October W.I.S.H. Challenge - Being Our Best Selves

It’s homecoming weekend and my kids will be going to their first high school dance. My son has a baseball tournament during the day Saturday. Then we’ll rush home to get ready for the dance. Of course they want to go to a friends house afterwards with everyone else. But it’s looking like we will have to leave the house by 6am to get to the ball fields again Sunday morning. So sleep is going to be an issue this weekend. That usually causes me stress and stress causes me to eat poorly. So I’m going to try to plan ahead and pack good foods and keep logging my foods so I can stay focused and not mess up my progress.

@MickeyMom76 - you read my mind with your quote - I seem to unravel at the weekend and regain some of my hard lost weight from through the week. I too will try super hard to stay stronger this weekend.

My plans for the weekend are - walking on the beach both days - meeting up with the girls on Sunday to start planning our trip.

in other news I have my scratch allergy test booked for Tuesday! I hope we can get to the bottom of it - but am prepared for the fact that we still may not know even after that.

@4Mickeys - I scheduled allergy testing too! Mine is scheduled for the Tuesday after yours. My cough and itchy pop-up rashes don’t seem to respond to any of the allergy medicines I’m taking. But at least my symptoms are mild. I really hope you get some answers on Tuesday!

I scheduled allergy testing too! Mine is scheduled for the Tuesday after yours. My cough and itchy pop-up rashes don’t seem to respond to any of the allergy medicines I’m taking. But at least my symptoms are mild. I really hope you get some answers on Tuesday!

Great news you are getting tested too! I hope we both find answers to help us out of our symptoms :)

@MickeyMom76 - you read my mind with your quote - I seem to unravel at the weekend and regain some of my hard lost weight from through the week. I too will try super hard to stay stronger this weekend.

My plans for the weekend are - walking on the beach both days - meeting up with the girls on Sunday to start planning our trip.

in other news I have my scratch allergy test booked for Tuesday! I hope we can get to the bottom of it - but am prepared for the fact that we still may not know even after that.
Good luck with the scratch test... hope it answers some questions for you.

I had a sugar day yesterday - by choice. I've been wanting a pumpkin spice chia latte for over a month and finally decided to get one. Then we were having a celebratory lunch and I had a small cannolli, because I'd already had sugar so what was the harm in having more, am I right? Then I decided to officially call it a sugar day and had some key lime pie for dinner. I have to say the only thing I really enjoyed was the chai, nothing else was really pleasurable. And of course I felt pretty crappy, but the good news is that today I have no desire for more sugar.

We're supposed to get pretty nice weather over the weekend, so I'm contemplating a drive out to my favorite yarn store in the country. The shop I took the botanical dyeing class from is right down the street from the yarn store and they are having some special weekend events, including have a tarot card reader and I'm really tempted to get a reading to help sort some things out. Other than that I just need to clean up the front walk and the porch, in anticipation of getting a few trick-or-treaters Halloween night.

Hello all! Happy Monday!

Are you still feeling as motivated as you were at the beginning of the month? I caught up with last week and I am so impressed by everyone’s positivity. From meal planning to exercise, it seems like you all are on track as we head into our last week of October.

Speaking of the last week of October, what are your strategies dealing with Halloween candy? Is it a problem for you?

I still haven’t bought mine-I will probably go out Thursday morning and buy something I’m not crazy about-Kit Kats or Butterfingers. I usually get a box of those small bags of pretzels as well.

Hope everyone has a great start to their week!

So, I didn't do as well as I had hoped this weekend with my eating. And it all started with the Halloween candy! The town just north of us where my family lives does trick-or-treating the Friday before Halloween. So on Friday, my daughter and I went to my sister's house to see my nephew for his first Halloween (see pic below :love: ). In case you can't tell in the picture, he was a dinosaur hatching from an egg. When their trick-or-treating was all over, my sister gave me most of her leftover candy to give out at our house on Thursday. Well...that was sitting in my dining room all weekend and I had a few more pieces that I intended, which is why I hadn't bought my own Halloween candy yet. So I think my strategy for the week is to put it out of sight so I'm not tempted to take a piece every time I walk by ;)

I was very motivated this morning. I was going to get back into working out and eat better. Well the morning had other plans form me. I left my phone at home and left the main part of my lunch there too. I feel so out of sorts without my phone. I am going to try and make the best of the day and walk around the area for lunch and walk more this afternoon at home. I will have to buy lunch lunch but I might just get a sandwich so I can keep the calories at bay.

I did have a good weekend. Friday DH and I just went driving around the area just spending time together and playing Pokemon. Then we went to a new restaurant for dinner. The owners of the restaurant own a local butcher place that have been very popular for many many year. They just opened the restaurant about a month ago and it is doing really good. The food was just amazing. Saturday was a bit of a wash as I got a decent headache for most of the day. We did get the grocery shopping done in the afternoon. My nephew also spent the night. I didn't see him or my son (same age) all night. my nephew brought over a tv and his Play Station and DS has the same in his room too. They had a great time though. Yesterday, we didn't do much but I got to go to Trisha Yearwood concert. It was our local theater. It was a lot of fun but I got home late which is what I think through off my morning.

So, I didn't do as well as I had hoped this weekend with my eating. And it all started with the Halloween candy! The town just north of us where my family lives does trick-or-treating the Friday before Halloween. So on Friday, my daughter and I went to my sister's house to see my nephew for his first Halloween (see pic below :love: ). In case you can't tell in the picture, he was a dinosaur hatching from an egg. When their trick-or-treating was all over, my sister gave me most of her leftover candy to give out at our house on Thursday. Well...that was sitting in my dining room all weekend and I had a few more pieces that I intended, which is why I hadn't bought my own Halloween candy yet. So I think my strategy for the week is to put it out of sight so I'm not tempted to take a piece every time I walk by ;)

View attachment 448175
Adorable!

MickeyMom76, he is adorable! Isn’t it fun dressing them up that first Halloween? My grandson was a little tiger.

Piglet, I love Trisha Yearwood! Did you get a chance to see Ken Burn’s Country Music on PBS? She and Garth Brooks were both featured- she has such a beautiful voice.

The weather this past weekend was even better than predicted... clear bright blue skies with cool crisp temps.

Saturday I did drive out to the country and the autumn colors were wonderful. I went to the stitch circle at my favorite yarn store, to get help with something that was simple I just couldn't get my brain around it. It was so nice to sit and chat with the other women there. Then I went over to the other shop and had a card reading that was just as fabulous. Right on point and exactly what I needed to hear. Helped me turn some things around that have been feeling wrong/negative, but are actually right/positive.

Sunday was totally laid back as well, watched the football game for a while, and then went and got a haircut, well all of them actually. Then off to get someone to feed me lunch and then back home to knit and do things around the house. I did get the bushes along the front walk trimmed back, my one have-to-do for the weekend, so now the kiddos will have a clear path to the front door Thursday.

Looking forward to a good week this week. Half of the crew is back down in LA, I'm not optimistic that they are going to make their testing goals this week... I'm also not optimistic that we are going to achieve them next week when I'm down there, so some tough decisions will have to be made.

Oh regarding Halloween candy, I bought some Friday but left it here in the office, so I wasn't tempted to munch on it over the weekend, but did just have some for breakfast - yikes! Need to get a grip on things!

Last edited:
Your weekend sounded perfect. Being outside is so good for us mentally and physically.

I like your idea of leaving the candy at work-my colleagues had the awful habit of bringing leftover candy to the library the day after Halloween-we had a coffee pot in the work room and it was kind of an in between classes hangout. Then they would leave me alone with all that chocolate!

Piglet, I love Trisha Yearwood! Did you get a chance to see Ken Burn’s Country Music on PBS? She and Garth Brooks were both featured- she has such a beautiful voice.

I did not see this. I will have to look it up to see if I can still see it. i love both of them. I saw Garth a few years ago. I was hoping he would come out as well since he has a concert here tonight at a dive bar but he didn't. She was great and it was very low key and more intimate then at a normal concert venue. She is so funny too. It was a great night and glad a I got to go. I was not planning on getting tickets but a friend of my boss couldn't use the tickets and was looking for someone to give them too and my boss thought of me. It was a great opportunity that I jumped on not knowing who would go with me. Thankfully my friend was able to make it work.

I did not see this. I will have to look it up to see if I can still see it. i love both of them. I saw Garth a few years ago. I was hoping he would come out as well since he has a concert here tonight at a dive bar but he didn't. She was great and it was very low key and more intimate then at a normal concert venue. She is so funny too. It was a great night and glad a I got to go. I was not planning on getting tickets but a friend of my boss couldn't use the tickets and was looking for someone to give them too and my boss thought of me. It was a great opportunity that I jumped on not knowing who would go with me. Thankfully my friend was able to make it work.
The Ken Burns Country Music series is fabulous!

@MickeyMom76, your nephew is so cute!!

I loved making costumes for DS when he was little. (He was a wizard his first Halloween.)

...Did you get a chance to see Ken Burn’s Country Music on PBS? She and Garth Brooks were both featured- she has such a beautiful voice.
The Ken Burns Country Music series is fabulous!

I saw that series too - loved it!

Had trouble posting the other day, but my Thankful Thursday and weekend report are the same anyway - I got to go up and visit DS at school! :goodvibes

As for Halloween candy, my strategy is always to keep it out of sight when I first buy it. I will bring it out in the next couple of days to put together the little packets, but most of my "munching" is always after the holiday itself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!