NYT op-ed video on DL living wage

I mean you're wrong about any of my assumptions. I just had a few posts saying for every bad corporate event you could match it with a gov one.

My assumption is that you have bad ada good everywhere.

That's besides the point. You can find examples of companies polluting and poisoning stuff throughout history not even to speak about exploiting low wage workers.

That doesn't mean every company does. Obviously. Doesn't mean gov is innocent either. You need both private and public sectors.

Also immigrants aren't stealing your iobs. Unless it's an h1b1 visa worker. Then probably.

If immigrants arent taking jobs then what are they doing?

Construction jobs pay what they did in the 1970s. Where i live at least half of all crews are immigrants. H1Bs as you said are rampant and are taking American jobs. Landscaping, janitorial, farming, computer engineers, programmers, i could go on and on. Jobs that middle class and below used to have but have been undercut by foreign labor willing to work for less money. These are not "jobs Americans won't do." Not only are jobs being taken but wages don't go up as there is less supply of these jobs and many more applicants or supply.

If you want to get into janitorial work or farming or landscaping there are plenty of openings.

You don't need a college degree for most of the jobs you're describing.

I can tell you right now there are many manufacturing and industrial jobs in the mid west (I travel for work and talk to many owners and operators) that are available. They can't find anyone that can come to work on time and pass a drug test and work hard. They offer overtime too.

If immigrants arent taking jobs then what are they doing?

Doing the jobs that no one else wants to do, for one.

They are picking the fruits and vegetables that you eat. They are in the back kitchens of nearly every restaurant you go to, slaving over hot stoves and steamy dishwashers. They are the housekeepers at every hotel you stay at, cleaning up your mess. They are driving taxis to get you where you need to go. They are the gardeners and landscapers keeping your city/town/yard looking presentable. They are construction workers building homes that we buy. They are janitors, dealing with the most disgusting messes. They are the workers in large scale meat processing and butchering plants, again, helping put food on your table.

I don't see many Americans lining up, eager to do ANY of these jobs. If not for immigrants who are ready and willing to do whatever it takes to support their families and be productive members of society, our way of life would come to a screeching halt.

They are picking the fruits and vegetables that you eat. They are in the back kitchens of nearly every restaurant you go to, slaving over hot stoves and steamy dishwashers. They are the housekeepers at every hotel you stay at, cleaning up your mess. They are driving taxis to get you where you need to go. They are the gardeners and landscapers keeping your city/town/yard looking presentable. They are construction workers building homes that we buy. They are janitors, dealing with the most disgusting messes. They are the workers in large scale meat processing and butchering plants, again, helping put food on your table.

I don't see many Americans lining up, eager to do ANY of these jobs. If not for immigrants who are ready and willing to do whatever it takes to support their families and be productive members of society, our way of life would come to a screeching halt.

Nah, they just did a study. There are literally no major job sectors in the US done by a majority of immigrants (every sector is majority American citizen). There are only 6 specific tasks done by majority immigrants (and even then, you always have at least 38% American citizens in that job task). It's been a talking point, but now a disproven one, that Americans won't do these jobs...https://cis.org/Report/There-Are-No-Jobs-Americans-Wont-Do#4

PS - In a separate study, they have found that some of the higher % immigrant-held jobs, which have now been forced to raise wages to attract labor, have been inundated with applications once the wages are increased, even slightly. So, you can make your own judgments on how immigrants affect wages and job availability.

Nah, they just did a study. There are literally no major job sectors in the US done by a majority of immigrants (every sector is majority American citizen). There are only 6 specific tasks done by majority immigrants (and even then, you always have at least 38% American citizens in that job task). It's been a talking point, but now a disproven one, that Americans won't do these jobs...https://cis.org/Report/There-Are-No-Jobs-Americans-Wont-Do#4

PS - In a separate study, they have found that some of the higher % immigrant-held jobs, which have now been forced to raise wages to attract labor, have been inundated with applications once the wages are increased, even slightly. So, you can make your own judgments on how immigrants affect wages and job availability.

You might want to do a little digging as to who is behind the "Center for Immigration Studies" and what their political point of view is.

Needless to say, their "reports" have a history of being disputed by truly legitimate scholars and organizations.

You might want to do a little digging as to who is behind the "Center for Immigration Studies" and what their political point of view is.

Needless to say, their "reports" have a history of being disputed by truly legitimate scholars and organizations.

The info comes from the census - "The data for this analysis comes from the public-use file of the combined five-year sample of the American Community Survey (ACS), covering the years 2012 through 2016." And that info was taken during the Obama admin, so it's not even being massaged by the party that might have reason to massage it. It's about as good a data set as were gonna find. If it isn't, we probably should not bother paying to do this kinda study.

https://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/acs/

So why don't Americans want to do those jobs?

Last edited:
I don't. Please explain.

Bottom line, many Americans aren't willing to do back breaking work for minimum wage.

Immigrants can be hired and paid under the table, for a few dollars an hour, and they happily take it. This happens more than you might think. If farmers had to pay workers $15-20/hr to pick strawberries for 12 hours a day in the blazing sun, strawberries would cost $20/pound. Immigrants largely have no notion of any job being beneath them. They will take anything they can get.

I have a private college educated brother in law who has no shame collecting unemployment between jobs (he is a contracted cameraman on a VERY popular CBS reality show). He would rather sit around at home, collecting unemployment, than working a minimum wage job. He has come right out and said "I'm over qualified for that kind of work." His attitude is pretty common. Plus, unemployment pays more than a full time min wage job would, so where is the incentive to work?

@DLgal hit the nail on the head, no one will do the work demanded for the wage offered.
Why is the push for raising the minimum pay so widely accepted, and supported? Consider this contributing fact:
https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/web/SCA_FAQ.htm
The union contracts would be based on a scale, starting at prevailing wage and building in steps. If TWDC offered to increase the bottom most step, then all other rates would grow incrementally. So performers that were mostly cost effective, now become cost prohibitive. Increases to the bottom tier, and cuts to the top tier. Business 101.

So why don't Americans want to do those jobs?

It has nothing to do with if Americans wanted to do the jobs. Americans had been doing the jobs until these companies figured out that it is much cheaper to hire immigrants that work for less. Americans do not want to do the job for the pittance that they pay.

Aside from all of this (which I agree with completely), I'm guessing Disney workers are seeing the piles of money Disney is making and wondering why so little of it is going to them. It's the same story at Amazon warehouses, and I guess it's a question of who is more deserving of the profits from these companies: the investor class or the working class. Right now the investor class is doing extremely well.

I fail to see why these two "classes" are mutually exclusive. I work and I invest. A higher paycheck allows for more investment.

Bottom line, many Americans aren't willing to do back breaking work for minimum wage.

Immigrants can be hired and paid under the table, for a few dollars an hour, and they happily take it. This happens more than you might think. If farmers had to pay workers $15-20/hr to pick strawberries for 12 hours a day in the blazing sun, strawberries would cost $20/pound. Immigrants largely have no notion of any job being beneath them. They will take anything they can get.

I have a private college educated brother in law who has no shame collecting unemployment between jobs (he is a contracted cameraman on a VERY popular CBS reality show). He would rather sit around at home, collecting unemployment, than working a minimum wage job. He has come right out and said "I'm over qualified for that kind of work." His attitude is pretty common. Plus, unemployment pays more than a full time min wage job would, so where is the incentive to work?

Lots of misinformation in this thread...

1) Businesses are required to verify that ALL employees are eligible to work in the USA. The Bush Administration tightened the rules and penalties, and the Obama Administration even more forcefully enforced them. While it use to be common for companies like UPS or Walmart to look the other way... that just doesn’t happen anymore.

