Official 2018 Star Wars - Light Side Half Marathon Weekend - Cancelled

I got a response...of my original $848.61 of charges (I found my original credit card statements) - they offered me $640 in a check. This would void our registration.

It would be considered by them 'goodwill' for Hurricane Harvey (yes, I wrote that right).

I'm a bit surprised that they only offered part of the payment - although I guess technically they haven't cancelled anything yet, so they are still within their right based on the "non-refundable" clause....but the minute that changes to cancellation then I would absolutely fight until I got every single penny back - heck maybe interest.

I'm a bit surprised that they only offered part of the payment - although I guess technically they haven't cancelled anything yet, so they are still within their right based on the "non-refundable" clause....but the minute that changes to cancellation then I would absolutely fight until I got every single penny back - heck maybe interest.

Has anyone called in and spoke to someone? I did Dopey in January. For the cancelled half I went right away to the expo and got the $150 gift card that was offered. I have friends and running mates who differed their half to the light side. Well, now they just want the gift card because it looks like this race is not happening. I just gave them the Run Disney phone number to try and call in.

Has anyone called in and spoke to someone? I did Dopey in January. For the cancelled half I went right away to the expo and got the $150 gift card that was offered. I have friends and running mates who differed their half to the light side. Well, now they just want the gift card because it looks like this race is not happening. I just gave them the Run Disney phone number to try and call in.

RunDisney doesn't have a true call center. Sure, you can call ... but they're going to tell you to email the same email that is on the website.

The only email address that is staffed by people with any knowledge or ability to take action on RunDisney items is WDWSportsRegistration@Disney.com.

I got a response...of my original $848.61 of charges (I found my original credit card statements) - they offered me $640 in a check. This would void our registration.

It would be considered by them 'goodwill' for Hurricane Harvey (yes, I wrote that right).

Ah, blindly using blurbs that have nothing to do with the issue...what fun.

I know in my gut this weekend is cancelled. If I hold off - do I get all my money back?

More likely to get it all back if you wait, I think.

I would highly recommend against accepting any amount below a full refund and refuse receiving it as a gift card. Only a true refund. If you cannot get a full refund from runDisney, then pursue it through your credit card company/bank.

I agree with others that the lower amount offered very likely has to do with the fact the weekend is not officially cancelled. Until it is, no one will likely be offered a full refund.

Their response to my questioning the amount offered...(at least they got the race right this time - first time called the wrong race out)

"We are sorry to hear that you are unable to join us during the Star Wars Half Marathon - The Light Side. Regrettably, commemorative merchandise and ACTIVE.com fees cannot be refunded. We apologize for any disappointment this may cause. However, you may email us back after the event weekend, and we will do our best to send any items that you were unable to pick up at the runDisney Health & Fitness Expo to your home."

Guess they are still acting like the weekend is happening. :rotfl2:

"However, you may email us back after the event weekend, and we will do our best to send any items that you were unable to pick up at the runDisney Health & Fitness Expo to your home."

Dear Disney, so you're planning to have this event with just the thousandish or so people that registered at the event and just afterwards? How's THAT going to work out for rundisney's bank account?

Their response to my questioning the amount offered...(at least they got the race right this time - first time called the wrong race out)

"We are sorry to hear that you are unable to join us during the Star Wars Half Marathon - The Light Side. Regrettably, commemorative merchandise and ACTIVE.com fees cannot be refunded. We apologize for any disappointment this may cause. However, you may email us back after the event weekend, and we will do our best to send any items that you were unable to pick up at the runDisney Health & Fitness Expo to your home."

Guess they are still acting like the weekend is happening. :rotfl2:
Thanks for reporting back. Interesting that they are continuing with the race is on idea. Wish I could believe it. They are sitting on over $400 from me.

However, you may email us back after the event weekend, and we will do our best to send any items that you were unable to pick up at the runDisney Health & Fitness Expo to your home.

I mentioned this to you earlier on FB, but this still bothers me. They won't refund you the money because you paid for items, but then they'll try their best to send you the items you paid for. If you paid for them you should get them. They shouldn't try to get double the money and say you're sh!t out of luck.

This entire thing is so bizarre.

I mentioned this to you earlier on FB, but this still bothers me. They won't refund you the money because you paid for items, but then they'll try their best to send you the items you paid for. If you paid for them you should get them. They shouldn't try to get double the money and say you're sh!t out of luck.

