kids are still suspended, so the message is still clear to other students. And I’m sure the amount was prorated somehow, so the later in the semester you screw up, the more money you’ll still lose.

10 in a shared living room because they are living together is different than 11 random students getting together in one room.
Curious, why is that different?

Is it because 10 people interacting with hundreds through the day and gathering together because they live together is safe but 11 people interacting with hundreds through the day and gathering together when they don't live together is a death sentence? I am still trying to work through all this with how the virus picks and chooses. This makes as much sense as how drinking a beer is dangerous but drinking a beer while sucking the ketchup off a french fry is safe.

Curious, why is that different?

Is it because 10 people interacting with hundreds through the day and gathering together because they live together is safe but 11 people interacting with hundreds through the day and gathering together when they don't live together is a death sentence? I am still trying to work through all this with how the virus picks and chooses. This makes as much sense as how drinking a beer is dangerous but drinking a beer while sucking the ketchup off a french fry is safe.
It’s the same concept of keeping younger kids in cohorts at school, trying to prevent interactions, and if someone in that cohort gets ill, quarantine them all. My daughter has 5 roommates, if one gets sick they will all be tested and quarantine. No one is expected to interact with hundreds throughout the day.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

College campuses in the US have put stringent measures in place so that no student is around hundreds of other students each day. Therefore, their roommates whether on campus or off are their closest contacts and are in minimal contact with others on campus.

Students have a mix of hybrid classes (some days a group goes to a socially distanced class in person while a group of students in the same class are watching on line) and in person socially distanced classes and all on line classes.

There are no longer large auditoriums of a hundred or more students. Those auditoriums are reduced to 25 socially distant students, if that.

There are not hundreds of students passing each other on the way to class. Those going in person at any one time are greatly reduced.

Getting meals is a quick pick up and eat outside or back in your room.

There are not a lot of big events on campus to gather hundreds of students in one spot. There are not crowded football stadiums or gyms.

College campuses look much different this year.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

College campuses in the US have put stringent measures in place so that no student is around hundreds of other students each day. Therefore, their roommates whether on campus or off are their closest contacts and are in minimal contact with others on campus.

Students have a mix of hybrid classes (some days a group goes to a socially distanced class in person while a group of students in the same class are watching on line) and in person socially distanced classes and all on line classes.

There are no longer large auditoriums of a hundred or more students. Those auditoriums are reduced to 25 socially distant students, if that.

There are not hundreds of students passing each other on the way to class. Those going in person at any one time are greatly reduced.

Getting meals is a quick pick up and eat outside or back in your room.

There are not a lot of big events on campus to gather hundreds of students in one spot. There are not crowded football stadiums or gyms.

College campuses look much different this year.
Agree with this, although I'm sure there is some variance from school to school due to different infection rates in communities.

We were just back at DD's university a couple of weeks ago. Her school is the University of Central Florida, which is the largest public university in the US with close to 70,000 students in normal times. Even with Covid, there are a lot of students on campus, and they move about whether or not they are in classes.

UCF has a required mask policy any time you are on campus and outside of your dorm room. We saw a very few violations, and most of those were a lone student in an open area, nowhere near anyone else. Students walk out of their way to avoid close contact and mask compliance was very good.

Even in more congested areas like the student union and the two mall-like centers, there was plenty of separation and the Knights were "Armored Up."

Agree with this, although I'm sure there is some variance from school to school due to different infection rates in communities.

We were just back at DD's university a couple of weeks ago. Her school is the University of Central Florida, which is the largest public university in the US with close to 70,000 students in normal times. Even with Covid, there are a lot of students on campus, and they move about whether or not they are in classes.

UCF has a required mask policy any time you are on campus and outside of your dorm room. We saw a very few violations, and most of those were a lone student in an open area, nowhere near anyone else. Students walk out of their way to avoid close contact and mask compliance was very good. R

Even in more congested areas like the student union and the two mall-like centers, there was plenty of separation and the Knights were "Armored Up."
This. Remember that social distancing is part of the protection policy.

This. Remember that social distancing is part of the protection policy.

Yes, masks and social distancing are now so entrenched in my life and our family's life (even my 3 college students) that it's just a given now to me that masks and social distancing is done and doesn't need to be stated that it's done, but I guess it does need to be said on a message board with people from all over.

Yes, my 3 college kids are social distancing and wearing masks everywhere when not in their own living space.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter