Official 2016 Dopey Challenge Thread

I have done many rundisney events and enjoy them all and thinking of taking on the dopey challenge. Do you have to just complete the runs to get the medals or do you have to complete the run under the pacing requirement to earn your medal? Most other disney races have starter medals rather than finisher medals, I ran and than helped out after running tower 10 miler few years back and saw many competitors who were swept during race brought to finish area and then presented medals, I was wondering because the dopey is an endurance challenge do you have to be under the pacing requirement and have to finish all races to get medal or do you just have to complete the challenge or if you are swept during any of the races do you earn the medals.

Every year there are rumors that you have to be under the pace to get the goofy or dopey medals. But to this point all you have to do is finish the races. No doubt there have been people that started far up in the corrals, be it via time or thru some of the things that get you a better starting corral, and finished just in front of the sweepers, they would still get their medals but were obviously slower then the min pace. If you get swept, you do NOT get goofy or dopey, but you'd probably still get the race medal.

I'm out for 2016 but am planning on doing it again...probably in 2018. I know who Mangello is but don't listen to his podcasts - is he really considered a valid source on runDisney rumors? Just a question as I really don't know. :confused3

I have done many rundisney events and enjoy them all and thinking of taking on the dopey challenge. Do you have to just complete the runs to get the medals or do you have to complete the run under the pacing requirement to earn your medal? Most other disney races have starter medals rather than finisher medals, I ran and than helped out after running tower 10 miler few years back and saw many competitors who were swept during race brought to finish area and then presented medals, I was wondering because the dopey is an endurance challenge do you have to be under the pacing requirement and have to finish all races to get medal or do you just have to complete the challenge or if you are swept during any of the races do you earn the medals.
This year they had wording in the program that made it sound like they were enforcing the pacing requirements. At the expo they had us go to a separate room after bib pick-up to get a picture taken holding the bib so that our face and bib number were clearly visible.

After each race, they had Dopey and Goofy runners walk through a separate Goofy/Dopey tent. Everyone expected times and pictures to be pulled up and verified, and that we'd be given a bracelet upon verification showing that we'd completed that day's race as required. This never happened until after the marathon (more on that in a second) - we'd walk through the tent and the volunteers would just say, "they'll check tomorrow!" It was pretty confusing.

After the marathon, we had to walk through that same tent again - this time they pulled up our pictures on laptops and made sure we matched our picture...at least, that's all I thought they were doing. After they verified my picture I got my Goofy and Dopey medals.

Once I got home I read reports on here and Facebook that some people's chips had not worked for one or more of the races - I think most commonly for the 5K and 10K, so something must have popped up on the laptops to alert the volunteers. These runners were pulled aside and their race pictures were pulled up to verify that they'd actually started and finished the races. Once that was taken care of, they got their medals, too. I think this confirms that swept runners don't get the challenge medals (as they shouldn't, in my opinion).

As for the pace question...after race weekend I saw a photo on Facebook of a gentleman wearing the challenge medals. His last name is very close to mine alphabetically and since I *know* him (as in, we're in a common Facebook group) his name jumped out at me. He was well above the 16:00/mile pace in ALL of the races, but he still got the medals - so he must have finished in front of the sweepers.

Of course this could all change next year...who knows...but I think as long as they give "finisher" medals to those that get swept, they won't be too strict on the pace with Goofy and Dopey runners. :confused3

TL;DR - based on anecdotal evidence from 2015 it seems you have to finish all 4 races without getting swept to get the challenge medals, regardless of pace. :)

I was also listening to that. My plan was to wait until 2018 for the 5th anniversary of the Dopey to run it. Just did the first Goofy. Was only going to do the full in 2016. Will have to rethink that if the rumor has legs.

This was my plan as well. We are actually not planning to do Marathon weekend next year and hold off for Dopey in 2018 maybe. If this rumor turns out to be true, I'll have to rethink that.

I think Ariel484 summed it up nicely. Disney would like for the Challenge runners to maintain certain pacing requirements and reserved the right to refuse medals to those that did not keep up. In reality, it looked like it you didn't get swept, you got your medals but I wouldn't be surprised if they continue to finetune this policy.

I can't see Disney not giving someone a Dopey or Goofy medal to someone who finished the marathon in over 7 hours but wasn't swept.This person just paid $400-$550 for registration, plus 3-7 hotel nights plus theme park admission(s) plus food,Disney likes money,it's in their best interest to keep these runners happy.I know some runners have an issue with someone getting a medal for getting swept or just being a bit over the time limit for a challenge,I'm in the category of I don't care,some races are more about just having fun,and Disney races are at the top of this category,Disney isn't New York or Boston and I'm fine with that.I just ran the Miami Half and although the weather was perfect and it was still enjoyable it's not Disney.The runners just seem a bit more uptight or only interested about time,the course entertainment was pretty bad and the corral layout is strange.I can register tomorrow during a price blitz for like $50-$60 and I'm not 100% sure if I even want to do it next year even though I live in Miami.Disney has a good thing going,registration opens up and that same day races that go for $170-$190 and challenges that go for as much as $550 are selling out.Miami had 13,000+ runners finish the half and 2,700+ for the full this year and probably won't sell out even with prices starting at around $50 and topping out at $110 or so,my point is that if Disney is smart they won't go around angering people by not giving them a medal.Like I said before It just doesn't matter to me and I'm not somebody who has to worry about being swept or coming in at under a 16mpm pace so I'm just saying what I think the execs at RunDisney have to be thinking.Running races can be a fad for many people so getting the races to continue to sell out year after year is something they should worry about.

I can't see Disney not giving someone a Dopey or Goofy medal to someone who finished the marathon in over 7 hours but wasn't swept.This person just paid $400-$550 for registration, plus 3-7 hotel nights plus theme park admission(s) plus food,Disney likes money,it's in their best interest to keep these runners happy.

I don't disagree, but it's also in their best interest to follow the rules they publish and publicize. Like their rules requiring runners to be in line for busses by 4am (not enforced), in their corral by 5am (not enforced), and providing medals only to finishers (not enforced), this one wasn't enforced either. One of these days, they're going to enforce one of these rules and everyone will scream bloody murder. Either that or they'll end up with hordes of people arriving at their corral at 6am, which may not be a bad thing but probably not what Disney wants from us. Personally, and I say this as someone who always gets to his corral about the time the national anthem starts playing, I think they should either enforce the rules as written or not bother to write them. Either option would be better than the grey area we're left with currently.

Kind of like the "they will never enforce return times on fastpasses....."

I agree that they should be more clear on rules and then enforcing them, but realistically I think they created this grey area deliberately. I think they know by publishing these "rules" that many if not most people will try to abide by that. As long as most people are following these "rules", they can manage the crowds and the race accordingly. So, my suspicion is that they are perfectly happy to leave things grey because to some degree it gets them the best of both worlds. They mostly get compliance and nobody gets ticked off and the races continue to sell out at record speeds.

Could all of that change and they start enforcing some of this? Absolutely. But, I'm not sure I see the benefit to Disney in doing so. :confused3 But, who knows? I do think if they intend to hold people to the pacing requirements then they really need to sweep anyone who is over that. That obviously means plenty of people who stay in front of the balloon ladies but are over the 16:00 pace requirement (this was me the first year I ran, by the way. I think I ended up with a 16:08 total pace). Letting someone complete the race and cross the finish line and then refuse them a medal is a recipe for some really bad PR. I've also always felt the pace requirement was because they need to get the race course cleared and cleaned up so to cause the least disruption to normal park operations. They've made the real HARD deadline then to be a 16 min pace from the last person to cross the start line. Actually sweeping based on individual pace would be nearly impossible to manage because of the number of racers and the staggered starts, I just don't seem them changing that.

I agree that these rules will not be enforced but also think that if you do not intend to enforce them don't publish them and runners do sign waivers and agree to terms when they sign up. I also do understand that they have to re open roads and have time limits for races. But if I did not qualify for the dopey or goofy although I would be disappointed I would understand, I do think getting the marathon completion medal should be given but holding the goofy and dopey back to certain time limits would make them more special and earned. I did chicago years back and received a medal but was not listed as official finisher. If there is a time limit to get these medals it would change some minds in getting character lines on course.

I think they should enforce what they publish - as a previous poster said, you agree to the terms when you sign up.

I also agree that they won't enforce these things because they don't want bad PR. :confused3

It seems like they put most of the rules in place to keep things running as smoothly as possible and to head off potential problems. I may be remembering incorrectly, but the bus guidelines seem to have gotten earlier in the last three years. I think they mainly exist to try and prevent a glut of people lining up for buses at 4:45-5:00 thinking 30 minutes should be plenty of time to get to their corral. The buses start at 3:00 AM (or so I'm told), so it would be virtually impossible for all runners to be on a bus by 4:00 and to their corral by 5:00 even if everyone was queued up at 3:00.

I think most of the rules are of the "We reserve the right to deny service to anyone" catch-all to deal with the most egregious of rule non-followers. When dealing with 20,000+ runners, I'm not sure that this is a bad thing.

Edit: I realize none of these thoughts are exactly groundbreaking, just saying that strict enforcement of all of their rules would be a logistical nightmare and would likely require significant added time and monetary expenditure on the part of runDisney to ensure buses, restrooms, etc. were adequate to accommodate 20,000+ people to follow the rules as written.

All good posts. It probably does come down to balancing the good time fun factor for runners and their families and dealing with the logistics of putting on a major race, road closures and ensuring that the $$$$ continue to flow to Disney.

Look at it this way, how many people would come visit the parks and stay at the resorts, get dining plans, etc., the 2nd week of January if they weren't hosting Marathon weekend? Especially with the chilly weather that we encountered? Seems like Disney knows what they are doing

Many drivers believe that posted roadway speed limit signs are only meant as a suggested speed not a maximum speed so why should anything posted by RD be taken as anything other than a suggestion???? ;)

Ironic, isn't it, that those who need the extra time, last corral, have the least amount of cushion and stopping for pictures to further the Disney Magic is close to impossible.

For the "Challenges", I am all for time limits. 17 hours for an Ironman and not a second over is what I sign up for and feel that RD should abide by their rules.

McFlurry John

Wow. All valid points. I think they post rules and procedures, just to do it to somewhat have a leg to stand on legally and with the hopes of most people complying with these rules. But Disney races are about the experience and the fun and less about adhering to strict rules and time. I've never been close to any cut off times so I 'earn' the medals according to the terms but I would not want to see someone denied a medal cause they were over a timeline. Now, if you only run 3 of the 4 races then no, you shouldn't get the rewards assocaited with the challenge.

I sure hope that the rumors are false. I see the point from the money side, but there would be quite an uproar if they do away with Dopey. Plus, you can always fill up the 5K, but if you knock out the Dopey runners, will that many additional people be begging to sign up for the 10K, I don't think so.

And remember, if I'm correct, 2018 will not only be the 5th for Dopey but the 25th for the Marathon!!! I did Dopey 2014 and thought that was probably it, but 2018.........I"M IN!!!

Brand new to DIS and recently ran my first Run Disney event - Goofy Challenge. Loved it and am thinking about the Dopey at some point in the future. Anyone know if there is any truth to the rumour of the Dopey Challenge ending after 2016. I know that will change my plans! So glad I finally ran a Run Disney Race!:thumbsup2

Congrats on your first Disney race. We ran our first in 2014, the Dopey and then the Tower of Terror which I highly suggest....when it comes back of course.

Hopefully doing away with Dopey is the farthest thing from the truth. Time will tell.

I did the Dopey in 2014 and again in 2015. I need to decide if really want to do it again in 2016...pluto:::MinnieMo:donald::smickey::goofy:

I think the 10K would still fill if the Dopey were discontinued. We would probably find the "capacity" for the Full decreased by around 8,000 runners and even then might not exactly sell out.

I did the Dopey in 2014 and again in 2015. I need to decide if really want to do it again in 2016...pluto:::MinnieMo:donald::smickey::goofy:

I think the 10K would still fill if the Dopey were discontinued. We would probably find the "capacity" for the Full decreased by around 8,000 runners and even then might not exactly sell out.

I did Dopey in '14 and '15 too and would like to continue for as long as I can but it wouldn't kill me if they dropped it. I'd go back to Goofy at that point and enjoy sleeping in two extra days!

This morning I made reservations for 2016 WDW Marathon Weekend, a Premium campsite at FW for another Dopey go-round.

McFlurry John

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter