*******Official August 2017 Countdown Thread ~ Feeling hot, hot, hot!!!******

You GO!!!! You'll be there the same time we are, yay :) So excited.

Yay! It's still sinking in that I'm actually going...! I'm excited too!

I planned a last minute (10 days out) trip for myself and 2 girls over spring break last year. lol I went with zero expectations and other than the constant rain, we did everything we wanted. I also didn't even feel like it was overly crowded considering we went over Spring break...we were at MK on Easter.

I say, relax and just enjoy it!

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm packing my ponchos and patience! :rotfl:

Well, we are checked in for our flight. The packing is done including carry on bags and the luggage is in the van. Of course I am having trouble sleeping.

Earlier I was on the WDW Site and ds comes in and says, "I so want to go there. I wish we could go tomorrow." So glad I get to come home tomorrow and tell him we are actually going.

What do you guys think. We have decided to upgrade our tickets to AP when we get there next week. We are trying to decide when would be the best time (or 2) to go next year with these AP. Thinking end of January/beginning of February, in the off season there. May: earlier in the month would be better as far as crowds/prices, but the bounce back offer is for after Memorial day.... third option is August again, although it would put us a week earlier than this year, so essentially this week next year, probably the 16-24 (or something like that). We have done that week in August once before, but prefer end of the month/September, usually, because a lot of kids are back in school. We will probably pick 2 of those, to get more use from the AP. There is currently a sale through SWA for flights from MDW for $79/each in January, which is way cheaper than we've seen thus far for these flights, and less than our flights this year. He did get us a credit on our current trip, which has to be used by 5/29/18 by watching the prices. Only problem is the sale ends tomorrow and DH is hesitant to book the flights before we've even upgraded our tickets.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

What do you guys think. We have decided to upgrade our tickets to AP when we get there next week. We are trying to decide when would be the best time (or 2) to go next year with these AP. Thinking end of January/beginning of February, in the off season there. May: earlier in the month would be better as far as crowds/prices, but the bounce back offer is for after Memorial day.... third option is August again, although it would put us a week earlier than this year, so essentially this week next year, probably the 16-24 (or something like that). We have done that week in August once before, but prefer end of the month/September, usually, because a lot of kids are back in school. We will probably pick 2 of those, to get more use from the AP. There is currently a sale through SWA for flights from MDW for $79/each in January, which is way cheaper than we've seen thus far for these flights, and less than our flights this year. He did get us a credit on our current trip, which has to be used by 5/29/18 by watching the prices. Only problem is the sale ends tomorrow and DH is hesitant to book the flights before we've even upgraded our tickets.

I think I'd go end of January/Feb over the 3rd week in August, that time you're not only dealing with the heat but those crowds!

1 week from right now I'll be on our flight! Hard to believe we made it to the final countdown when we started almost 2 years ago really. We had to cancel last years trip so we've been looking forward to this for a long long time. It has been a very tough year for us and this trip is SO needed. I'm really hoping when I'm there I remember to relax and take it all in. My babies are growing up and I dont know how many more family trips we'll have like this.

Side note, my back is feeling 90% better. Just feeling a little twinge when I move too fast so its safe to say I'll be 100% by next Thursday! I'm just not going to do anything that might aggravate again.

Plus - somehow i ended up with 2 kid free days, last night my son slept at grandma's, my daughter went to a friends, both are sleeping at Grandma's tonight for one last summer sleepover. Woohoo!

Quick break to check in

¼ of the way through the last day at work. Got to love evening flights. I am pretty busy so hopefully that helps. Got in home care and came in super early so I could do a full 8 hours. Kids were still sleeping when I left.

That was the sweetest conversation with my son last night. Other than saying he wanted to go the next day he mentioned a favorite toy who had not been to Florida; so it was my chance to make sure the toy makes it. I mean we haven’t been in three years so it could have been any number of them. When he told me which toy, it was one I already had on the packing list…his crocodile hand puppet, whom he named Crocky. To avoid suspicion I didn’t pack him yet; but I did put him downstairs next to ds’ travel backpack.

He mentioned he remembered staying in the hotel with the dogs (All-Star Movies 101 Dalmations section) and I said yes, we did stay there. Then he mention being on the bus and seeing a hotel with giant red cups. That’s All-Star Sports so I showed him some pictures. He thought it was awesome. It is going to be interesting when he finds out.

Of course I feel like I am forgetting something; but I know I have everything in the “can’t go without it, can’t be replaced easily” category (wallet, phone, ds’ inhaler). Big thing will be making sure what isn’t in the kids’ carry-on bags (electronics they are using during the day) is in before we let ds in on the secret.

Thankfully I loaded the luggage in the van last night after ds went to sleep. There isn’t a whole lot of time in between when I will get home and when we will need to leave for the airport. Didn't have a printer last night after check-in; but printed the boarding passes first thing this morning. If there are no delays, 12 hours from now we should be in Orlando, probably heading towards the “fake o rail”.

Joining the August thread really late... we're driving to Buffalo from Toronto on Saturday to fly to Orlando! Trip has been in the works since November-ish. I can't believe it's almost here. I'm already going through planning withdrawal since now i just need to execute on the plan. Laundry is mostly done so packing should be a breeze. Got all the travel documents ready to go, have lists galore ready... now just need to finish work today (yay!), pack tomorrow and off we go. We'll be in Orlando for two weeks with the first 3 days dedicated to Universal (Harry Potter is a must do for us) and then the rest is all WDW. We're also planning to do MNSSHP for the first time! I've got two Darth Vaders and an Elsa ready to go. I was shocked when my 13 yo DD said she wanted a princess costume - she's generally eschewing all things girly these days. Luckily, I found an Elsa dress online for $5 but paid $25 (!!) for shipping to get it here before the trip. Ah well, the cheapest princess dress in her size anywhere else was $50 so I still came out on top LOL. So excited about this trip... I'm glad these boards are here to share!

Doing the single digit dance! 9 days to go and while I feel like I'm way behind where I like to be in preparations, my facebook memories reminded me that I am actually right on schedule. A year ago today I began packing and literally only had my swimsuits and our ponchos in the suitcase. As of this moment we have all DS's shorts and most of his shirts in it so I'm actually a teensy bit ahead. I've got a few of my things set aside and the rest in the wash so I can get the bulk of my clothes packed tonight.

I was also unpleasantly reminded of the panic attack I had a year ago when I was tearing apart the house searching for the "super safe" spot where I'd stashed our DME tags. Talk about undue stress. DS finally found them the night before we left inside the magic band box. Apparently that was way too safe. This year I stashed them in full view on my living room bookshelf leaning against the MB box. I walk by them at least a dozen times a day and breath a little sigh of relief that I won't be frantically searching the house for them this time.

"I so want to go there. I wish we could go tomorrow." So glad I get to come home tomorrow and tell him we are actually going.
So sweet. I can't wait to hear what his reaction is when you get to finally tell him! Surprise trips are so hard to keep a secret but I think that's half the fun

Side note, my back is feeling 90% better. Just feeling a little twinge when I move too fast so its safe to say I'll be 100% by next Thursday! I'm just not going to do anything that might aggravate again.
YAY! Glad to hear you're on the mend. Take it easy for the next week girl

So, took another quick break and scratched the last big thing off of my to do list. I placed our Amazon Prime Now order. I usually do Garden Grocer; but I didn’t need nearly as much as we have gotten previously. The thing with Garden Grocer is if you don’t need as much it can be cost prohibitive. I have used Prime Now at home successfully; but I saw a YouTube video where the lady used Amazon Prime Now for what they needed at their Disney resort and it seemed pretty easy. The tip was all I had to add instead of the tip and service fee. I set the delivery time so it should be there when we arrive.

Three more hours of work. :surfweb: Then :dancer:

i'd pick a date and book the plane tickets. Once you upgrade to AP you can always adjust the tickets if booked through SW. Also-upgrade tickets on first day so you can enjoy the discounts. I have been busy with work since we got back and haven't had a chance to put all the receipts in a spreadsheet yet, but I'd bet I saved a $100 over the week by upgrading the first day (once I remembered to ask every single time at every place if there was an AP discount!). Plus all the MM maker photos will be available immediately to share.

Of course-once those APs are in hand more trips will be planned (I had 3 trips planned before we even got there this month LOL). ANd now DH is finally on board with a summer trip to "get the use out of these passes" :P. It is a bit easier with tickets paid for, and we can exchange our TS into a Marriot resort so we can do trips with a minimal budget.

So, took another quick break and scratched the last big thing off of my to do list. I placed our Amazon Prime Now order. I usually do Garden Grocer; but I didn’t need nearly as much as we have gotten previously. The thing with Garden Grocer is if you don’t need as much it can be cost prohibitive. I have used Prime Now at home successfully; but I saw a YouTube video where the lady used Amazon Prime Now for what they needed at their Disney resort and it seemed pretty easy. The tip was all I had to add instead of the tip and service fee. I set the delivery time so it should be there when we arrive.
i always used garden grocer, but switched to Prime now starting with the last trip. much, much cheaper.

Hi August planners. Still at Pop and loving it! Afternoon break was well timed as it's been storming for about 1.5 hours while we are in our room resting. Spent the morning at Hollywood Studios. Did R n R, Tot x2, TSM x3, Star Tours, lunch at ABC Com, and a carrot cake cookie, cake pop, toffee from Sweet Spells. Also grabbed a couple of Starbuck drinks along with peanut butter/chocolate cupcake (aka Butterfingers from Starring Rolls). Arrived at Rope Drop and went until 1:30pm and then a quick swim at Pop to cool down. Heading to AK tonight for supper and to see Tree Awakenings / booked a FP for Dinosaur, maybe just walk around Pandora (our AK day is Sunday and we have FoP FP for that day). Safe travels for those on their way!

The good news is I already got the text from Disney. Our room is ready.

The not so good news is our plane is 30 minutes behind. Sure could be worse. At the next gate there is an hour delay and they know folks will miss their connections if they have them. We'll get there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter