NYT op-ed video on DL living wage

One of the reasons I stopped vacationing at WDW was due to their low wages. I actually felt bad blowing through so much money while also knowing the low wages they were paying their Castmembers.

but do you employ that strategy everywhere? Disney was already paying their CMs above minimum wage and now will be well above that ... so do you avoid every place that has minimum wage paying jobs?

Simply put - there is no reason that someone in this country should work 40 hours a week and still not be able to support themselves without government assistance. Minimum wage should be set at a level that people can realistically live on (housing, food, utilities, healthcare, necessities). If companies are not paying workers what it would take to do so, then the responsibility falls on tax payers to ensure people have their basic needs met (and when they don't all kinds of other problems ensue...crime, further issues in the education system, etc.). Without some government regulation (labor laws, minimum wage, etc.), the situation would be worse particularly for those with the least (this also is evident in things like civil rights issues). To fix this issue and redistribute the wealth in the country in a more equitable way, it will mean that people will have to care about others' needs above their own desires (note there is a different between needs and desires) and act on it. This will not happen. Those that have the power to make the changes are also those who will not allow it to happen. In 10 years when Disney raises minimum wage again, there will be a thread on the DIS that looks just like this one.

It affected everyone because it was largely caused by government policy, not a corrupt banking industry.

Yes. And I don't want anymore "help" from this govt. in the form of regulations.

maybe we could use something like "2 times the poverty level" or something

That sounds reasonable, what does that make it about 12 - 13$ per hour? Now how does it get implemented? What about those living it areas that cost alot more than others? Would this be applicable to 40 hour per week employees only? What about 15-16 year olds just joining the work force?

One of the reasons I stopped vacationing at WDW was due to their low wages. I actually felt bad blowing through so much money while also knowing the low wages they were paying their Castmembers.

Is this the best idea? If everyone did this realize about 50,000 people in the Orlando area would lose their job.

but do you employ that strategy everywhere? Disney was already paying their CMs above minimum wage and now will be well above that ... so do you avoid every place that has minimum wage paying jobs?

There are plenty of boycott lists out there so I don't see why this is unfeasable

That sounds reasonable, what does that make it about 12 - 13$ per hour? Now how does it get implemented? What about those living it areas that cost alot more than others? Would this be applicable to 40 hour per week employees only? What about 15-16 year olds just joining the work force?
It depends on how many people are in your household and what state you live in.

These are the 2018 guidelines:

upload_2018-9-14_12-57-25.png

So in a nutshell you wouldn't be able to figure out the hourly wage from that due to the factors that are involved.

If you took a 1 person household for the 48lower states $24,280 if 2X the poverty line. If you did $12 an hour X 40 hours per work week for all 52 weeks per year you'd get $24,960; but that assumes the person is working all those hours continuously throughout the year. But that hourly wage can drastically change if you have say two people in the household which if 2X the poverty line in the lower 48 states that would be $32,920. Suddenly you could have a large range in hourly wage. Someone may be making the whole amount thus getting paid ~$15.50 per hour (which is $32,240) OR it could be two working individuals with a range in hourly wage.

IDK what the answer is but I do think oftentimes people look at it in a simplistic way when it tends to be very complex--cost of living, how many working individuals, age of those invididuals (which can impact work opportunities on both ends meaning too young or too old for prime job opportunities), education which can impact job opportunities, lifestyle issues such as needing to work during X part of the day or specific days (maybe you've got kids so you can only work between this time and this time or you're totally ok working a shift that would earn you shift differential pay) and then there's the type of job that impacts your wage, there's the overall skills you may have that impacts your wage, etc.

So in a nutshell you wouldn't be able to figure out the hourly wage from that due to the factors that are involved.

If you took a 1 person household for the 48lower states $24,280 if 2X the poverty line. If you did $12 an hour X 40 hours per work week for all 52 weeks per year you'd get $24,960; but that assumes the person is working all those hours continuously throughout the year. But that hourly wage can drastically change if you have say two people in the household which if 2X the poverty line in the lower 48 states that would be $32,920. Suddenly you could have a large range in hourly wage. Someone may be making the whole amount thus getting paid ~$15.50 per hour (which is $32,240) OR it could be two working individuals with a range in hourly wage.

This is part of the issue, businesses like to have known costs so they can make plans for the future if a business doesn't know what a "living wage" will be from one year to the next it creates uncertainty. I do notice that Disney's starting wage is right at the "Number in Household" = 4 so it seems like they are above and beyond. I would think it is reasonable to set it at "Number in Household" = 2-3.

Did you all want to talk about a "living wage" or did you just come here to insult people?

That's my bad...

I just don't know how else to react to such nonsensical postings....."here's an opinion I'm sharing as fact, while using other people's opinions as my evidence".....Usually I'm better about ignoring such......I'll go back to my usual tactic of ignoring such lunacy.

That's my bad...

I just don't know how else to react to such nonsensical postings....."here's an opinion I'm sharing as fact, while using other people's opinions as my evidence".....Usually I'm better about ignoring such......I'll go back to my usual tactic of ignoring such lunacy.
How should people react when you do it?

That's my bad...

We can start offering up scientific papers that state the earth is flat and vaccines cause autism and the moon landing was faked.

We can start offering up scientific papers that state the earth is flat and vaccines cause autism and the moon landing was faked.
Or you can casually assert those things when discussing other topics and mock people who bring up that you’re wrong.

Nothing on the original thread topic? Looking back I see lots of Rules 2,5,6,7,8,9,11 and 13 but not a lot of input on "living wages". Surely you have some input on "living wages" as they pertain to Disney's recent change to starting wages?

Can the people whining about Disney CMs getting paid more just admit they think some people aren't worthy of earning a living? I feel like I'm reading an Ayn Rand novel here.

You may want to re-read Atlas Shrugged again, I am not sure the analog applies. Disney is a private company that decided that it was in their best interest to invest more capital in their employees. Quite a number of us have said we applaud this move. I for one am happy about it, I have always had a great customer service experience at Disney World(and even at the Disney Store in the mall down the street) and this move will likely further increase that customer service experience. Well deserved by the CMs at Disney.

Can the people whining about Disney CMs getting paid more just admit they think some people aren't worthy of earning a living? I feel like I'm reading an Ayn Rand novel here.

Nailed it ....

But I mean, otherwise just work one of the jobs that actually pays you what it costs to reproduce your labour ... but totally cool to not actually pay you what your labour costs ... rights ?

Move

Find a better job

Etc.

Nailed it ....

Nailed what? Did they say something that clarified what a living wage is or how to implement it? Did they relate this to Disney's new policy. Nope none of that, they nailed nothing. Why do the people claiming they are for the "little guy" and that we need to come up with solutions have the most problems staying on topic and discussing solutions? Nothing in the PP was helpful it was just meant to create division.

Try again. What dollar amount do you think constitutes a "living wage"? Do you think 15$ an hour is a "living wage"? if it does and some companies do it without govt. intervention but the price of their products increase compared to their competitors are you going to keep your level of patronage to those companies that raised their starting wages at the same level or higher?

I know the answer for me on the last question is yes, I will continue to go to Disney. I think their cast members knock customer service outta the park and I am glad that Disney is rewarding them.

Companies should never be entrusted to do anything for the "common good". Companies should be trusted to do what is best for them. That's why there is a government and regulation so companies don't pollute the world around you, sell you lead paint, poison your food, sell you broken ****, sell cars that down actually work, don't enslave populations, don't put 8 year olds to work for pennies a day.

All these examples have happened, in this country, over the last 150 years and often more than once and within the last decade. All of these things are bad. Very bad.

That is why we have things like minimum wage and discussions about livable wage.

The repercussions of having a livable wage, giving people the dignity of work etc. have an incredible benefit to society. If you're the type who hate handouts and foodstamps and all that stuff, you will want the government to regulate a sustainable livable work environment assuming you do average work for a full work week.
So companies all would rather cause pollution and poison food? What sense would that be to kill off your customers? This is part of the issue with your arguments. You assume all wealthy people are evil bastards and companies are also evil institutions that rather kill people if they can make a few extra bucks.

You also make assumptions that governments are all good. Did you forget government is run by humans? Humans make mistakes and can have motives that are not good. Sure there are good and bad in both the public and private sectors. Private has one thing public doesn't, the need for efficiency. Government can just keep spending with no need to provide evidence it can deliver. I work for the feds and can tell you that my agency has spent billions on one project that makes promises that have never been delivered on a timeframe that is already years late. That would not be allowed in a company.

One issue i saw mentioned in the thread was wages have not increased as much as cost of living. One major reason is companies have been able to hire cheap foreign laborers both, legal and illegal, who are willing to work for less pay and live in standards that most citizens are unwilling to. As long as that situation is allowed to continue wages in general will stagnate. I have a feeling many who wish for more government regulation are also shooting themselves in the foot by also wanting more levels of immigration. If you increase competition for jobs you take away incentives to offer higher pay for said employees.

I mean you're wrong about any of my assumptions. I just had a few posts saying for every bad corporate event you could match it with a gov one.

My assumption is that you have bad ada good everywhere.

That's besides the point. You can find examples of companies polluting and poisoning stuff throughout history not even to speak about exploiting low wage workers.

That doesn't mean every company does. Obviously. Doesn't mean gov is innocent either. You need both private and public sectors.

Also immigrants aren't stealing your iobs. Unless it's an h1b1 visa worker. Then probably.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!