Official 2006 Marathon Weekend Brainstorming thread....

Lisa loves Pooh

DIS Veteran
Hello All!

To save our weekly threads from getting overwhelmed with "planning" info instead of "training" info....we are starting a brand new thread to brainstorm ideas and get the ball rolling on planning pre-liminary activities:

Team Shirt:
CoolMax Lime Green with the following saying:

Shoes...$90
Illegal MP3 player...$100
GPS...$150
Earning a Mickey(Donald) Medal ....priceless

Previous ideas for stuff to do during the marathon weekend:

Meet at Trail's End for dinner.
Illuminations dessert party
Illuminations/Wishes fireworks cruise
Watching NFL playoffs at ESPN club (depending on who's playing )

Last season--when it came to decisions---for things such as Trail's End for the night before meal--the person "in charge" posted a poll to allow a dedicated thread for teammates to vote and express opinions.

Info from my new friend Jeremy at Group Planning. I got these quotes from him on 2/14/2005. I picked one resort in each category for possibly reserving a room block.

DISNEY’S VALUE RESORTS
ROOM RATES START AT $68.00 + 13% tax per room, per night.
Rooms accommodate a maximum of four (4) guests in two (2) double beds.
Disney’s All Star Movies Resort
We've "reeled in" the excitement of the movies in a big way!
Sections are themed around classic Disney movies. Two pools,
one themed to "Fantasia," the other reminiscent of "The Mighty
Ducks" Duck Pond hockey rink, provide family fun. This Value
Resort also offers a food court, a pool bar, pizza delivery to your
room, even laundry facilities. Most rooms comfortably
accommodate four people.
Disney’s All Star Music Resort
The magic is in the music! Sections are themed around Calypso,
Jazz, Rock and Broadway. Two pools, one shaped like a piano,
the other like a guitar, provide a fun family recreation area. This
Value Resort also offers a food court, a pool bar, pizza delivery
to your room, even convenient laundry facilities. Most rooms
comfortably accommodate four people.
Disney’s All Star Sports Resort
Sports is the spectacle! Sections are themed around football,
baseball, tennis, basketball and surfing. Two pools, one with a
baseball theme, the other centered around water sports,
provide a fun, family recreation area. This Value Resort also
offers a food court, a pool bar, pizza delivery to your room,
even convenient laundry facilities. Most rooms comfortably
accommodate four people.
DISNEY’S MODERATE LEVEL RESORTS
ROOM RATES START AT $95.00 + 11.5% tax per room, per night.
Rooms accommodate a maximum of four (4) guests in two (2) double beds.
Disney’s Port Orleans Resort ~ French Quarter
The allure of New Orleans along a rippling river. Two themed pool
areas evoke a folksy old-fashioned setting and a mythical land of
sea serpents and friendly "critters." The only thing warmer than the
Florida sunshine is the hospitality at this Resort. Most rooms
comfortably accommodate up to four people.
DISNEY’S PREMIUM LEVEL RESORTS
Disney’s Beach Club Resort
ROOM RATES START AT $249.00 + 11.5% tax per room, per night.
Rooms accommodate a maximum of four (4) guests in two (2) queen beds.
Disney’s Beach Club Resort
Delight in the best of the beach as you celebrate the
refreshing allure of sand and sea at this breezy waterfront
property located right next door to Disney's Yacht Club
Resort. Bask in the casual elegance of sunny gardens,
serene grounds, luxurious lounges, croquet courts and
beachside cabanas, and splash to your heart's content in
three sprawling acres of watery fun.
2005 GROUP & CONVENTION PARK HOPPERS
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts is able to include Theme Park admission tickets in all group packages.
Tickets can be delivered to you before your arrival, or waiting for the group upon check-in at the resort!
2005 GROUP AND CONVENTION PARK HOPPERS
Adult Child
2 Day Park Hopper® Pass $108 $86 2 days of park hopping, PLUS 1 visit to Pleasure Island OR DisneyQuest
3 Day Park Hopper® Pass $162 $130 3 days of park hopping, PLUS 1 visit to Pleasure Island OR DisneyQuest
4 Day Park Hopper® Pass $214 $171 4 days of park hopping, PLUS 4 visits to Pleasure Island OR DisneyQuest
5 Day Park Hopper® Pass $248 $198 5 days of park hopping, PLUS 5 visits to Pleasure Island OR DisneyQuest
· This offer for Group & Convention Tickets is valid for arrivals from January 1, 2005- December 30, 2005.
· All tickets will expire 10 days after their first use.
The above ticket rates and entitlements are subject to change without notice.
Adult rates apply to guests 10 years of age or older; child rates apply for ages 3-9.
The above ticket rates include tax.

Yeah!! Planning! How fun! I am especially interested in the illluminations dessert party. About how many people came to the trails end dinner last year? And I think the shirts sound great.
I could be "in charge" of the dessert party if no one else wants to and if folks are interested.

goofyshell said:
About how many people came to the trails end dinner last year?

There were between 26 and 30 WISH'ers, and some brought along other family members and friends. I'd have to say there were about 60 of us in total for dinner. They didn't accept PS ressies at that time so ya should have seen the looks on their faces when they opened up the doors :earseek:

One of my favourite memories of Marathon Weekend was this dinner and meeting the folks we'd been on-line training with for a year. If at all possible, don't miss this opportunity. :goodvibes

MaryLiz

Lisa loves Pooh said:
It's the attack of the lime green athletes!!!!
:scared1:

And for us, it was "attack of the lime green athletes wearing lime green polar fleece WISH scarves" ! I still have the group picture as my wallpaper on my computer desktop at work!

Is the $68. rate normal, or for the marathon people? I want to do the marathon this year, but hubby is having a fit over the $$$, so I'm trying to get the lowest rate possible w/out leaving Disney property. I would like a shirt, but lime green is not my color. lol :rotfl:

I just got off the phone with Disney reservations and she quoted a rate of $79. plus tax for the All Stars. I don't know if I should book now, or wait? :confused3

monte-$79 is normal at a value resort for that time of year. I stayed at Pop Century two years ago for marathon weekend and liked it a lot.

Hey guys I love the shirt idea, and the trails end idea and the illuminations idea....heck I just love all the ideas!! Annnnnd I'd be glad to help with any of the planning if needed. I don't work full time so I have a few days during the week that I can make phone calls and such. Just let me know what needs to be done.

Where is everyone going to stay? Biergarten would also be a fun restaurant to go to.....I'm up for anything. I'm hoping to be there on Jan. 4 - Jan. 9th. I'm getting so excited. :goodvibes

Biergarten is a great choice for after the race. I don't think german food would be a good choice for pre-race meal. Might tear up some stoamchs. :scared1:

I would book your accomodations now--as things like Coronado are already booked solid--that in and of itself could cause racers to have a feeding frenzy on other accomodations. The sooner you book--the best pick you get. $79 is a pretty good rate. Any codes would becomoe

I'm not sure if we will have theme park tix this time around--we will have to see how finances hold up.

I think we should also have a "celebration party" if possible--I think that is how the Illuminations cruise was done as a post celebratory event. I know that most are dog tired on Sunday---what if we did a big celebration breakfast on Monday morning--that way those leaving on Monday could do something as a last hurrah as well :).

Thoughts?

(I interrupt this message to say--Wal-Mart just called and is giving me a $1000 check for a community matching grant for the Leukemia Lymphoma Society---YEEEEEHAWWWWWWW!!!!)

I'd love to do something Sunday morning! We won't be able to arrive until mid day Sat.

T-shirts, I think we figured mid $20's with printing. Don't remeber who got the printing costs, though.

Maryliz - Will the Candian contigent be there in '06? I'd love to meet you guys!

Illuminations dessert party would be great. My vote is for Sunday night.

Well, being a Lions fan, probably not interested in a playoffs party. ;) Then again, my adopted Pat's would likely be good to watch. Go Brady!

When is everyone planning on arriving? I plan to get there on Jan. 4-9, 2006. What is the $68. rate all about? I haven't found anyone to travel with, but hopefully I can hang out with you guys? :earsgirl:

wtpclc said:
Maryliz - Will the Candian contigent be there in '06? I'd love to meet you guys!

:sad2: Nope, we're not going for this one. Darned finances! Although I just confirmed that my AP expires on the Thurs, and the kids are on school break until the following Monday ... :idea: I joined a running clinic here at work, which I have to say I really don't like it all that much ... I did a 23 minute run yesterday :crazy2: and during it, I was thinking how much fun it would be to try and do WDW 1/2 again but do a run/walk combo instead of the steady power walk. I don't think time and money will allow it for 2006, but I like having the thought in the back of my head. The really scary part is then I think about doing the full to get the Mickey to match my Donald :teeth: Who'da thunk that as I head for age 40 this year, I have desires to be an athlete ... actually I just have the desire for those Disney medals!

I visit your training threads from time to time because I really enjoy seeing your great progress.

MaryLiz

Definitely want to meet everyone, but I know that before a race sleep is the must fundamental thing in my life and I'm sure I won't be alone on this one so, maybe bear in mind if anything is before the marathon the earlier in evening/later afternoon the better - afterwards, hey I'll need beer and carbs to numb the pain so I'm there!!!

How long is everyone staying in WDW after the marathon? I'll be there from Jan.4-9.

We haven't really decided where we are staying or how long. We're going down in November for our anniversary so January will probably just be a long weekend. But one can wish it will be longer ;)

Maybe we all could meet early evening or late afternoon to have our carb loading meal together? I'm still liking the idea of the illumnations cruise after the race. Has anyone ever done one? Do you get time to socialize or is it just get on the boat watch the show and leave?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter