Official 2018 Star Wars Dark Side Weekend

Would you expect 10k to open for Wine and Food? I see the Challenge is still open. (I'm guessing no because of the popular time of year!)
Honestly who knows, just keep checking and it might. Last year the challenge was sold out and it kept opening back up randomly, I can't remember if the 10k did, someone could have posted about it in the 2017 thread if it did.

I just signed up for The Dark Side Challenge again. This time I should be in Corral A for both runs. I need to seriously update my trip report. Those two races were so much fun.

I am in again keeping that legacy status, year #3 Dark Side Challenge.

2016 I did the 10K/Half, this year I did all three races. Right now i am only signed up DSC (10K/Half) for 2018 and trying to decide if I should add the 5K or just have a park day instead LOL

DH just called to ask how many medals are awarded if we were to do Light Side Challenge in January. I had no clue but guessed an additional 2 more. Coast to Coast challenge and Kessel Run would be awarded at the completion of the Dark Side Half? Assuming we complete both Challenges and assuming Light Side opens up again that is! And am I reading right that Kessel Run is either 10k OR Half Light Side and Dark Side and the Challenge is Coast to Coast and separate from that?

Thanks for any clarification.

I need to seriously update my trip report. Those two races were so much fun.
Yes please update your trip report I want to finshing reading about your races!!

DH just called to ask how many medals are awarded if we were to do Light Side Challenge in January. I had no clue but guessed an additional 2 more. Coast to Coast challenge and Kessel Run would be awarded at the completion of the Dark Side Half? Assuming we complete both Challenges and assuming Light Side opens up again that is! And am I reading right that Kessel Run is either 10k OR Half Light Side and Dark Side and the Challenge is Coast to Coast and separate from that?

To get Kessel it is running the half at both light side and dark side, NOT the 10k. You do not need to do the Challenge at either. Doing the challenge has nothing to do with Coast to Coast or Kessel, it' the halves that earn it.

Coast to Coast is running a half (or full) on both coasts.

For the 2 years of Kessel people have gotten both Kessel and C2C for doing Lightside & Darkside only since you can reuse races for these medals.

Hopfully this makes sense, otherwise I'm sure someone else can explain it better:)

Last edited:

I think you're reading it wrong. You will only earn the Kessel Run medal by finishing the Light Side Half at Disneyland and Dark Side Half at Disney World. All Coast to Coast Challenge medals are only earned by finishing a minimum half marathon at WDW and a half marathon at Disneyland in the same calendar year. Also keep in mind that while runDisney often gives finisher medals to runners who are swept from the course, they do not give out challenge medals to runners swept from a race. So if you finish the 10K, but are swept from the Half, you will receive the 10K medal, probably receive the Half medal, but will not receive the challenge medal.

Yes please update your trip report I want to finshing reading about your races!!

To get Kessel it is running the half at both light side and dark side, NOT the 10k. You do not need to do the Challenge at either. Doing the challenge has nothing to do with Coast to Coast or Kessel, it' the halves that earn it.

For the 2 years of Kessel people have gotten both Kessel and C2C for doing Lightside & Darkside only since you can reuse races for these medals.

Hopfully this makes sense, otherwise I'm sure someone else can explain it better:)
I think you explained it fine.

The motivation to doing the Light Side/Dark Side Challenge as part of the Kessel Run is to get the additional 19.3 mile medal that comes with finishing the challenge. For instance, all Dark Side Half runners received the Kylo Ren medal this year, but only the challenge finishers also received the Death Star medal. Likewise, anyone who finished the Light Side Half and Dark Side Half received the Kessel Run and Coast to Coast medals, but only the runners who did the multi-race weekend challenge received the additional 19.3 miles medals.

Likewise, you can finish a multi-race weekend challenge on one coast and only the Half Marathon on the other coast and receive the Coast to Coast medal/Kessel Run if applicable.

Also bear in mind that the Coast to Coast is earned by finishing a Half at Disneyland and a Half at Disney World in the same calendar year. It doesn't matter which halfs you complete so long as one is at Disneyland and the other is at Disney World in the same calendar year. The Kessel Run and pink Coast to Coast medals are the only medals unique to finishing a specific combination of races.

DH came home from work pretty cranky today and said "sign us up for the Darkside Challenge so I have something to look forward to." So I bit the bullet and did it. I'm hoping that I can deal with any kid stuff that is that weekend but we are in for year 3.

I think you're reading it wrong. You will only earn the Kessel Run medal by finishing the Light Side Half at Disneyland and Dark Side Half at Disney World. All Coast to Coast Challenge medals are only earned by finishing a minimum half marathon at WDW and a half marathon at Disneyland in the same calendar year. Also keep in mind that while runDisney often gives finisher medals to runners who are swept from the course, they do not give out challenge medals to runners swept from a race. So if you finish the 10K, but are swept from the Half, you will receive the 10K medal, probably receive the Half medal, but will not receive the challenge medal.

I think you explained it fine.

The motivation to doing the Light Side/Dark Side Challenge as part of the Kessel Run is to get the additional 19.3 mile medal that comes with finishing the challenge. For instance, all Dark Side Half runners received the Kylo Ren medal this year, but only the challenge finishers also received the Death Star medal. Likewise, anyone who finished the Light Side Half and Dark Side Half received the Kessel Run and Coast to Coast medals, but only the runners who did the multi-race weekend challenge received the additional 19.3 miles medals.

Likewise, you can finish a multi-race weekend challenge on one coast and only the Half Marathon on the other coast and receive the Coast to Coast medal/Kessel Run if applicable.

Also bear in mind that the Coast to Coast is earned by finishing a Half at Disneyland and a Half at Disney World in the same calendar year. It doesn't matter which halfs you complete so long as one is at Disneyland and the other is at Disney World in the same calendar year. The Kessel Run and pink Coast to Coast medals are the only medals unique to finishing a specific combination of races.

Thanks to you both! I'm not sure where I got the idea it was an either / or for Kessel. I see it has to be in a calendar year also.

One last question as the 10k is sold out: has the Cheer Squad been discontinued? DS was planning to run the 10k with us. Since it sold out he was considering that but I don't see it.

Thanks for all the help and info!

One last question as the 10k is sold out: has the Cheer Squad been discontinued? DS was planning to run the 10k with us. Since it sold out he was considering that but I don't see it.
I think cheer squad doesn't go on sale for awhile, just keep checking back to see when if it gets added to register.

Keep in mind that travel agents may have 10K bibs available. There's always a hotel stay and/or park ticketsattached to them, but if you need lodging, it's a great way to get a bib. Just make sure you know all the details by directly contacting the travel agent.

There's also RawThreds, you have to pay to join their club but you can get bibs through them without hotel stay or tickets.

Best $125 investment you'll make for RunDisney. I love the membership product discounts and the ability to register for my races on my schedule. And you'll get $25 of that investment back in a gift card, so really it's only $100 per year.

(I swear I don't work for them, just a big fan! :laughing:)

Do 10ks really sell out this early? I'm super disappointed I missed it.
Yes the 10K is usually one of the first to go - it is a more accessible distance to a lot of runners who want to experience a rD event, and there are only a limited # of bibs as a chunk are reserved for challenge participants. If the challenge isn't selling out, as we get closer to the event they may release some of those challenge slots and re-open the 10K registration.

I have a question to anyone that might help me. I will be going in late September as I am sure most you can see my signature on the bottom. My question is, does anyone know if there will be bounce back offers available when I'm there in September for possibly April when the race is being run? Also when would dates be available to book a resort for April.

I have a question to anyone that might help me. I will be going in late September as I am sure most you can see my signature on the bottom. My question is, does anyone know if there will be bounce back offers available when I'm there in September for possibly April when the race is being run? Also when would dates be available to book a resort for April.
I can't help with a Bounce Back, as I've never used one, never really looked at them. But I know that 2018 rooms/packages are supposed to open on June 20, so I imagine April will show up then.

My husband and I are registering for the Challenge! It'll be our first Disney run. Did I see we can also register for the 5k??

Yes you can but it's a separate registration. You can also preorder assorted memorabilia for any of the races as well.

Congrats on your first race! We loved Star Wars Weekend!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts