NYC Marathon?

Anyone who has done the race have any advice on best place to stay. I am thinking somewhere in the Central Park south area where you can walk back from the finish line.

Yes, as close to the finish line as you can. You actually won't be able to exit the park until you've walked a full mile from the finish line (you have to walk all the way up to 77th street to get out of the park, and then back down to 72nd to get out of the roped off area), so the closest you can be to there, the happier you'll be.

Yes, as close to the finish line as you can. You actually won't be able to exit the park until you've walked a full mile from the finish line (you have to walk all the way up to 77th street to get out of the park, and then back down to 72nd to get out of the roped off area), so the closest you can be to there, the happier you'll be.

Yeah that was a killer. If you select bag check, you have to walk farther than the folks who did not. After I collected my bag, I sat down on a curb and changed/cleaned up a bit, then continued out of the runner only area to meet up with family. I think that took almost an hour. If you are back of the pack like I was, it will be getting dark at this point.

Wow I didn't realize the exit was that far up and it looks like most hotels are down south of the park so walking back may not be an option.

I did NYC this past year. I got in as a time qualifier. I have done many marathons and NYC wasn't my favorite. The congestion for the first 8 miles was frustrating and I am used to big races.

I stayed in the Times square Area (Hilton) and that was a blast. It was a 5 minute walk to the buses on race morning and a very easy subway ride after the finish. Yes, you do walk so far to get "out" of the finishing area. NYC is so, so big--I think a walk back to a hotel could be challenging especially considering what stage of hurting you are in.

I did the 9+1 to get in, the lottery was a bust for me. I actually qualified with 9+1 a second year in a row but my sister decided to have her wedding that day so it was wasted. I WOULD be more sympathetic to them not doing the three strikes you're in anymore if they didn't charge just to enter the lottery and so on principle I will not sign up for it.

I have REALLY good luck with the Marine Corps Marathon lottery, though, and they don't charge you anything to enter.

I wish I still lived close enough to do the 9+1 option. Having grown up near NYC, it's definitely a bucket list race for me. I've entered 2 years in a row and not made it in. The entry fee for the privilege to be in the lottery is starting to irk me now. Marine Corps is on my list too- maybe next year!

For those of you running. Which transportation option did you select? I signed up for the ferry but wondering if I should of done the bus since I am staying up nearer the park. I thought the ferry would be cooler

For those of you running. Which transportation option did you select? I signed up for the ferry but wondering if I should of done the bus since I am staying up nearer the park. I thought the ferry would be cooler

I did the ferry last year. It was more interesting than the bus, but if the bus is more convenient for you, I don't think the ferry is that exciting.

I was in the last Wave, so I think I was scheduled on the 7:15 ferry. The terminal was mayhem. You could barely get inside, so I was thankful that the weather was nice and I could wait outside. It also turned out that I didn't have to wait, as they weren't checking scheduled times and just letting on people whenever they wanted. Once off the ferry, I got in a very long line for a bus. The bus ride itself took about 45 minutes if I remember correctly. I didn't get to the starting area until around 10, and came very close to missing bag check. There was one truck left accepting bags. The whole thing felt very rushed and made me anxious, but for all I know the buses could be a similar experience! :confused3

Anyone who has done the race have any advice on best place to stay. I am thinking somewhere in the Central Park south area where you can walk back from the finish line.
I used to do a trade show in NY there were always a lot of runners at the Helmsley Park lane. I think we stayed at the Sheraton which was just a bit farther south. It was a little bit of a hike in the morning to catch the bus at the library.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!