2) The “farm” jobs that you’re describing are generally performed by migrant workers — a class of workers that the government has permitted for many years to “temporarily” work in the USA for less than minimum wage. This class was contraversial during the Great Recession, but lobbiests were successful in keeping the status quo.

3) Most illeagals work for themselves, rather than a business. For example, as nannies, as handimen, etc. It’s rare that they work for a business, and the small percentage that do have stolen the identify of somebody else. It use to be common, FWIW, to see them in places like ethic restaurants or grocery stores, but ICE crackdowns under Bush, Obama and Trump have made this rare.

4) Unemployment isn’t taxpayer money. All businesses are required to pay unemployment insurance premiums to the start and government . It’s gnerally taxed per employee up to a certain wage amount. Companies that encourage employees to collect unemployment during down periods, like your CBS cameraman’s employer, pay incredibly high premiums. It isn’t cheap. Ultimately, management considers it to be a benefit and the employee calculates it in his wages. I don’t blame him for not accepting a minimum wage job instead...

Given all the info on this thread, and I believe I have ready every contribution - nothing has convinced me NOT to support the cast members (or any employee for that matter) earning a living wage for working a full 40 hour week.

If they don't - the government (we the people) end up subsidizing them via food stamps, medicaid, etc.

I am glad that the union was successful in their negotiations.

LOL It is true that they are "required" to verify. But we all know that plenty will take their chances. I live in the midwest and every year we see on the news how Immigration busts one of these businesses.

There’s nothing to “LOL” about; if it were common, it wouldn’t make the news. Fact is, there’s severe penalties for hiring multiple illegals, and the last three administrations have increasingly been enforcing them.
—-
This is a complex topic, but in terms of menial jobs, American consumers are to blame for the low entry level wages. For example, Walmart has long been notorious for a poor shopping experience, caused by poor/shortage of labor. But instead of supporting businesses that paid more (union grocery store, local hardware store, etc.), we dealt with the hassle and shopped at Walmart anyway since it saved us a few bucks.

But life has an interesting way of correcting itself. Walmart, Target, McDonald’s, etc. have been attempting to hike the starting pay - not because they care about their employees, but because the declining wage differential has pushed millions of their consumers toward cheaper alternatives (e.g. dollar stores), hurting their results.

Let the market correct itself- it might take awhile, but it eventually will.

There’s nothing to “LOL” about; if it were common, it wouldn’t make the news. Fact is, there’s severe penalties for hiring multiple illegals, and the last three administrations have increasingly been enforcing them.
—-
This is a complex topic, but in terms of menial jobs, American consumers are to blame for the low entry level wages. For example, Walmart has long been notorious for a poor shopping experience, caused by poor/shortage of labor. But instead of supporting businesses that paid more (union grocery store, local hardware store, etc.), we dealt with the hassle and shopped at Walmart anyway since it saved us a few bucks.

But life has an interesting way of correcting itself. Walmart, Target, McDonald’s, etc. have been attempting to hike the starting pay - not because they care about their employees, but because the declining wage differential has pushed millions of their consumers toward cheaper alternatives (e.g. dollar stores), hurting their results.

Let the market correct itself- it might take awhile, but it eventually will.

I was laughing because the person I quoted said that businesses do not hire illegals because they are required to verify if someone is legal. And it is very common for businesses to hire illegals. You are living in a dream world if you don't realize that this is happening. Where do you think all of these illegals are working? There is also a huge business of illegals buying stolen identities. And you blaming the consumers is like victim blaming. So it is the consumer's fault that a business does not want to pay a decent wage, right. And how do you know that local places pay any more? Wages are set by local economy. The only way that there is going to be any kind of balance is if they put a salary percentage cap on greedy CEOs and Board Members/stockholders. Most of these companies have more then enough money to pay employees more, but it would come out of their pockets and they rather keep their millions/billions that they could not spend in 10 lifetimes then to share it among their employees.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!