Official 2018 Star Wars Dark Side Weekend

Even though I have legacy status, I think I'm sitting this one out. Good luck to everyone today!

I think you have to call in and also the rates won't be guaranteed as that hasn't been finalized afaik. So they'll just tell you it could change once the rates come out.

I hope there is a good discount. The rate structure on the DVC rental sites have the run dates falling under the Premier season, which is the same season that Christmas week falls under, i.e. the most expensive

I hope there is a good discount. The rate structure on the DVC rental sites have the run dates falling under the Premier season, which is the same season that Christmas week falls under, i.e. the most expensive

Easter and Dark Side were within the same 2 weeks for 2017 and in Premiere but 2018 is Magical Season so not quite as bad!

Edited to say Easter and not Spring Break

Not for 2018. As mentioned this year a couple of the days did because they were still under the Easter Break but in 2018 it's Magic, not Premier.

All WDW resorts will be Host hotels, i.e.: will provide expo and race transportation. You can book now, but discounts won't release for a while. There's a great sub-section in the Resorts section that tracks discount releases!

Does that include Shades of Green? My friend who is doing the race with me stays there, but I wasn't sure if they would have race transport? I know nothing about Shades of Green & have always stayed at an All Star when on site. How is transport to the parks & stuff like that? On site food? Is there a site I can look this all up?

Does that include Shades of Green? My friend who is doing the race with me stays there, but I wasn't sure if they would have race transport? I know nothing about Shades of Green & have always stayed at an All Star when on site. How is transport to the parks & stuff like that? On site food? Is there a site I can look this all up?

Yes, there is runDisney transportation to/from Shades of Green. Transportation for the parks is fine - they have their own buses (so, they don't use Disney buses for the parks). You can also just walk the 0.4 miles to the Polynesian and use their transportation.

Shades of Green: http://www.shadesofgreen.org/
Bus Schedules: http://www.shadesofgreen.org/mobi/bus1.html

Last edited:
I haven't signed up yet. I'm having such a tough time making a decision. I wish sign up for this one was later. #RunDisneyProblems

I haven't signed up yet. I'm having such a tough time making a decision. I wish sign up for this one was later. #RunDisneyProblems

Well, if the trend continues like the last two years - at least you have time to decide on signing up! The Half and the Challenge probably won't sell out anytime quickly.

Reactions: maw
We are in and are doing all the races. Going to do costumes this year I think slave Princess Lelia might be a goer!

I'm on the fence too - we have legacy status, which I'd like to keep, and we have had a great time the past 2 years. But I have already paid a lot of $ for Dopey and Princess last year, and I just don't want to give rD my $ again with the race 11 months away. I really wish they hadn't gone to this crazy early sign up system!

Well, if the trend continues like the last two years - at least you have time to decide on signing up! The Half and the Challenge probably won't sell out anytime quickly.
I'm waiting, too. I really want to make sure I get light side since we plan on making that one a family trip. Dark side will just be me, so I'm not jazzed about making the trip if I don't get light side, too. Hopefully, sign ups follow historic patterns.

Reactions: maw
I must be crazy cause I signed up again with the early registration. Did the 5 and 10 back in April and by the grace of God I was able to cross the finish line (shin splints were agonizing). I am excited to try and better my time in 2018!

The bus for Grand Floridian also dropped off at Shades of Green to answer ars0525

I know the 1/2 hung around for a while, well until the race :) I didn't realize the challenge didn't sell out quicker. More time to procrastinate! Hooray!

I know firsthand that the Dark Side race buses go to SoG! I stayed at the Poly this year, fell asleep on the bus after the half, and ended up at SoG. (Poly, GF, and SoG shared buses post-race.)

The 10k is sold out (as of now anyway)

That doesn't shock me since there are so few 10K spots for non-challenge runners. I wouldn't be shocked if the challenge isn't selling well - they don't split more spots. I think they've done that before!

That doesn't shock me since there are so few 10K spots for non-challenge runners. I wouldn't be shocked if the challenge isn't selling well - they don't split more spots. I think they've done that before!
Yeah, I feel like they may have done that this year with opening up more 10k spots, maybe a couple months before.

Just wanted to add to the answers already given. Last year was our first runDisney event and we stayed at Poly. runDisney contracts their own buses so it's not the regular Disney transport to the races / expo. Poly, GF and Shades shared the same bus and picked up/dropped off in that order. They also picked up/dropped off at different locations than regular Disney buses.

Yeah, I feel like they may have done that this year with opening up more 10k spots, maybe a couple months before.

Would you expect 10k to open for Wine and Food? I see the Challenge is still open. (I'm guessing no because of the popular time of year!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter