Official 2018 Star Wars - Light Side Half Marathon Weekend - Cancelled

I'd love for everyone to get refunds if the races don't happen (and we still don't know for sure that they won't yet). However, 1.) that's not what they did in the past (see above ToT email as an example), and 2.) it says right on their webpage that entries are non-refundable, and that's something that participants agree to when registering.

If they don't have the races, I really hope all of you get your money back - no question that that would be the right thing to do, and it would suck to have to go to your CC to dispute the charge, so I hope it doesn't come to that! More than that though, I hope runDisney/Anaheim/whoever gets their s*** together and somehow holds the races...and that they give you guys some answers soon.

The differences I see in what happened when ToT was discontinued is that there were other WDW races that the entry fee could be deferred to. And while there is a no refund policy, I respectfully have to say I disagree with you and don't think that policy applies when rD cancels the event for which you registered (and there is no alternative event within 3,000 miles!). Making someone apply an entry fee for a race in CA to a race in FL is simply ridiculous and I definitely think open to challenge. Probably the lawyer in me coming out, but if rD tries to do that, watch out.....

The differences I see in what happened when ToT was discontinued is that there were other WDW races that the entry fee could be deferred to. And while there is a no refund policy, I respectfully have to say I disagree with you and don't think that policy applies when rD cancels the event for which you registered (and there is no alternative event within 3,000 miles!). Making someone apply an entry fee for a race in CA to a race in FL is simply ridiculous and I definitely think open to challenge. Probably the lawyer in me coming out, but if rD tries to do that, watch out.....
Like I said, i hope it all works out.

EDIT: And I didn't say that I think they won't compensate in some way, I'm just pointing out that it DOES say on their page that it's non-refundable - there are no conditions or anything like that. I hope you all get your money back *if* they cancel.

But if they aren't having any more DL races, I think they must give refunds (or I will certainly be contacting my cc company to do battle on my behalf), because deferring to a WDW race is definitely not apples to apples and something that I would definitely NOT be interested in doing.
Absolute ditto from me. I will be demanding a refund for my light side registrations--unless they want to pay for my travel costs as well :)

I hope they at least keep one Disneyland race for us west coasters, and thus keeping coast to coast alive.

I started running a bit over a year ago and chose running because I got to do the DL races (I live about 8 miles from the park). I'll be very sad if they stop the west coast runs, and motivation to keep running is going to be a challenge. :(

Even deferring to an alternate race in DLR is not always apples to apples. I want to run in Jan not Sept. I'm not sure I'm willing to spend runDisney price on a race in Sept.

Like I said, i hope it all works out.

EDIT: And I didn't say that I think they won't compensate in some way, I'm just pointing out that it DOES say on their page that it's non-refundable - there are no conditions or anything like that. I hope you all get your money back *if* they cancel.
yeah, but non-refundable applies to you trying to cancel an event...not that it's non-refundable if rundisney does it. It would never be allowed for anyone to setup an event, have people register with a note that it is non-refundable and then they cancel the event and keep the money!!! That would be theft. In this case I don't care if they have 300 California races available to transfer...if you setup event A and cancel event A then I have no obligation to participate in event B, rather you own me a FULL REFUND for event A.

yeah, but non-refundable applies to you trying to cancel an event...not that it's non-refundable if rundisney does it. It would never be allowed for anyone to setup an event, have people register with a note that it is non-refundable and then they cancel the event and keep the money!!! That would be theft. In this case I don't care if they have 300 California races available to transfer...if you setup event A and cancel event A then I have no obligation to participate in event B, rather you own me a FULL REFUND for event A.
My last post in this thread - once again, I DID NOT say that I don't think there will be some sort of compensation. I was posting what happened with Tower of Terror to sort of say, "hey, this is what might happen based on what they have done before." I'm not runDisney, not the race director, and I hope that they do something different this time.

if you setup event A and cancel event A then I have no obligation to participate in event B, rather you own me a FULL REFUND for event A.

I have had this happen three times -- one of them being a Disney race. Allowing transfer of registration to a select number of races is a pretty common remedy.

I have had this happen three times -- one of them being a Disney race. Allowing transfer of registration to a select number of races is a pretty common remedy.
so would you be ok if you bought a Marilyn Manson ticket at some venue, only to have the menu cancel that event and tell you that you have the option to switch to any other events they have: Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, etc.....umm, I'm thinking NO. I would want a refund. I am simply saying that is the only legally correct option.

And I was not directing anything at you @Ariel484, just saying that from a legal standpoint, their 'non refundable' policy would only apply to the individual being at fault and would not mean that they had the option to not refund you when THEY are at fault for the cancellation.

so would you be ok if you bought a Marilyn Manson ticket at some venue, only to have the menu cancel that event and tell you that you have the option to switch to any other events they have: Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, etc.....umm, I'm thinking NO. I would want a refund. I am simply saying that is the only legally correct option.

And I was not directing anything at you @Ariel484, just saying that from a legal standpoint, their 'non refundable' policy would only apply to the individual being at fault and would not mean that they had the option to not refund you when THEY are at fault for the cancellation.

I would not be ok with it. It definitely sucked. In one case (not Disney), the best I could get was a 1/2 refund on the fees. It did not seem fair at all, but I wasn't prepared to bring a lawsuit. I was just trying to point out what seems to be a standard practice.

I've mentioned this in an earlier post:

The 2017 WDW Half was cancelled due to weather. I expect the same options to be given to SWLS HALF registrants if they cancel--
  • (2) One day park hopper tickets
  • Switch to another runDisney event (only events that have registration open or sold out, not events where reg has not yet opened)
  • 100% refund on a Disney Gift Card.
Of course, the WDW Half cancellation was a decision made the day before, so all the runners were already in the resort area. If they cancel SWLS with enough notice, I suppose they could offer a cash refund. This is uncharted waters though, so who knows.

Which Disney Race? Just curious as that would suck if you couldn't do any of the others & I can't think of any that canceled with registrations already being done.

I got a response...of my original $848.61 of charges (I found my original credit card statements) - they offered me $640 in a check. This would void our registration.

It would be considered by them 'goodwill' for Hurricane Harvey (yes, I wrote that right).

I got a response...of my original $848.61 of charges (I found my original credit card statements) - they offered me $640 in a check. This would void our registration.

It would be considered by them 'goodwill' for Hurricane Harvey (yes, I wrote that right).

Really, that's nuts & so weird to say for Harvey, I would be like nope!

I know they gave some Harvey victims refunds for Disneyland Half since they couldn't travel.

I replied back with the original credit card information.

I know in my gut this weekend is cancelled. If I hold off - do I get all my money back?

This weekend is not happening - I'm with you.

If they won't refund the total charges, I'd take what $$ you can get and then get your credit card company to sort out the rest ... I really don't believe they're going to refund $$ but yet offer to transfer registration or give you the credit in gift card form.

My personal belief is that RunDisney has already spent that $$ elsewhere and doesn't have it to refund directly anyway.

BUT. I'm glad that you actually got a response ...

Also, there's a post on a Light Side group from someone who spoke with a person high-up in RunDisney who said they were told specifically by Disneyland not to schedule or sell registration for Disneyland races in 2018 as early as March. That's why general never opened.

Also, there's a post on a Light Side group from someone who spoke with a person high-up in RunDisney who said they were told specifically by Disneyland not to schedule or sell registration for Disneyland races in 2018 as early as March. That's why general never opened.

Yes - I read that too.

I feel bad for everyone that loves the Disneyland Race Weekends!

I wonder how many more times I'll be disappointed by this thread. We should just close it until we actually get some news.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter