# of people for reservations?

mccathy

DIS Veteran
So I trip that looked to involve me, my mom, sister, and my two sons - all of a sudden my brother, his wife, and their two kids might go down and camp at the same time! So... when making my dining reservations... do I just assume they're going to make it and make the reservations for all of us and then if they decide they can't afford it, or whatever, call and change the number to the smaller amount of people? I'm assuming this would be possible - and going the other way - making the reservations for just the small group and then trying to add more people on won't work. :confused3

Actually, from experience, it is going to be easier to book two sets - one set for your 'original' group, and one set at the same restaurants/times (or at least within 5-10 minutes of each other, depending on what's available) for your brother's 'maybe' group.

It is not always easy or even possible to change the party size on any booking, either up or down, especially at popular places and/or during peak meal times (like 5-7 for dinner, for example). There is an inventory system that is sort of complicated which determines how many tables, and of what specific size, are available to be booked at any given place and time. I've had issues recently where we had one set of friends cancel out of our december trip, and I had to rebook ADRs for a smaller party - we got most things at similar times, but there were two we couldn't get for the smaller size. If it had just been one or maybe two people, I wouldn't have given up the larger ADR - but we 'lost' four party members so it wouldn't have been right (in my mind anyway) to keep the larger booking. It all worked out in the end, we found other things to book in those slots and the schedule actually looks better to me now... but if we'd had one of our MUST-DO places in that situation, it would have been disappointing.

Usually, if I have 'maybes' I book one set of ADRs for the folks I know are definitely going, and then a second set under the 'maybe' party's lead person (in your case, your brother's name). If they end up going with us, great - we just tell the folks when we check in to the restaurants that our parties are together, and usually they seat us close to each other if not all together, and often all at the same table. If they end up cancelling or flaking out at the last minute, okay - I just cancel their set of ADRs and keep mine intact.

Actually, from experience, it is going to be easier to book two sets - one set for your 'original' group, and one set at the same restaurants/times (or at least within 5-10 minutes of each other, depending on what's available) for your brother's 'maybe' group.

Usually, if I have 'maybes' I book one set of ADRs for the folks I know are definitely going, and then a second set under the 'maybe' party's lead person (in your case, your brother's name). If they end up going with us, great - we just tell the folks when we check in to the restaurants that our parties are together, and usually they seat us close to each other if not all together, and often all at the same table. If they end up cancelling or flaking out at the last minute, okay - I just cancel their set of ADRs and keep mine intact.

Can I do this? When it's my time to book our ADRs I can actually book ADRs for my brother's family as well? It so - this is what I'll do - that way even if they do go - if they decide they don't want to sit down and eat everyday they can cancel and it won't affect my plans!

Thanks!

You are much better off to make the ADR for the larger amount of people. It's one thing for WDW to accommodate extra person showing up with you but much more difficult, I would think, to almost double your party size and be seated.

If I even think there may be an extra guest or two showing up for part of our vacation, I automatically make my ADR's for the larger amount of people. Usually, they show up, too!:laughing:

Can I do this? When it's my time to book our ADRs I can actually book ADRs for my brother's family as well? It so - this is what I'll do - that way even if they do go - if they decide they don't want to sit down and eat everyday they can cancel and it won't affect my plans!

Thanks!

Yes.
If you are booking on the phone, book all of the first set for yourself, and then tell the person that you wish to search the same times/places again for your other party, and give your brother's (or husband's or whosever) name and cell phone # for those.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter