Now Dan may not go to university next year *Update Pg 2*

You know what Julie, another year at high school isn't going to hurt Dan. Especially since he has other friends who are going back next year too. I really don't have a problem with Laura waiting a year - I sure as heck didn't know what I wanted to do with my life when I was 17. The pressure on these kids has been tremendous. Half of my dd's class is returning to high school next year even though they could graduate. Many are just going back for one semester, some of them are going back to play football or basketball also, in the hopes of getting sports scholarships. Now that the decision is made, enjoy this extra time with Dan. He'll be gone soon enough.

BTW, who is going with you on your trip to WDW this Oct.?

I don't know if your schools offer this or not but at my school a lot of people are going back for one semester to bring up their marks and using the other one for co-op. I found a lot of people really like co-op and decide then if they really want to go into that field. After co-op is done many of them get a job with that company for the summer which helps with college/university money.

Hi Julie,
I'm sure Dan feels much better now that he's made a final decision. Now he can concentrate on his upcoming exams and the summer ahead. My DS had two exams today and his last one is tomorrow. I can't believe it's all over. Wasn't it just last week that they started grade 9??

Tash, we did talk about Co-Op with Dan's guidance councellor yesterday but he'll think more that when he decides what classes he wants to take and the schedule comes out.

That's a lot to have 3 exams in 2 days, Nancy. Dan has calculus on Thursday and Physics on Monday and then he's finished. Tim has one tomorrow, Thursday and Monday. I can't believe summer holidays are just about here!!

You know, I almost feel like I've been given a reprieve, that I'm not going to lose my son just yet. As he has matured we've started doing a few little things together, lately. (Tim is still at the stage where he tries not to be seen with me. :rolleyes: ) It will be nice to build on that over the next year.

Peggy, I'm planning on going solo for my October trip.

Too bad he isn't willing to give anything else a try. I went to Carleton and loved it! It was just like highschool but more freedom. They had great residences and the food was actually good too. I too dodn't get into my first choice university but decided to go to carleton. I got my sociolgy degree in Ottawa and decided to go to Uof T for another degree in Psych... they accepted 14 credits from my Soc degree as transferable and I was able to obtain my second degree in just over a year.
My advice is that he goes elsewhere for one year and gets some credits under his belt ... as they are some that are transferable... no matter where you go like english , psych, soc....
if not tell him to find out if Western has a January enterance like some other schools do.... it might be easier to get in. Only fall back is he'll miss Frosh week and stuff.
Good Luck with it all. University life can be scary as it is such a change but it is well worth the experience. I think all kids should live away from home if they can afford it for at least one university year. Makes them appreciate what they have at home more!

Thanks Suzanne! This is the first big decision that Dan has had to make. Maybe down the line he will regret it, but hopefully it will turn out to be the best decision he's ever made. He's such a sensitive soul and I think another year to mature can only bode him well before stepping "out there".

I went to Mac for first year and hated it so I transfered back home and went to Western I took Kin and Psych and then dropped out after 3 years and never did finnish. I am not sad that I never went back I have my family and a great job at a great company and not doing anything to what I figured I wanted to. I am kinda glad actually as I really don't think I could have lasted for 7 years in University I was getting way to much out of the social part and never spending any time in class. I graduated OAC with an 87 average and even missed roughly 100 days of school but because my marks were good the school never said anything about it. I loved Western and if Dan gets accepted after next year I am sure he will love it there to I even have a great residence he can live in that is only about 2 blocs from the school just down from the hospital on Western Rd my inlaws own it and rent it out to students. I did finish my 3 years with a high B average though so that was ok. It is really tough trying to decide what you want to do with your life and where to go to school and it is a big dissapointment if you do not get accepted to your school of choice I am glad I went to university when I did it seems realy different now mind you I do notice Western is adopting the curriculum that Harvard runs for their business school and also the way it runs the acceptance for it aswell.

No problem let me know if you want to go look at it anytime next year and I will arrange it for you

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter