Official 2018 Star Wars - Light Side Half Marathon Weekend - Cancelled

@kirstie101 I'm almost afraid to ask, but tell me about RnR SF. We're planning on doing it next April. We're also doing Surf City instead of LS now so see ya there!

This might sound crazy because I hate hills, but I love it. The views are gorgeous. Running over and back on the Golden Gate is just a special experience. The hills are KILLER. And they hit you almost right away as you work your way up to the bridge. But I always feel so accomplished when I finish that race cause I know its no joke. Compared to other RnRs theres less music. They can’t have bands on the course until a certain time or something along those lines so the first half has “other” entertainment. I remember a selfie stop with a VW bus and hippies handing out daisies...stuff like that...just don’t go expecting lots of bands the whole race. Run it for the views and the challenge. You finish in front of City Hall and they have a nice grassy area where you can sit, enjoy your beer, hear the band playing and look up at City Hall. I wasn't able to do it last year due to the date it was held on. This will be my 3rd year running it though and I keep coming back.

See you at Surf City! I can't wait!

Ok someone clue me in on the fb thread. I'm in a group or two but I can't keep up with them.

This might sound crazy because I hate hills, but I love it. The views are gorgeous. Running over and back on the Golden Gate is just a special experience. The hills are KILLER. And they hit you almost right away as you work your way up to the bridge. But I always feel so accomplished when I finish that race cause I know its no joke. Compared to other RnRs theres less music. They can’t have bands on the course until a certain time or something along those lines so the first half has “other” entertainment. I remember a selfie stop with a VW bus and hippies handing out daisies...stuff like that...just don’t go expecting lots of bands the whole race. Run it for the views and the challenge. You finish in front of City Hall and they have a nice grassy area where you can sit, enjoy your beer, hear the band playing and look up at City Hall. I wasn't able to do it last year due to the date it was held on. This will be my 3rd year running it though and I keep coming back.

Ok that sounds amazing.

Have you run any other race that has run over the GG bridge. That's on my bucket list. I didn't know that SF RnR runs over the GG. I'm only aware of the SF Marathon/ HM. I'm only interested in the HM. Assuming LS doesn't happen, I'll be looking to run one of these races next year.

Ok that sounds amazing.

I think it is!

Have you run any other race that has run over the GG bridge. That's on my bucket list. I didn't know that SF RnR runs over the GG. I'm only aware of the SF Marathon/ HM. I'm only interested in the HM. Assuming LS doesn't happen, I'll be looking to run one of these races next year.

I haven't done any other one that went over the bridge. I did do Nike a couple of times but we didn't do the bridge in that one. The first time I did RnR SF I was actually scared to death of running over the bridge. But once I was on it and doing it the fear went away and it was just really cool. Whenever we head to the City I love telling my kids that mom has run that bridge!

Oh good I can't wait either - for both of them! I was holding off registering until RnR announced their 2018 packages - I'm hoping they offer the TourPass again this year. We already booked our hotel and air. We'll still run this even if by some miracle Light Side takes place, but I've given up on that.

All this talk about SF is making me miss doing the July SF Marathon (I was one of the last finishers in 2011). I would totally do it if I knew with certainty I would be ready for a sub 6 on those kind of hills. As it is I want to get my pace faster than whatever I'll have for Big Sur, maybe 2019.

Just had a scary thought...

What if they announce that star wars won't happen on the January date, but they announce it has been postphoned with further information to follow. They don't use the word cancellation, so would they go to the policy of gift cards, moving to a different race, or keep the money until its "cancelled" etc.? Not only that... this would just put everything on hold of what happens indefinitely as there would no date announced. Ughhh

I have this feeling that whatever and whenever they announce something, it won't be the end of the uncertainty.

Last edited:
I'd be fine if it were a different date, but that's because I'm a local. :)

I'm beginning to wonder if I should try to do the WDW Marathon weekend since it'd be around the same time and I'm running for it anyway, but the 10k is sold out so that's sad.

Late to the RnR SF talk, but it was my first half ever. I didn't think the hill was that bad because I had trained for it, but found the tiny hills at the end a little rough since I had bonked at mile 8. The run though video they have was extremely helpful in mentally preparing me. There was very little entertainment or crowd support and I sadly missed the drag band since they were setting up. It was nice and cool and running across the bridge was awesome, although I was anxious as I'm afraid of heights. But the CalTrans workers on the bridge were supportive! I definitely recommend the race even though SF full & half are more popular.

Also, if you think you'll be swept, they allow the last corral to go BEFORE corral A so they can run across the bridge, which is really nice.

Very disappointed to hear about the Lightside race (and DL races in general). 501st was awesome last year and I loved the Red Hat Ladies and cheer squads at Tink 2015. I hope we hear from rD soon!

I'd be fine if it were a different date, but that's because I'm a local. :)

I'm beginning to wonder if I should try to do the WDW Marathon weekend since it'd be around the same time and I'm running for it anyway, but the 10k is sold out so that's sad.

That's my issue.
Instead of Star Wars Light Side, I wanted to move to Marathon weekend at WDW. Everything is sold out except for the full. Not comfortable with the distance. DVC is 100% full, but would be willing to pay for the room. Flights are cheap, just can't get the entry. :(.

Backup plan is for RnR Phoenix. Flights there are reasonable also, hotels aren't bad either.

That's my issue.
Instead of Star Wars Light Side, I wanted to move to Marathon weekend at WDW. Everything is sold out except for the full. Not comfortable with the distance. DVC is 100% full, but would be willing to pay for the room. Flights are cheap, just can't get the entry. :(.

Backup plan is for RnR Phoenix. Flights there are reasonable also, hotels aren't bad either.

So I hate fulls but signed up bc its an anniversary year. The medal is ok (though I love the dopey medal more) BUT many charities still have opening with not insane fees if you want to do something less on distance. I also wonder if you have already signed up for LS, maybe you could call and request a transferred due to the SWLS being in such limbo with no information. I get chances are slim but I also wonder if, as someone else mentioned, they spent the money already, if they are trying to figure out what to do moving forward.

Realistically, I think that those that are comparing the WDW half compensation to the issue here, it isnt 1:1... the half was cancelled by disney due to lightening/weather and the safety of the runners.... cancelling a race due to logistics (or lack there of) isnt the same... but thats my narrow vision on the topic.

Just had a scary thought...

What if they announce that star wars won't happen on the January date, but they announce it has been postphoned with further information to follow. They don't use the word cancellation, so would they go to the policy of gift cards, moving to a different race, or keep the money until its "cancelled" etc.? Not only that... this would just put everything on hold of what happens indefinitely as there would no date announced. Ughhh

I have this feeling that whatever and whenever they announce something, it won't be the end of the uncertainty.

I just want to know one day or another. Often I like to star at Disney Monday after a race and come back tuesday so I can have a day without having to worry about races of 3am wakeup calls, etc. I'm not doing that doe dopey because of light side. I'd just like to know so if that is the case I'll likely then extend my dopey reservation out a day.

Since it has been a few weeks since DLH with no infromation I'm assuming it's a no-go. If it was a go I would have expected something shortly after DLH.. however it isn't over till it's over.

So I hate fulls but signed up bc its an anniversary year. The medal is ok (though I love the dopey medal more) BUT many charities still have opening with not insane fees if you want to do something less on distance.

How would you find those charities? Are there links here or somewhere for that?

So I hate fulls but signed up bc its an anniversary year. The medal is ok (though I love the dopey medal more) BUT many charities still have opening with not insane fees if you want to do something less on distance. I also wonder if you have already signed up for LS, maybe you could call and request a transferred due to the SWLS being in such limbo with no information. I get chances are slim but I also wonder if, as someone else mentioned, they spent the money already, if they are trying to figure out what to do moving forward.

Realistically, I think that those that are comparing the WDW half compensation to the issue here, it isnt 1:1... the half was cancelled by disney due to lightening/weather and the safety of the runners.... cancelling a race due to logistics (or lack there of) isnt the same... but thats my narrow vision on the topic.

It isn't the same. Lightning/weather is outside of disney's control. Logistics is in their control.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter