Official 2019 Star Wars Rival Run Weekend

Looking for any info on the kids races! We just planned a last minute extension for our trip for spring break and my DD loves Star Wars! She is 5 and can run the mile or the 200M dash and both are still open for registration. Are there any characters at the kids races? Any input or feedback would be appreciated! Thanks
My kids have done every weekend except Star Wars but I think they are all pretty similar. As far as characters go they usually have one at the finish line. Most of the time it is Mickey but I have also seen Chip and Dale. My recommendation would be to do the mile if your DD is up for it. The other races seem really short and there's a lot of waiting around because they have to send the kids in waves. For Princess it took the 100M & 200M an hour each to get through all the kids. With the mile everyone goes at once. There are activities for the kids to do in the middle of the track to keep them busy but there's no shade so it gets super hot.

What does everyone do as far as sunglasses go? Do you bring them with you to wear when the sun comes up? Especially for the half when most of our running will be after the sun comes up.

Also, how does everyone stay hydrated in the days leading up to the race? Has anyone tried the Liquid I.V. packets? I considered picking some of those up to bring with me, I know the Florida heat can be a lot sometimes.

I’m farsighted so I have a dedicated pair of Transitions glasses. I’ve only used Nuun so I can’t comment on Liquid IV.

Some marathon runner friends are suggesting I take extra vitamin C and have a protein drink right after the 10K and Half for recovery. Does anyone have experience doing that and what’s your preferred drink? I’m pretty open as long as there are no artificial sweeteners.

Thanks!

Some marathon runner friends are suggesting I take extra vitamin C and have a protein drink right after the 10K and Half for recovery. Does anyone have experience doing that and what’s your preferred drink? I’m pretty open as long as there are no artificial sweeteners.
I'm not sure the reason behind vitamin C, so can't comment on that (I don't take it), but after a long run, I need to 1. get my blood glucose back up near normal, and 2. keep it there, and I've found chocolate milk to work exceptionally well for that: the perfect ratio of carbs and protein. So I keep a shelf-stable little carton of chocolate milk in my car on race day (if it's hot out, I'll chill it ahead of time and put it in a little cooler with an ice pack), ready to roll when I've finished.

Re: Sunglasses... I would put them on my hat until I needed them when I started running. Later, I got transition lenses that start out light enough I could get around in the dark.

Re: Hydrating... Just start early. (The day before is basically too late.) I really start paying attention a week out, and try to keep the pee clear(ish). If you're worried about sweating out too much salt in the Florida sun, electrolytes won't hurt.

Re: Vitamin C... I can somewhat vouch for this. I used to play tennis in the Alabama midday summer sun quite a lot, and I would have an Emergen-C packet after. Now, this could have been because I wasn't fueling properly while playing. (Knowing what I know now, I should have been doing quite a lot more! That would have been a game-changer.) But the vitamin C kept me from getting horrendous headaches after a match. And yes, protein is a good idea, too. Your body is screaming out for sugar and protein after you get done, and it's best to get that in within a half hour of finishing.

I’m really sorry for a super basic noob question but having registered for the virtual half and the half, all the materials for the virtual say "visit the finisher website" to submit our times. But there are no links to a finisher site. There is a link to print your finisher certificate...is that the “finisher website?”

Is that the only thing we need to do? Thank you!

I’m really sorry for a super basic noob question but having registered for the virtual half and the half, all the materials for the virtual say "visit the finisher website" to submit our times. But there are no links to a finisher site. There is a link to print your finisher certificate...is that the “finisher website?”

Is that the only thing we need to do? Thank you!

There is no need to submit your time anywhere. If you want a finisher's certificate, you visit that link, enter your time, and print the certificate. But there's no requirement to do so.

I'm not sure the reason behind vitamin C, so can't comment on that (I don't take it), but after a long run, I need to 1. get my blood glucose back up near normal, and 2. keep it there, and I've found chocolate milk to work exceptionally well for that: the perfect ratio of carbs and protein. So I keep a shelf-stable little carton of chocolate milk in my car on race day (if it's hot out, I'll chill it ahead of time and put it in a little cooler with an ice pack), ready to roll when I've finished.

Re: Sunglasses... I would put them on my hat until I needed them when I started running. Later, I got transition lenses that start out light enough I could get around in the dark.

Re: Hydrating... Just start early. (The day before is basically too late.) I really start paying attention a week out, and try to keep the pee clear(ish). If you're worried about sweating out too much salt in the Florida sun, electrolytes won't hurt.

Re: Vitamin C... I can somewhat vouch for this. I used to play tennis in the Alabama midday summer sun quite a lot, and I would have an Emergen-C packet after. Now, this could have been because I wasn't fueling properly while playing. (Knowing what I know now, I should have been doing quite a lot more! That would have been a game-changer.) But the vitamin C kept me from getting horrendous headaches after a match. And yes, protein is a good idea, too. Your body is screaming out for sugar and protein after you get done, and it's best to get that in within a half hour of finishing.

Thanks for the responses! It’s good to know they weren’t just messing with me. I usually just have a RXBAR within 30 minutes of running. I am seeing the benefits extra protein with back to back races though.

We live in lower Alabama so maybe there is something to the vitamin C because of the temps. A little extra can’t hurt!

Thanks for the responses! It’s good to know they weren’t just messing with me. I usually just have a RXBAR within 30 minutes of running. I am seeing the benefits extra protein with back to back races though.

We live in lower Alabama so maybe there is something to the vitamin C because of the temps. A little extra can’t hurt!

L.A.!!! (My mom is from Geneva.)

I prefer a shake as it delivers a little faster, but RXBars are terrific! I forgot to mention that something salty is also a good idea, especially if it's hot out. The chips in the post-race meal box really do the trick for me!

Looking for tips on spectating the half marathon. We are staying at Port Orleans and would like to see our runners close to halfway. Thinking Animal Kingdom which will be mile 5 or 6. Then hope to make it back to EPCOT for the finish before they get there. Anyone ever do anything similar. Use the buses or drive?

Looking for tips on spectating the half marathon. We are staying at Port Orleans and would like to see our runners close to halfway. Thinking Animal Kingdom which will be mile 5 or 6. Then hope to make it back to EPCOT for the finish before they get there. Anyone ever do anything similar. Use the buses or drive?
I've never done it, so I can't say with certainty, but I really do not think buses will run early enough to get to AK in time to see your runners. The race starts at 5:30am, with all runners across the start line by 6:30am - I suppose if your runners started at the back and traveled around a 16:00/mile pace, and if buses to AK were running early enough to be there before 8am, it might work? But I'm pretty sure you'd need to drive.

If you have a car you can park at the McDonald’s by the AllStars and walk up the ramp to the course. That’s what my DH does. Its pretty easy to get in and out of and it’s right past the 7 mile mark.

Well. After a full three weeks of recovery following Ironman New Zealand (extra buffer time to let a new tattoo heal), just got my first recovery run in on Monday. Talk about not such a great run! To those worrying about last minute training... don't. It's natural this close to the race to feel like you didn't do enough or that sneaking in one more long run is the right thing to do. Trust all the work you've put in to this point. Allow yourself to taper so that you have fresh strong legs to enjoy the race. Can't wait to run with you all! :)

Random question for those of you who have done runDisney races before...what is the size of the bib? I'm decorating our shirts and want to make sure I allow enough room at the bottom so that the bibs don't cover any of the design.

Random question for those of you who have done runDisney races before...what is the size of the bib? I'm decorating our shirts and want to make sure I allow enough room at the bottom so that the bibs don't cover any of the design.

They're about 7 3/4" tall and 8" wide.

A question for anyone who has done this 1/2 marathon course before: is the distance from the staging area to the corrals shorter than it is for WDW Marathon Weekend and Princess? It looks like it is on the map, but hard to know actual distances. Thanks!! :)

A question for anyone who has done this 1/2 marathon course before: is the distance from the staging area to the corrals shorter than it is for WDW Marathon Weekend and Princess? It looks like it is on the map, but hard to know actual distances. Thanks!! :)
yes - you pretty much just walk a few hundred feet into the corral area.

Yep! it's all in the same area, as opposed to the long walk-out for Marathon and Princess weekends.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!