This entire thing is so bizarre.
I know...I wish I had a phone number to discuss this with. I've been thinking of how I'm going to respond.

I know...I wish I had a phone number to discuss this with. I've been thinking of how I'm going to respond.
If you don’t need the money right now, you may want to tell them it turns out you can run that weekend after all and wait for them to cancel the event so you get all of your money back. Because I agree with others who said they will have to give refunds for a race that is cancelled; especially if they do not have any races in DL in 2018. This is different then them saying they are concerned about runners’ safety Due to weather.

I'm probably grasping at straws, but all Star Wars themed running gear at Raw Threads is on 30% discount today.

I wonder why.... :confused3

I'm just blown away by all of this. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. The lack of communication, clear communication, is infuriating. Personally I wouldn't accept anything less then the full refund of what you paid. I don't know how you're feeling about it but if you can wait until they officially cancel the race, I'd say you have a better chance then of getting all your money back.

Like @courtneybeth mentioned, there was a thread in a FB group on Friday that basically sealed the deal for me. Its beyond runDisneys control, I believe, and its not like they're just days away from announcing registration or something like that. Its over IMO. Personally I might still travel down that weekend. It depends on my daughters audition schedule. But its a 3 day weekend and I have a room so I'm hoping we'll still be going down for a trip. And should they open up registration for the 10k I will most likely go ahead and do that. But as for a half its just not happening. I'm going to register for Surf City if I can get a friend or two to join me.

I'm just blown away by all of this. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. The lack of communication, clear communication, is infuriating. Personally I wouldn't accept anything less then the full refund of what you paid. I don't know how you're feeling about it but if you can wait until they officially cancel the race, I'd say you have a better chance then of getting all your money back.

Like @courtneybeth mentioned, there was a thread in a FB group on Friday that basically sealed the deal for me. Its beyond runDisneys control, I believe, and its not like they're just days away from announcing registration or something like that. Its over IMO. Personally I might still travel down that weekend. It depends on my daughters audition schedule. But its a 3 day weekend and I have a room so I'm hoping we'll still be going down for a trip. And should they open up registration for the 10k I will most likely go ahead and do that. But as for a half its just not happening. I'm going to register for Surf City if I can get a friend or two to join me.

I think I learned all your real names this weekend with that post :cool1:

Honestly, the $848 isn't going to make or break me at this point. That money is already gone. Plus their refund process is going to take 4 to 6 weeks so not helpful in near term. FEMA did award me $500 for my time without essential utilities (since it was 10 days) so that is helpful. We have most of our clean up done. After it rained this weekend - we discovered our lanai has a leak so we gotta get that looked at but that isn't covered by insurance. Guess its a good thing we weren't planning on doing any major vacations now in 2018 so we can do house stuff.

Enjoy your weekend! I'll be in California in November for work - I may stop by Disneyland during my 'down' time then. Who knows yet though.

I'm going to register for Surf City if I can get a friend or two to join me.

I ran the course last year and it is SO AWESOME to run along the beach. It isn't flat (very deceptive with inclines) but you'll rock it with your intervals :)

I think I learned all your real names this weekend with that post :cool1:
Yep. Hi.:wave::laughing:

hahahahah! I'm laughing because I just got the same email and had the same thoughts as you did....it makes me sad.....

No hesitation a week or two ago from Raw Threads to refund me my money. A couple of months ago they asked me to hold on. Now they're like "Yep, take it" and did the process the same day.

I am so sad too. :(

Sooo all that being said now I'm going to bite the bullet and register for Avengers. The idea of not running in Disneyland just breaks my heart so I figure I better take advantage of the one race I can. Wish I had decided earlier. Rooms are ridiculous! If anyone has the discount for registration for the Disnyland Half virtual bag I'd be extremely thankful if you wanted to pass it along!

@courtneybeth it looks sooo pretty! i've had my eye on it for a few years. As long as you tell me its not as bad ans RnR SF I'll be ok!

Sooo all that being said now I'm going to bite the bullet and register for Avengers. The idea of not running in Disneyland just breaks my heart so I figure I better take advantage of the one race I can. Wish I had decided earlier. Rooms are ridiculous! If anyone has the discount for registration for the Disnyland Half virtual bag I'd be extremely thankful if you wanted to pass it along!

@courtneybeth it looks sooo pretty! i've had my eye on it for a few years. As long as you tell me its not as bad ans RnR SF I'll be ok!

I sent you a PM with the link. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter