not sure if this is the correct board - Magic Bands - pros / cons of putting credit card on it

disneyholic family

disney on my mind....
the title says it all...

i'm wondering if people have opinions on whether to have your magic band authorized with a credit card..

that is, do you think it's a good idea or not to be able to use your magic band for charging?

we'll be there next week, and i was wondering if i should or not...

i'm probably overthinking.. :confused:

You aren't putting your cc info on your MB...per se. You are leaving it on file, with Disney. Then, your MB connects with that file. So, there's no reason not to leave a cc for charging. If you lost your MB, no one else would be able to use it. They would need your pin number to use it.

We are thinking of doing it this trip. I will say, we did it one other time and it was a GIANT cluster. GIANT. With a few hours spent at the front desk at Pop to sort it all out. I have not done it since because of that. I am hopeful, possibly, that in the last 4 or so years, the cluster has died. Maybe. Hopefully.

We are thinking of doing it this trip. I will say, we did it one other time and it was a GIANT cluster. GIANT. With a few hours spent at the front desk at Pop to sort it all out. I have not done it since because of that. I am hopeful, possibly, that in the last 4 or so years, the cluster has died. Maybe. Hopefully.

that's sort of what happened to us a few years back....i don't think we had a MB at the time...i think it was just the regular old KTTW...
but we had dining plan credits as well as charging on the key....
and a CM screwed up and charged us for our food instead of deducting the credits...
as you say, a royal cluster...
that's one of the things that worries me...
that they'll charge real money instead of deducting the credits....people say it can't happen, but it did....

but as another poster wrote, it's so much more convenient to be able to charge on your key/MB...

we haven't put charging privileges on our key/MB since that happened to us a few years back...
and the loss of the convenience was really annoying..
on the other hand, we'll be on the dining plan again this time...

decisions decisions..

another question...

is it only the adult MBs that have charging privileges?

that is to say, the 3 year old isn't going to have it on his MB is he?

another question...

is it only the adult MBs that have charging privileges?

that is to say, the 3 year old isn't going to have it on his MB is he?

If you assign a card for charging privileges, you also have to assign a PIN to each MB. So, you don't give the 3-year old charging privileges or a PIN. I actually assign charging privileges and a PIN to my DS9's MB. He has no clue though. I only do it in case something goes wrong with my MB. We've had many issues with charging on MB's throughout the years (mostly in the early years of MB) and I ALWAYS carry a credit card and cash with me as well in case the system goes down. In short, you don't have to assign a cc. As others have said, it's just a convenience (if it works!).

We always have a credit card assigned to our account. It is so easy (maybe too easy!) to use your MagicBand. Our kids have PINs but I don't think I was prompted to add the PIN until they were 10+. Neither of them knows they have a PIN, though!

I think it's a lot safer to use the MB than to use a credit card. You don't have your credit card out all the time, so there's less potential for it to be compromised.

The only negative I can think of about charging with the MB is that it's so easy to do, you lose track of how much you're spending!

We do it every trip. The resorts cap how much you can spend total before you have to go and "clear" it at the front desk. I think the amount differs from values to moderates to deluxe. Like maybe $1500 for moderates if I remember correctly. We don't have it put on our kids bands, just the ones for DH and I. It makes life a lot simpler, I think.

How do you know if the pin has been assigned to each band? How can I check this. I just attached my cc the other day to the magic bands and added the pin but now I don't know if it's attached to all four of our bands or maybe just mine?
'

Remember, it is sooooo easy to run your bill up with doing this. It is awesome. And that is what Disney loves! I do it every time, but remember to keep a check on the "pay and go" method that this is.

How do you know if the pin has been assigned to each band? How can I check this. I just attached my cc the other day to the magic bands and added the pin but now I don't know if it's attached to all four of our bands or maybe just mine?
'

All four. At least that's how it works for us.

We always charge everything back to the room. I secure the charging privileges with a cc, but always pay them off with gift cards before we leave. We generally go during Food and Wine and it is so convenient at the booths to just scan the band instead of dig in the backpack for my wallet and get a cc or gc out to swipe.

The band is soooo easy to simply swipe and charge to room.. A credit card, you take out and actually think more " hey I am spending money".. Hence our room charges are crazy, but it's our own fault... It's a self control thing...

Great benefit is for the water parks.. no need to carry money or a credit card around.... some in parks you can technically go with only the band... no wallet etc... in a way nice.

We have been charging to the room for years and really never had any problems. I will go down every 2-3 days to payoff the balance with our GCs and also have them print out a copy of the detail charges so I can keep track and also make sure no "other" charges are were on it. Only DW and I have the charging privilege.

We always authorize our Magicbands with the credit card. We just simply love the convenience of it. It's one extra thing that we don't have to carry or worry about losing while in the parks. Plus, it's just faster and easier: need a quick snack before that FP time runs out? Go to a QS, tap the Mickey, and you're off :)

the title says it all...

i'm wondering if people have opinions on whether to have your magic band authorized with a credit card..

that is, do you think it's a good idea or not to be able to use your magic band for charging?

we'll be there next week, and i was wondering if i should or not...

i'm probably overthinking.. :confused:

It is really nice to be able to charge to your MagicBand because then you don't have to worry about using and losing a credit card or cash. This is especially handy when at the resort pool. You don't have to bring any money down to the pool with you. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!