NY to Lorton on a Monday, What time to leave home???

singitalto

<font color=FF66FF>Can't wait to stay at the Beach
I have autotrain tickets on hold for our trip in Sept. I have to make up my mind by Wednesday. We live an hour away from NYC, What time should we leave to get to the train in Lorton VA by 1PM(have to check in the latest by 2 pm) . If we leave at 6 am will that give us enough time considering we have to pass through NYC and DC???

Originally posted by singitalto
I have autotrain tickets on hold for our trip in Sept. I have to make up my mind by Wednesday. We live an hour away from NYC, What time should we leave to get to the train in Lorton VA by 1PM(have to check in the latest by 2 pm) . If we leave at 6 am will that give us enough time considering we have to pass through NYC and DC???

We drive from the Paramus, NJ area to Lorton, but we usually drive down on a Saturday to avoid the weekday rush hours in NY and DC.

Last July we left around 7:15 am and made it to Lorton by noon. We made two very short rest stops (probably about 20 minutes total). We also had absolutely no traffic along the way except for a 10 minute slowdown right before Alexandria.
We had plenty of time to wait around the station before departure, but it was better than leaving a little later and worrying about arriving on time if we hit a traffic tie-up (we were especially concerned about the Saturday morning NJ shore bound traffic, but it wasn't a problem since we took the NJ turnpike the entire way instead of dealing with the GSPkway to the NJTpke)

We're leaving on a Saturday again this August and plan on the same time frame. It sounds like your timing might work out, but you know what traffic is like in your area on a workday - and it is only worse around DC during workday morning rush.

If it were me, I'd push up that departure time to 5 AM and go have breakfast or lunch along the way if it left me with more time than I needed.

We are leaving in August from South Jersey. Have had luck on leaving Sat morning with no traffic at about 8:30. Arrive about 12:00........check in and kept the car and have lunch at the Polo Club which is about 5 minutes away. Real nice place.
ANY OF YOU CONCERNED ABOUT AMTRAK'S RECENT FINANCIAL PROBLEMS AND THE MENTION OF DISCONTINUING SERVICE IN JULY.........

We have tickets for Aug and would hate to drive all the way down? Anyone have an additional info about the auto train.
Thanks

ANY OF YOU CONCERNED ABOUT AMTRAK'S RECENT FINANCIAL PROBLEMS AND THE MENTION OF DISCONTINUING SERVICE IN JULY.........

That was another concern of mine, that I would buy the Amtrak tickets and then had no service but have my money tied up. Would we get an immediate refund of the worst case scenario happened?? Anyone know??

Hi Singitalto
I agree with your response. Interesting you living in Deer Park. My brother lives in Deer Park and is a music teacher!
Best of luck on your trip

If it's possible for you to leave on Sunday, I would drive down then and stay at a hotel near the station. There is a hotel in Lorton, a Comfort Inn (8180 Silverbrook Rd.Lorton, VA 22079
(703)643-3100 ). Even if you get there late in the evening, you will be well rested for the trip instead of worrying about getting through all the rush hour traffic on Monday. IMO it would be worth it.:cool:

We will be taking the AutoTrain August 18 and 30. Can't wait. We will be driving from Catasauqua, PA (around Allentown) early Sunday morning for the afternoon ride. This will be our first time on the AutoTrain. We went coach from Philly 5 years ago. This time we have a Deluxe Sleeper. :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Disneyholic - I was thinking the same thing. Instead of leaving at like 5 am to make sure we make it to Lorton by 1PM ish on Monday, we could leave Sunday afternoon and get a good nights rest before the trip.
I was going to try priceline for a hotel room(I have used priceline MANY successful times!!!!) Just in case this is not another priceline success, have you stayed at the hotel you told me about or did you just research it?? I will look into it for a back up hotel. Thanks!!
Oh yea, I'm jealous-LOL!!! A deluxe sleeper, Lucky you, we are sqqeeking by with getting coach.(budget is an issue) ;)
We also went Amtrak last year, this is our first time for the autotrain.

According to Amtrak.....the end of this month should be info pertaining to whether the funds are going to come through for Amtrak. According to the person I spoke to if they shut down service in July..........it means all Amtrak service including the Auto Train. They believe the funds will come through....however she did mention that all ticket holders will receive refunds if they do stop service.

Not that I'm worrying....but we enjoyed the leisurely trip down on the Auto Train and the fact is for the money it's worth it.

If anyone else has info....let us know.

Singitalto- No I haven't stayed at this hotel, but it is on the list of Hotels in the Entertainment section of the Disney Club online. They have Disney Club Entertainment Discounts for Disney Club members for weeknights. Friday and Saturday are the weekend nights. I think Sunday is a weeknight. I just liked the idea that it is so close to the station. I looked into other hotels in the area through AAA and all were on main highways that could still cause problems with backups or accidents on the way.

The Deluxe sleeper is actually cheaper for us than 2 standard sleepers. There are 3 of us (DH, DS-15, and me) and the Deluxe is the only one that will hold all of us together. DH said he didn't want to go coach again, because he has to sleep next to a stranger and is afraid he will roll over on them in his sleep. LOL Besides we are celebrating our 30th Anniversary at Disney, so we planned to spend a little more this year.

I know how it feels to squeak. We didn't take vacations for a long time and when we did it was mostly camping since it is so cheap. 5 years ago was our first time at Disney for our 25th Anniversary. This will be our 4th time. Can't wait:D

I deceided that driving down Sunday and staying overnight was better for us that leaving at 5Am Monday morning- especially since we are not morning people.

So I went on priceline (after checking with www.biddingfortravel.com ) and won a room at Sheraton Suites Alexandria for $45 night ($55 total with the service charge and taxes) I think this will make for the start of a good vacation!!!

I just want to thank everyone for all their help!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter